fire buckets

Dutchman

now that many are recovering or have recovered from PIP, its time to start thinking of new projects. lets see, top o' the list...... for some odd reason fire suppression comes to mind. so i have leather fire buckets dated to the 1650's by the dutch in new york. has anyone ever made a leather fire bucket and would there be any interest if i can make them cheap enough? I'm not saying museum reproduction quality, but practical and better than a tin can.

Aye... and No comments from the peanut gallery as twas NOT my tent on fire...actually no one's tent went on fire... just a lantern and no that wasn't mine either...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I was thinking of making a few pine buckets, wood hoops. Mind you that I have never made such a thing so I'll keep you posted later in the year. Still, it seems like a simple project and once the machines are set turning out a dozen doesn't seem like it would be too difficult. Then we can splice rope handles on.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

“Throughout the sailing ship era, the ships’ decks, sides, masts, yards and sails were frequently set on fire in battle and buckets of urine were used to extinguish the flames…. In close action, ships were often known to set each other alight.” (Vice-Admiral Sir James Watt, “The burns of seafarers under oars, sail and steam”, Injury: the British Journal of Accident Surgery, Vol. 12, p. 71)

Who needs portajohns?

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
“Throughout the sailing ship era, the ships’ decks, sides, masts, yards and sails were frequently set on fire in battle and buckets of urine were used to extinguish the flames…. In close action, ships were often known to set each other alight.” (Vice-Admiral Sir James Watt, “The burns of seafarers under oars, sail and steam”, Injury: the British Journal of Accident Surgery, Vol. 12, p. 71)

Who needs portajohns?

i.... under great sacrafise....volunteer....to fill em up.... :unsure:

yo...Gracies Guy....let us know how they turn out...i think our crewe should have a few on hand....would they come out hard sided?...to stand on their own??...or hung when filled?

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

If I'm thinking along the same lines as Dutch, these fire buckets should be stiff leather and stand on their own...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Hmm.... Period correct or not, I doubt the parks service would be happy with buckets of urine all over the place.... I have a feeling there are at least a few state codes that would break somewhere....

but just think... we'd have that pc smell in a matter of minutes...

Crewe of the Archangel

Between Wet Dogge, PC Patrick and the working and sweating their arses off BIBs I think we were just fine with the PC smell... Besides if I recall, there was already a complaint about it being a little too PC as the port-a-potties were not emptied out over the weekend :)

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

Hmm.... Period correct or not, I doubt the parks service would be happy with buckets of urine all over the place.... I have a feeling there are at least a few state codes that would break somewhere....

kinda smellin like D-troit in the summer..... :unsure: ...ok....spring fall and winter too.....just never knew how pc they were bein??? :unsure:

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

leather buckets to stand on their own. tin #10 cans painted with the reenactors firefighting logo for cheap practial use. they may not be PC but, they'll get over it. I would actually advise against the canvas buckets as firefighting gear. They tend to develope leaks when water is stored long term or seams fail at the worst time with them.

kinda smellin like D-troit in the summer..... :lol: ...ok....spring fall and winter too.....just never knew how pc they were bein??? :lol:

Ugh... why the hell do you live there again????

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

leather buckets to stand on their own. tin #10 cans painted with the reenactors firefighting logo for cheap practial use. they may not be PC but, they'll get over it. I would actually advise against the canvas buckets as firefighting gear. They tend to develope leaks when water is stored long term or seams fail at the worst time with them.

Dutch, how many of the cans do you guys need? We always have a few around (lots of pirate mouths to feed. Tell me what to do to pretty em up for ya and i'll deliver :)

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

I have quite a few large coffee cans sitting around. I've been saving tons of them for a project I've been meaning to get to (but of course haven't yet). I have more than I need squirrelled away, and no fear of procurring more (with the way I drink coffe :lol: ). If they are needed let me know.

That said, if you post the pattern you are using for the paint, I can paint them and transport them to PiP next year to save sending empty coffee cans around the country aimlessly.

Cheers

Edited by michaelsbagley
Michael_banner.jpg

Hmmm we had enough to encircle the large garbage pail which held the water... or at least partially, there is actually a picture some where of the fire buckets.... but I would think perhaps ten per large garbage pail and station one at each "corner" of the camp or in each camp... one per Mercury, one per Bonies, one per Archangel, etc and certainly one by the Hide's cook fire...that way at least we would have something in fairly easy reach to get started with if there was some sort of diasaster.. kind of like have it and hope to God you never have to use it... and frankly odds are this will never happen again, but nothing wrong with being safe than sorry...and I would certainly recommend, like Harry said, cans of clean sand by the cook fires as well for grease fires... what say you Dutch?

...and, yeah I know this is about to come from the PCAR challenged... but I would highly recommend some of the led fake candles for those that really like to leave a light on in the tent while they are away at night... some of them truly look like the real deal and for safety issues after hours, I personally .... see nothing... wrong.. with them... there actually said, I can breathe now

Edited by Capt. Sterling

Crewe of the Archangel

Having dealt with enough uncontained fires the last few months- i think the little LED candles are great. i had not seen the smaller ones till edward and lilly brought them out- had seen the column ones before. granted you don't want to leave them out to be seen durring the day, but at night they are great to lead the way home.

The communal buckets and barrels are a great idea- maybe each event (PIP< BBF< etc..) can have a home supply? each person still needs to bring a bucket or extinguisher for their tent though. and yes, sand for grease fires. unless someone can come up with something easier- #10 cans with a loop? I think smoke and fire have the fire brigade stencil on line.

punishment for messing with the fire barrels-- immediate gauntlet out of camp!

punishment for messing with the fire barrels-- immediate gauntlet out of camp!

Heh, heh, heh....**wicked grin**

granted you don't want to leave them out to be seen durring the day,
**hyperventilating** ack.... Edited by Capt. Sterling

Crewe of the Archangel