Fashion images, colours, etc.

Capt. Sterling

M2002_57_11.jpg

M2002_57_102.jpg

M2002_57_63.jpg

M2002_57_84.jpg

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

M2002_57_83.jpg

Anna_maria_luisa_de_medici_hunting_.jpg

94423Lady-Taking-Coffee-Fashion-Pla.jpg

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Aye, likewise. I fancy that first one as well. Second fav is the red and gold habit.

I can see Cheeky in the purple mantua.

Thank ye, Sterling.

Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Okay Cap ...the first for me only I want green & blue ...a cyan blue with just a touch of yellow to make it a bit towards green and a coppery brocade at the hem. ...Drat ...i need working clothing first. :blink:

Edited by Silkie McDonough

• 2 weeks later...

Sterling... found this site via googling.. had a couple images of period jackets (two that survived from the era do it sounds. maybe).

http://www.marariley.net/jackets/jackets.htm

Or even this place which has a couple surviving mantuas.

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hi/axn_costume.htm

~Lady B

was just at the fabric store, gazing at piles of remnants....... and imagining what i could do with them....{ found a piece i can work with-- muted tan with pale blue flowers jacquarded in......}

got a question---

can some one look at simplicity pattern 3809 and tell me is the top, if a skirt flounce was added and the top of the jacket/ vest could be left off, and would be more period correct.........

if those who sew can reccomend patterns that they use top piece , modify this and that to get a finished garment, i could LOVE the suggestions----

sugggest and reccomend away! any and all suggestions taken and appreciated!

lady constance

was just at the fabric store, gazing at piles of remnants....... and imagining what i could do with them....{ found a piece i can work with-- muted tan with pale blue flowers jacquarded in......}

got a question---

can some one look at simplicity pattern 3809 and tell me is the top, if a skirt flounce was added and the top of the jacket/ vest could be left off, and would be more period correct.........

if those who sew can reccomend patterns that they use top piece , modify this and that to get a finished garment, i could LOVE the suggestions----

sugggest and reccomend away! any and all suggestions taken and appreciated!

lady constance

Hmmm, that fabric sounds a lot like what I picked up! Lovely pattern.

I looked at the pattern (a Renaissance pattern, if I am looking at the right one) ~ I am not sure how you were thinking to use this. Do you have an idea of what you are trying to achieve? It sounds like you are working towards a more historically correct social ("dressed") outfit ~ which, for England, would usually mean a mantua. But, many ladies start with the basics, and work from there: petticoats, chemise, stays, neckkerchief (fichu) and apron (technically undress, but a good place to start, especially if you will be cooking).

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

For Simplicity pattern 3809... :::: shrugs:: Tis not common to see something like that in the 18th c that I'm aware of. Colonial Williamsburg may have some info on jumps similiar to that.

Any other time period of Piracy... I wouldn't have a clue.

However, if sleeves were added to this pattern, then yes, it would be a start towards PC. There are a couple places out there that show engravings of such bodice jackets and even a couple surviving pieces. Beware, though. It appears the cut and look of them variety by providence and even decade/timeframe. At least that's what I've seen of the few pieces at museums showcased online.

:::Looks at the others::: Anyone else know?

~Lady B

For Simplicity pattern 3809... :::: shrugs:: Tis not common to see something like that in the 18th c that I'm aware of. Colonial Williamsburg may have some info on jumps similiar to that.

Any other time period of Piracy... I wouldn't have a clue.

However, if sleeves were added to this pattern, then yes, it would be a start towards PC. There are a couple places out there that show engravings of such bodice jackets and even a couple surviving pieces. Beware, though. It appears the cut and look of them variety by providence and even decade/timeframe. At least that's what I've seen of the few pieces at museums showcased online.

:::Looks at the others::: Anyone else know?

~Lady B

From what I recall reading, the quilted jackets and sleeved jackets were a form of undress ~ for lounging at home, privately or in the company of immediate family.

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

Oh Lady C... look what I found for ye... did you not have a one piece long over gown with a similar cut to this down at PiP? If so just pull the skirts upward like in this picture...

M2002_57_189.jpg

Edited by Capt. Sterling

Crewe of the Archangel

I found this lady's Etsy shop this morning when I was researching fabrics (I know its early 5:00am habit)

womens clothing

I wanted to put it here because I learned a lot reading her description. She shares a lot of details and her research describing the garment.

Now that I know I want to go PC the fabric store was starting to intimidate me so I wanted to do some homework before shopping. I know what's on her sight is a later period. I've been trying to get fabric ideas so I can start looking for PC fabrics on sale at Joanne's.

Looking at a reed corset up close. I'm starting to think maybe I should go 1/2 boned, wow those channels are tiny.

Questions:

Will a full boned really last longer? My thought process when it comes to doing the extra work was that I figure the garment will offer itself support against the support its required to give me if its fully boned, am I right?

Or on half boned if I use heavy upholstery type fabrics that will stand up against the strain in a half boned with success?

I've made a few from store bought costume patterns before. The one that still fits me the best I used a thin denim, plastic boning, and metal grommets, its on its 3rd year with a LOT of wear (I wore it daily at a pirate theater job for almost a year) but its finally starting to fall apart. Not to mention its not PC. I am not sure what kind of fabric weight to get. If I go too heavy I imagine the smaller channels will be hard to sew, to light and it won't last. I really want to take my time on this first PC one and do it right.

Also when thinking about outer wear, I get really nervous about patterns and textures and modern weaves.

Can we discuss fabrics and weights and sheen, and patterns etc etc. How do I know it looks PC, I understand the natural fiber issue but what about weave. Half the time I don't even know what I'm looking at let alone if its PC. How do I tell and what do I look for? Thanks ladies for all your help... oh and Gentleman!! Forgive me... of course I can't leave out Captain Sterling.

RNR2.gif

“PIRACY, n. Commerce without its folly-swaddles, just as God made it.”

Ambrose Bierce

• 2 weeks later...

oh my eyes!!!!!!!

i have been pouring over historical pictures and woodcuts and such-- dutch and flemish painters.. et al....

i have been pouring over all my husband photos of out fits and such at PiP......

all i need to do is SEE it....

then pour over current patterns { like simplicity, butterick....} and piece together this top with this sleeve, add this skirt in this fabric .... KWIM?--just making sure the edges correspond correctly to join together....

puzzle peice making , if you will....

i did purchase one gown at PiP.... liked the lines-- the bodice of the gown is PC... add a flounce/ skirt addition, it can easily be the same thing as haunting lily had instead of a set of stays..... it is already cut andready to go-- justneed to kick the 22 year old off the machine { sorry--lining will hide any machine stitching}

for a mantua, i have bought a childs sized pirate of carribean pattern{ thereaint no adjusting the men sizes for a woman!!} and already know how to adjust the sleeves for mantua.... and adding what i can see in nora waughs book on how the back of the mantua is cut large then pleated/ folded then sewn in/for gathers, i ought to be able to accomplish this..........but out of wool? and then what kind? summer weighted suiting just seems all wrong... the garment would lay well, but ... i think the summer weighted wool would be too many decades ahead as far as being PC......ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! i found a supplier for linen/ wool blended fabric-- and silk/ wool blend... but WHICH one?

and i found 4 yards of a marigold colored 100% silk for 3.50 @ yard-- for a skirt WOO HOO best bargain thus far!!.... and the coordinating overskirt/ mantua in a softly melodic jacquard floral taupe/burgandy/moss green--- but the floral part----- at ten foot ---it would be as Mary Diamond says PFC..... pretty finking close

and i posted on another thread-- where ALL skirts knife pleated?? always knife pleasted? no matter what? never gathered?

and Capn Sterling-- thanks for the photo-- yes the dress i wore at PiP was close... no sleeves...and when i cooked the FIRST thing i did WAS hike that skirt up!!! i am considering taking that dress apart--- to pattern the stays off of that....... and skirt could easily be made shorter--- but it is cotton jacquard--- as it took dye beautifully....{ it was originally cream-- sadly iput allmy effort into my family's clothing...... ahhh.. there will be more PiP's.....

i think you ladies keep your sewing secrets, secret!!!!!!!!... { ok the Cap'n being a man and all, well-- i think he just appreciates his women nicely clothed!!}

let me see if i can get Silas to cooperate and post a few things i have going.........{ i married a pirate saint-- not caring one iota what i purchase at the fabric store}

Lady C

the tremendous difficulty with these wonderful glorious clothing plates is the INABILITY to know for sure if the top and bottom are JOINED together

or are they separate peices of clothing.........

i am sure the artist did his best to make things look prettied---- but were they?

artists who were commisioned, i am sure made sure to take great pains to make everything look beautifully appointed.... like todays home fashion designers have well appointed rooms--a "staging" so to speak.....

and i suppose my weakness and predilection towards being part of a group, and accepted as such, i find to keep PC, it makes it quite difficult--fabric/ weave/ pattern/ material to ensure that stay in PC........

i find that my weakness brings to light others weaknesses.... one playing upon the other!

and these days of late , i have decided that i simply will make a choice--- and if like cinderella my garment is picked to shreds, i shall just go back to the sewing table!!!

why do i have the need to 100% assimilation .......??

who the heck knew that such a thing could generate within my heart and mind such metaphysical realities to be discoverd within myself.......

lady constance

• 2 weeks later...

ok, stratight forward.....

can anyone suggest books titles and authors if possible for researching and getting examples of period clothing or costume?????????? if this is posted elsewhere i am sorry i have been looking and not really finding. Thank you...

I am going to sit down with a seamstress friend and start working on another set of jumps, petticoats, and an apron.

I have 5 yrds of a light blue plaid wool that i am debating on making jumps or stays and a petticoat from. Some lovely cranberry red wool that will eventully end up as a set of stays and petticoat, embroidered to match in a blue colour. I dark merlot wool that i am going to have another bedjacket made from for those colder events. and an intereesting linen that is a tannish with purpe stripes vertical not horizontal ( thank you callenish). besides these projects I am hopeing just to learn my way around sewing enough to get them accomplished by end of summer.

the next project is an actual ball gown...... i shudder to even think on this one so any advice books or screaming saying not what to do is always grand.

the above pictures give alot to think about and come up with. thank you cap'n

salty

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

Waugh's Cut of Women's Clothing and her Corsets and Crinolines books are very helpful...

Also Janet Arnold's Patterns of fashion that covers the 17th thru 19th century (or at least half way through the 19th)

Unfortunately the best place to find some pictures of originals is by hunting on the web... or going through museum picture archives.

Crewe of the Archangel