Cannon 6-Pack

HarborMaster

I had a thread about these cannons at one time ., however I have lost the thread and also changed servers myself . This means all pics of any posts I had made with pics .., no longer have pics. Our new server provided by Dreamhost is a 10 year license so these pics will be around for a while I hope.

In my earlier thread I explained we had to meet a certain criteria for shipping (Fit into a 24"box) due to costs . Also when buying metals (Round bar) it comes in 13"increments . There for to build a 27 inch long cannon costs the same as building a 39 inch ., when buying material for one. These cannons are not anything period correct or otherwise . These are a collaboration of what I personally like in many differant cannons.

I very much liked the back of the breech on an 1841 6 pounder while the flat button cascabel of a Civil War Pack Parrot I liked as well. So ., we combined them both for my breech. I do like the English 18 and 24 pounder re-enforcement rings however I do not like the double re-enforcement in front of the trunnion ., so we settled on 1 . Also we stole (pirated) the muzzles from the USS Constitution. I like those ALOT.

We figured with a 1.50"bore we would need 4.5 X 26 per barrel. Since these will be in a salt water enviroment we chose 304 Stainless (Propeller Shaft) for our metal instead of a mild steel.

6-pack_001.jpg

Meanwhile while all of this was happening I let my friend Wes know that I wanted a 1.5" bore. Right away Wes started to build the drill bit for my bore. Instead of buying several bits for drilling 4 cannons from stainless and 2 in bronze Wes decided to buy one bit and make a few copies.

6-pack_002.jpg

I am finding I have to break this post into pieces ., The forum will not allow as many photos at a time.

Rich

Edited by HarborMaster

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Later wes made the bit shaft to do the drilling.

6-pack_003.jpg

6-pack_004.jpg

6-pack_005.jpg

This bit has a hole drilled thru it so that Wes can get a collant lubricant thru the bit at the bits tip to keep things cool and help flush out the stainless chips ., this helps to avoid binding as well.

Edited by HarborMaster

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

During this time I was working on my plan.

6-pack_006.jpg

These are shots of the barrels in the early stages at Wes home lathe.

6-pack_008.jpg

6-pack_009.jpg

6-pack_010.jpg

Edited by HarborMaster

During this time the company Wes works for offered to let him use the lathe at work. He has been schooling for this particular lathe for the past year. His boss is allowing him to build my cannons for the new lathes break in as well as Wes's initial use on the new lathe. So ., he took my blue print and converted it to the CAD program this new CNC monster uses. Later he was able to convert the CAD back to me in PDF format.

6-pack_007.jpg

Here is a pic I got last week.

6-pack_011.jpg

More to come ......., oderlesseye ..., I didnt forget you ., I think you were the only one interested? ;)

Rich

I have been reading yar post...yesterday and today..Nice work Wes has done..I only wish i had access to machinery as he does...My work will not allow out side projects.. I was expecting pics of them on yar scuba boats and perhaps one being fired.. Have ye built swivels for these or small carriges.

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

I have been reading yar post...yesterday and today..Nice work Wes has done..I only wish i had access to machinery as he does...My work will not allow out side projects.. I was expecting pics of them on yar scuba boats and perhaps one being fired.. Have ye built swivels for these or small carriges.

I would love to be taking pics off the boat ., but not yet ;) . I did post a bronze swivel we made last year ., that will be used for the boat. As far as Carriages ., Its much better for me to build them in the PH as opposed to shipping those $$$ Its spendy shipping barrels but my machining friends live here. Speaking of Wes here are a few more shots I got of him producing the bore .., as you can see there is plenty of wall thickness left on these tubes to pass inspection ! Good to hear from you Eye.

Tropicossixpack002.jpg

Tropicossixpack001.jpg

Here is an interesting shot. the bit Wes made is working pretty good. You can see the lubricant-coolant draining the chips out of the bore.

He is saving the bronze chips for casting my Square-caps (trunnion caps). Here is a practice run of that ..., this is what I call a trunnion-bar ., sound delicious dont it? Like a breakfast food? Trunnion Bars ! just slice off what the width it ..., then face them together and drill out the center for the trunnion diameter.

Brass002.jpg

Edited by HarborMaster

Great info on your cannon project, HarborMaster !!! I especially like the in-progress shots. I do quite a bit of lathe work myself, and am always interested in how someone else tackles a set-up on the machine. Keep 'em coming....

>>>> Cascabel

Thanks everyone ., I am just very grateful to see part of my dream coming around . I have alot to be thankful for this year. I believe Wes will be sending me a few muzzle shots soon. Also he made a mention of mill-pockets on the barrel for the trunnions ., sort of an after Thanks-Giving meal weekend ., so i'll be waiting myself with great anticipation. :o

Rich

Edited by HarborMaster

Thanks everyone ., I am just very grateful to see part of my dream coming around . I have alot to be thankful for this year. I believe Wes will be sending me a few muzzle shots soon. Also he made a mention of mill-pockets on the barrel for the trunnions ., sort of an after Thanks-Giving meal weekend ., so i'll be waiting myself with great anticipation. :D

Rich

great looking guns, i like your design. i was stationed in the PI for 2yrs at subic bay in the late 70's. still have my bontoc war shield and a nice collection of bolo's. how is the san miguel?

great looking guns, i like your design. i was stationed in the PI for 2yrs at subic bay in the late 70's. still have my bontoc war shield and a nice collection of bolo's. how is the san miguel?

Why thank you sir ! I love these new cannon and am greatful for Wes to work on them for me. I have heard many a good story from sailors and airmen stationed in the PI ., most loved it ., however the military keeps one pretty busy and it doesnt leave one enough time to really enjoy alot of "Whats out there".

bamcan.jpg

I would like to take a moment however and say to you personally ., Thank You for your service L. Silver . 5.gif Because of the services I am free to do these cannon ! The San Miguel you say ., delicious as always ., however a little warm., sound familiar? 4.gif

I just got a teaser from Wes ..., Muzzels. 2 Bronze and 2 Stainless.

6-pack_012.jpg

Edited by HarborMaster

Why thank you sir ! I love these new cannon and am greatful for Wes to work on them for me. I have heard many a good story from sailors and airmen stationed in the PI ., most loved it ., however the military keeps one pretty busy and it doesnt leave one enough time to really enjoy alot of "Whats out there".

bamcan.jpg

I would like to take a moment however and say to you personally ., Thank You for your service L. Silver . 5.gif Because of the services I am free to do these cannon ! The San Miguel you say ., delicious as always ., however a little warm., sound familiar? 4.gif

I just got a teaser from Wes ..., Muzzels. 2 Bronze and 2 Stainless.

6-pack_012.jpg

i am touch. your welcome. mean looking cannon crew you have there, that pic bring back memories. i had a good time there, did work alot, i was there during the iranian hostage thing. i worked outside for awhile never worked anywhere hotter and that rainy season was something.

I hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving ? Twas delicious indeed ! Whilst we were all away after eating the roast beast ., Wes was of course burning the midnight oil. I recieved this piece of news in my email over the weekend .

6-pack_013.jpg

Looks like a Merry Christmas will be on the way for Tropico ! I gotta figure 6 more names now !

Edited by HarborMaster

Damn Sweet!!! a six pack ye say.....what would an entire case run??? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:ph34r: Ahhhhhhh., At Least 4 Times What a Six-Pack costs Kind Sir ! :ph34r::D

Edited by HarborMaster

Wes worked on these all weekend. He managed to get the trunnion pockets milled into the barrels and threaded. I need the trunnions to be removable for shipping. Here are the pictures.

The mill has a table that is 25" X 60"

6-pack_014.jpg

Here is an action shot. Using a 1/2" carbide endmill to get through that stainless.

6-pack_015.jpg

Here is the finished pocket. We had to move the trunnions so the barrels wouldn't point at the ground all the time.

6-pack_016.jpg

The CNC is kind of like a "Bull in a China store" when it comes to threading. Better to do this by hand.

6-pack_017.jpg

Edited by HarborMaster

Looks like 1/2 -13 tap thar..Wes has done ya justice! Can't wiat to see them firing...

Perhaps ye best get on the stick and order ye powder! eagh eagh.. Elf delivery of course..

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."