Histories, Backstories & Bios

crimsoncrow

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm picturing a ship with scottish pyrates with their kilties swingin in da breezes....lolĀ  :D

Scottish Pirates

I seas in looking through this site so generously offered up by the Lady Alyx that it be briming with info on scottish pirates/history. A very well done site. Although Mr.Wages, ye be well on yer way with yer persona, the owner of said site(Cindy Valler) seems eager ta answer any questions on the subject. Just a thought iffin ye needed more indepth info. Already yer persona reads as a well thought out one ... good job.

I also noticed that Ms.Valler will be one of the speakers at the upcoming event pyratecon.

http://www.pyratecon.com/home.html

one more reason for me to try and make this event, I needs more loot

Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

• 1 year later...

On the old pub site, we had a little area to fill out as far as your bios. Now some of us may know each other well (fairly, wishing or otherwise), but where did you come from. What is your pirate 'character' background? Many of us participate online in the fiction section of the pub, telling tales and stories of piracy, privateering and such. Many of us also participate in person in many of the Renn faires, Reenactor fests, Privateer Days, and living history stories across the U.S. In participating in any of the aforementioned activities we tend to create a history of our birth, special skills we have, or an odd fact that may describe why we act the way we do 'in character'. In short, many of us have a 'backstory' as to who we are, piratically speaking.

So.

Who are you? Wot's your story? <_<

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

I haven't had much of a chance to play in character but I do have a bit of a bio and background for my character.

Her name is "Hellfire" Hannah Smythe, She was born in Bristol in about 1674 or thereabouts to a man who helped equip the Royal Navy with weapons on board ship.(cannon, boarding axes and the like). She had a younger brother but he died very young.

Her & her family moved to Port Royal in 1684 and were subsequently all killed during the 1692 earthquake. During said earthquake she recieved a nasty crack on the head and hasn't been quite right since. She think the rat that is usually perched on her hat or shoulder is her deceased father and talks to him refering to him as either Robert or father. She also considers the rat good luck in finding ill gotten gains.

She carries few weapons, a boarding axe, and a dagger are her main weapons(cause hubby won't let me get pistols, or muskets, or well you get the picture). But those she does carry she is very dangerous with.

That's about as far as I've gotten so far I'm still working on it.

siggy.jpg

Hmm.... don't think I explained much of th' story b'hind Lady B in the last thread on said subject. So... here be a run down of it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Born Anastazia Elisabeth De Colbe in the British American Colonies to a blacksmith (as my dad in real life is a tool and dye maker, a dying trade truthfully) and the daughter of a local merchant. Young Anastazia was raised to be a Gentlewoman of Colonial society but Ana's wild spirit & curious nature kept her from being the proper Gentlewoman. Secretly, Anastazia became intregued with pirates. Including Blackbeard. Whom she dreamed of meeting until news of his demise came from the hand of Lieutenant Maynard. Other pirates grabbed her attention as she was a young girl.

At aged 13, she frequented the countryside and forests, befriending an old Cherokee called Uncle Delphi. Her father did not approve of this by any means and did all necessary to keep Ana from the old Cherokee. She, however never forgot about the old Cherokee. Granted, her father never approved of anything she was involved in.

Growing up into a lovely young woman, her romanticism with pirates dimmed. However, she did not stop wanting to learn archery, horsemanship, history, world geography, marksmanship with pistols & other weapons all the while being a Gentlewoman of Society.

When 17, she was to gain an inheiretance but never received anything as her father squandered it all upon himself and left them. As war loomed this forced the young woman to down a Fateful path. Whisked away from her from home and taking her into the midst of battle, forced to Fort Symington by Dr Canard to kill a man there named Captain Sydenham Poyntz. She met him but instead of killing himā€¦ she warned him of the attempt. Poyntz then was able to kill Canard. While her brief half-week at Fort Symington she became infatuated with the foreigner but he was unable to return her affections as he left too soon and she never saw him again. Also while at the Fort she was raped by a brutal murderer named Munson Miller who disguised himself as a shopkeeper at the Fort. Miller and Poyntz left in the middle of the night under cover of darkness, leaving the civilians including Ana at the Fort. At sunrise it was when she discovered along with everyone else that they had been abandoned. Allowed to leave the abandoned Fort by the opposing army, she sought to return home. But returning home proved too difficult a task. During her wanderings she joined the British Army as a campfollower for a time until she gave birth to a bastard son she named William. She eventually left her son with acquantances to continue with the Army. Troubles befell between her and the Army. Soon finding her way to the opposing forces to help in their struggles. First in disguise as a soldier and dragoon. Serving well in the Army as a good Dragoon, seeing battle after battle and surviving each one, some just barily. Swiftly making comrades as well as enemies. On such enemy was Colonel John Doddard. Humiliated, tortured, and every sort of trial one could face during a war she survived, continuing to serve until she was discovered. Then she tried to assist as a camp follower until the end of the war.

After the war, she once again crossed paths with John Doddard - who at first loathed the young woman for pretending to be a soldier and not being a proper Lady. Helping to return her to the Colonies, he took a fancy to Ana, wooed her and later they were engaged. He was reassigned to the Caribbean with his Regiment. She later joined Doddard in the Caribbean where they were to marry. It was here she met Big Ben, a former pirate who was given a pardon & found himself in a profitable business of a tavern - the Journey's End - and a ship - the Beggar's Chance - for shipping. But barely a month after she arrived and awaited Doddard's return from his duties, he was killed in action during a battle with the Spaniards. Doddard's death threw her in a depression & sent her off on travel crazes.

In the Caribbean, she met a Spaniard - who at first she loathed but later befriended - and a Frenchman who traveled with her throughout the New World from the lands of New Spain once part of the Incan and Aztec Empires up to the wilderness regions of the French Territories beyond the British Colonies.

Peacetime saw no need for someone like her to return to the Army. So she resorted to anything to survive eventually highway robbery which she became rather good at to the point a large bounty was upon her head. Forcing her to flee a couple times in order to avoid death.

As she fled, she was taken captive. Whisked away to Madagascar where she was sent to the Orient for slave trade. Coming under the possession of a Persian, Ana became a Harem Slave in service to the Wife of the Persian. Not liked by most in the Harem, she was luckiy eventually to fall into the good graces of the Persian's Mother. She come to learn that Big Ben was a good ally to the Persian when he came to visit. The Persian relinquished Ana to Big Ben and she joined him in Privateering expeditions to regain the stolen wealth the British had obtained from Persia.

Serving the Sultan with Big Ben for just over 2 years, having obtained & lost ships & wealth. The Sultan was very pleased with Ben & Anastazia. Giving Ana much wealth in return - gold, silver, jewels, jewelry, fine silks & fabrics, spices, even a couple horses, a falcon, a white tiger, & more. Big Ben made her master & commander of the Beggar's Chance while he retired to Madagascar. The Beggar's Chance was soon enough damaged and scuttled but at that same moment she commandeered a prize East Indiaman which she renamed the Resurrection. New ship, more crew, large prize obtained, and the promise of more kept her in command though with her 'officers' gave the illusion that she wasn't the Captain but merely a passenger and that her First Mate, Graves, was in charge. Making it all appear as though the Resurrection were nothing more than a trade vessel. Success and a price on their heads, the decision was made to retire and leave the waters of the ancient world to return to the New World.

Retirement was a short lived option. And no one knows exactly what happened to Anastazia. But a few men dare to tell the tale that as she attempted to round the Straights of Magellan. Some say she was in a bloody battle that caused her ship to founder. Some say her vessel was smashed upon razor sharp rocks. Some say lightning struck her ship and it sank in a storm. But all will tell ye that all aboard met their demise as she crossed paths with either Davy Jones, Billy Bones or Skull Duggary. Be this true or not, one never knows, no one dares to find out. But most swear that the sight of the Resurrection often means a bad omen or death.

Mystery continues to surround this wicked Lady. Some say she's a curse, some say she's a blessing. Her allies and enemies range from Governors of every sort and heirarchy, Military men and lowly men to the common seaworthy rabble and street urchin. A "sister" of the Syren to a siren of Davy Jones. Immortals and mortals of all sorts. She's made many allies... and many enemies.

The story of Lady Barbossa does not end here. It shall continue on for a long, long time.

When and where Anastazia may have met Hector Barbossa, one never truly knows. Often parting and going their seperate ways but would cross paths once again reuniting throughout their lifetime. Now, how she gained the title Lady Barbossa, only the Lady and Captain know that one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tis the general story of Lady B. But not the complete story. It's still an ongoing story that needs many more adventures to tell. And many more characters to help create those adventures. <_<

~Lady B

Edited by LadyBarbossa

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

• 2 months later...

I was working as a dental assistant in London's posh Knightsbridge area. Our clientele were predominantly Lords and Ladies and other members of the aristocracy. There were two girls who came in for treatment whom i am happy to say I befriended. We always had such a good laugh and often we would go for a drink together after I had finished work. They would tell me stories of their work at the playboy club as bunnies and I would just sit in total awe.

One day they suggested that I go to the upcoming audition at the club... blah blah, there was, needless to say the obligatory lack of confidence and a million and one reasons why I shouldn't. But hey, I went and what's more got the job!!!

I started as a Croupier Bunny and attained my two certificates as a competent dealer of roulette and blackjack. When I first joined, Croupier Bunnies were still wearing hot pants and a waistcoat.....

:(

Oh WAIT! That be Bunny Pepper's bio!!!!

:P I still be learn'n me self t' multi-task...

Me own Bio? Well, still work'n out th' fine details, it be a might fuzzy after much rum but I know me da hails from what now be known as Germany, he was but a humble fisherman but with all th' fuss that lead after Holy Roman Empire he head t' England where he met me mum, a fine Irish lass o' fine breeding. But even in England they found their kind was not much welcome, treated rather poorly in fact. Me da secured passage on a merchant ship t' colonies in what we know call America...still working out th' details (like I said, much rum involved). Th' ship was attacked by Spanish pirates...we were prisoners...th' Spanish cur were attacked by English....me da was exicuted, me mum told me t' flee, I jumped ship....found me self in th' Caribbean..

Like I said, still work'n out them details.....damn details.....need another rum....now, what was Bunny Pepper up to??

<_<

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

::: :( to MadL:::

Why thank ye, GentlemenScotty. But not Ale. Don't quite enjoy spirits along the beer family so t' speak. Rum, whiskey, limon cello, wine, irish cream, etc... I can handle. Tis a persona's history that 'll change constantly and addin' allies & enemies til th' day I stop portrayin' th' Lady.

~Lady B

• 2 weeks later...

I've always found, a Pyrate with an unknown past is hard to pin down, or hang.....I will say me Grandfather was from Scotland, and hung for Piracy being betrayed by the Nobles who commissioned him. There dastardly names arrayed on his Letters of Marque, which he was never allowed to recover for his defense. As soon as I could I went to sea to avenge this mis-justice. And as for now, Have met with much success around Barbados.....But still want the Lords that betrayed me Gran-Dar....Mostly I seem a happy go lucky Rogue, but I do have me Dark Past, which I keep hidden from all but a select few. I usually stand up in defense of the underdog..." A friend in need, is a friend indeed." I try to stay out of the "Limelight", and avoid divulging my business openly....Those what know me, know I'm a good and Godly man. Those what don't, be ware....I can be very Dangerous, and as such, shouldn't be crossed or betrayed.........Iron Hand...

Commader of the Iron Brigade and Captain of the goode ship "Revnge"

galleon_25235_th1.gif Iron Hand's Plunder Purveyor of Quality Goodes of questionable origins

Hey, I have two... no wait,... three different personas... Pyrate, Buccaneer and Airship Pyrate....

SO I'll start wit Patrick Hand th' Pyrate first....

OK... there is a lot that I haven't quite figured out yet.... such as where I was born.... I started out as a good honits sailor, lerned me job/trade an' was good at it... but it all turned sour when a snottie nosed midshipman got into trouble because of 'is own stupitity... after getting a tongue lashin' from the Captain, he spent th' resta 'is day making our lives miserable.....Th' little brat ergh... gentleman... ordered me ter do somethin' wot couldn't be done,(I was doin' somethin' else, and couldn't follow 'is (stupid/childish order at the time)) an' I got lashed fer insubordination.....

Night watch.... th' little brat ended up wit a rag stuffed down 'is throat anna buncha cannon balls tied inside 'is breaches... little #$(@* couldn't swim very well after I tosed 'im ov'r th' side.....

I jumped ship an' jined up wit th' Pyretes....

SO now I'm jus' 'nother scummy Pyrate.........

As Mad Capn Bob, I ain't got nothin' fer ye. No epic story, no travels, nuffin. Of course, since Mad Capn Bob is basically *me*, there really *is* quite a bit to tell...many miles be under me keel, as't were.

However, under a tentative persona of Capn Allen Curtice (for SCA porpoises), that's something I'm working on. Details are fuzzy (too much kill-devil?) and the story may change (depending on whom I'm trying to impress), but...

Allen Curtice: Buccaneer, Caribbean basin, mid 17th century. Originally came to Barbados as indentured servant, got fed to the back teeth with that after a bit, stole a boat and made his way to Tortuga. Kitted out and lived as a hunter on north coast of Hispaniola for a time.

OR

Originally a soldier in Cromwell's army and a member of the Levellers. Fled to the Caribbean when Cromwell cracked down on the Levellers, lived as a hunter on Hispaniola for a while.

Here's where the versions converge: Involved in the usual clashes with the Spanish. Fitted out a periagua with some of the boys, took a small Spanish vessel, and thus began a career of piracy. Relocated to Cagway (aka Port Royal) when Jamaica was taken by the English, sailed on some of Myngs' expeditions, then with Morgan. Possibly with L'Ollonais as well. Present at the sack of Panama.

That's it, short and sweet...I haven't worked out any dates yet (or figs, for that matter) besides the obvious ones.

I also haven't figured out how to work flintknapping into it...hey, maybe I was shipwrecked on a wild coast for a time as was befriended by an ancient Indian flintknapping master! Aye, that might do...

Damn, thats sharp!

Born 1673 Died 1730

Born, a bastard son to a wealthy and influential Bristol merchant. Went to sea at an early age before being brought back into his father's family to replace the legitimate heir who had fallen ill and died. Sterling married against his father's wishes and was disowned, but not before he was able to purchase his own merchant ship the Hart.

The Hart ran aground in a storm off the coast of North Africa and surviving crew were captured, including Sterling and sold into slavery in Algiers. His ransom was not paid off for three years, during which time, he lost his eye and suffered from the bastinado. In constant pain, he was finally returned to England and his family; he was never able to fully recover his health. He began working for his father, at first captaining one of his father's merchant ships and then a privateer vessel to help support England's efforts in the on going wars.

During this time his wife gave birth to a young daughter named Sarah, and Sterling took on as wards the two Merriweather boys, whose father he had known in Algiers.

With the success of several prizes taken and the additional support of a secret investor, he was able to purchase an ex-slaver, refitted her and renamed her the Archangel.

With a merchant background, Sterling viewed pirates as a distinct disadvantage to his profession. He finally set out, along with several others such as Benjamin Hornigold, aiding governors such as Woodes Rogers and Alexander Spotswood, in an attempt to put a stop to piracy.

Emptying his pockets when ever necessary to promote this particular goal, keeping a small plantation he purchased in Virginia afloat, as well as trying to balance numerous mistresses, he returned to his wife after a particularly public and foolish affair with an actress and tried to make things right. Instead he found himself in debtors' prison, not once but twice. His only son, born several months before his first incarceration, died whilst he was in prison. His wife and he quickly drifted apart afterward, she behaving as if Sterling had died as well. She moved to London a year later, she ceasing to communicate with him. Sterling refused to divorce his wife as his father requested and continued to remain married to her, supporting her as best he could.

He spent the remainder of his life as a pirate hunter successfully ending many a career, learning never to trust a woman, and bringing up three wonderful children.

Oh and whilst he lived, he managed to keep Cousin Robbie out of the nut house.

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

LOL... Great background history, Sterling. :)

But ye have yet t' deal a deadly blow t' this Lady... and is NOT one of his Mistresses. :::evil grinz::: But them damned slavers in them parts... they do call fo' some dealin' with, do they not?

~Lady B

Trust me, he's DONE with mistresses... and as to hanging ye Lady B... tis not allowed in the state of Wisconsin... ;) so don't ever expect to be swinging at Port Washington....I think ye are safe indeed..

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Good. Tis m' goal t' stay away from th' Hangman's Necklace an' not perform th' hempen jig. ;)

~Lady B

There ye go, everything worked out according to plan!

Crewe of the Archangel

Yo'r plan? or my plan? who's plan? Woodes plans t' have us all hanged an' dead!

Tis the fun thing about persona bios, too, is that it's possible to connect a persona to another especially if ye crossed paths at events. I've incorporated that with Sparrow as well as members of the Archangel, and others... it helps to add flavor to a character. Fascinates people when a persona talks about someone else or who to avoid, etc.

~Lady B

Yo'r plan? or my plan? who's plan? Woodes plans t' have us all hanged an' dead!

Tis the fun thing about persona bios, too, is that it's possible to connect a persona to another especially if ye crossed paths at events. I've incorporated that with Sparrow as well as members of the Archangel, and others... it helps to add flavor to a character. Fascinates people when a persona talks about someone else or who to avoid, etc.

~Lady B

Yer plan, certainly not mine....

.... the "wrath" of Syren? What? getting whacked on the arm with her fan and kicked in the shin once in awhile??

Crewe of the Archangel

You know, I was having trouble with my BIOS, but I downloaded the latest version from Dell and now everything seems to be OK.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG