Callahan Photos

Fayma Callahan

Articles? I don't have to sign the articles. Read up on ship's surgeons, sir! :(:P

What navy do you think this is...?

Ok, remember you asked, so don't lets everyone gang up on me for dragging facts into the PiP forum...

“Surgeons, too, were always in demand and well paid if they would join a gang, when, in addition to getting a share of any loot, they would be paid as much as 250 dollars a voyage. Generally speaking, any such surgeon was not required to sign articles of agreement if he was only required to undertake professional work." (Thrower, W.R., The Pirate Picture, p. 81)

Thrower is actually not my favorite source, I have a much better one, but the copy of my notes on this computer is not up to date to the notes on my laptop. There is a better explanation of the surgeon/pirate article situation in Leo Eloesser's Article from Annals of Medical History called Pirate and Buccaneer Doctors. Perhaps I will try and get his comments in here this weekend when I am on the laptop with a nice friendly Panara wireless connection.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some more dumb questions.

Who is this guy with the hammer? What crew is he with?

Does anyone know the Oriental Dressed Pirate's name? He's the left most person in line here. He's a vendor in the fort.

Who are these two charming people?

Just what the heck is Cynn doing here? (Ok, that doesn't really require an answer...)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

4) Her name is Liberte Sparrow.

That's not Original Cynn? :ph34r: Someone lied to me...

Mission_banner5.JPG

Just believe me, that is Liberte. I will go no further in my comments.

That was most kind. I'll stay my hand as well. 'Tis tempting to cut loose, though.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Ok, remember you asked, so don't lets everyone gang up on me for dragging facts into the PiP forum...

“Surgeons, too, were always in demand and well paid if they would join a gang, when, in addition to getting a share of any loot, they would be paid as much as 250 dollars a voyage. Generally speaking, any such surgeon was not required to sign articles of agreement if he was only required to undertake professional work." (Thrower, W.R., The Pirate Picture, p. 81)

No, no, no. You misunderstand my question. What navy do you think this is...?

It's the Mercury. We don't follow the example of others. We are an entity unto ourselves.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

It's the Mercury. We don't follow the example of others. We are an entity unto ourselves.

As am I. I don't take your filthy lucre and I don't sign pirate articles!

(So there. ;);) )

I could always become an independent...but then I'd be in Stynky's camp and he'd probably auction off all my surgical equipment when I wasn't looking to buy mead.

Edited by Raphael Misson

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." — Voltaire

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Aye but I have one and an RN who keeps saying in amazement "OMG what the hell is wrong with you now? You don't look good."

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

You can't go independent....

As am I. I don't take your filthy lucre and I don't sign pirate articles!

We pressed you into service.....

Now be nice to us, and we might tell the Friggin Royal Navy that if we ever get caught.......

Course.... we can sell you.... it's not that you have any choice in the matter........

Ah, here we are. Saturday morning, Panara, cuppa' Hazelnut coffee with Nutmeg in it (try it, you'll see) and...Leo Eloesser:

“With the buccaneers, the surgeon seems to have had a salary: ‘Also [they draw out of the common stock] a competent salary for the surgeon and his chest of medicaments, which usually is rated at 200 or 250 pieces-of-eight.’ (Footnote 7: Esquemeling. Op. Cit., p. 60.)” (Eloesser, p. 35)

"The pirate surgeon, however, does not seem to have had to sign the articles. He was taken of a prize and forced to serve until another prize was taken that had a surgeon on board; he was then given his liberty, if he chose, and the new surgeon put in his place.” (Eloesser, p. 36)

“Dow and Edmunds’ report reads:

• The next morning John Kencate, the doctor on board the ‘Ranger’ [Low's Ship] was brought to trial. The Advocate General stated that although the prisoner ‘used no arms, was not harness’d (as they term it) but was a forc’d man; yet if he received part of their plunder, was not under a constant durance, did at any time approve, or join’d in their villanies, his guilt is at least equal to the rest; the Doctor being ador’d among ‘em as the pirates’ God for in him they chiefly confide for their cure and life, and in this trust and dependence it is, that they enterprise these horrid depredations not to be heightened by aggravation, or lessened by any excuse.’
    Capt. John Welland deposed, and that he saw the Doctor aboard the Ranger; he seem’d not to rejoice when he was taken but solitary, and he was inform’d on board he was a forc’d man; and that he never signed the articles as he heard of, and was now on board the deponents ship.
    John Ackin Mate and John Mudd Carpenter, swore they saw the prisoner at the Bar walking forwards and backwards disconsolately on board the Ranger.
    Archibald Fisher Physician and Chirurgion on board the said Greyhound Man-of-War deposed, that when the prisoner at the Bar was taken and brought aboard the King’s ship he searched his medicaments, and the instruments very mean and bad.
    Others testified that the doctor was forced on board, by Low, and that he never signed articles so far as they knew or heard, but used to spend much of his time in reading, and was very courteous to the prisoners taken by Low and his company, and that he never shared with him.
    The Doctor himself said that he was chirurgion of the Sycamore – Galley, Andrew Scot, master and was taken out of that ship in September last at Bonavista, one of the Cape de Verde Islands, by Low and Company, who detained him ever since, and that he never shared with them, nor signed their articles.
    The court then cleared the doctor…

(Footnote 47: Dow and Edmunds, Pirates of the New England Coast. Salem, Mass., 1923, p. 302-303)”

(Eloesser, p. 54)

There's more, but that's enough of Leo. I'll close off with one from Eric Graham's magnificent tome Seawolves: Pirates & the Scots:

“The attrition rate among the pirates to disease and mindless violence was such that skilled men were forced whenever they were captured.” (Graham, p. 112)

:blink::rolleyes:

Mission_banner5.JPG

omg you guys are killing me.. ;)

Glad you got all your questions answered about me Mission, since I haven't been on here.

Yes my real name is Nicole Andreyko <---- there is an e in my last name.. even though certain parties.. ahem.. will remain nameless in the misspelling of it. And I am Morgan Drake of the Sacred Heart Crewe. Johnny is my bf, still no pirate name as of yet.. any suggestions?

Oh and as for our head scarves.... if you really want one, you can go to Nigel's page http://www.nigelsade.com/ and order one. He only has a couple colors up, but if you send him an email, he can make whatever you want. If not, I can always get some at our Ren Fair in Sept. before the next PiP.

I also have lots more photos than what is up on callahandigitalart.com. So if anyone wants something in particular, let me know.

I also have some posted on my myspace page myspace.com/8368236. Videos are also in the works.

I miss you all and can't wait for PiP'09.

Hugs and Rum

Morgan

We are still uploading, but more slowly, so the bandwidth will hold up. My apologies to me dear Morgan for the misspelling... Captain and I rushed just too much and did not catch it when we batched the pics. Keep checking back, there will be more. Also, they can be found on our alternate page at webshots.

Love to all,

Mama Ratzi