Working with ill Lad who wants to be a pyrate

Scupper

Ello mates.

Again my thanks for helping me give Josh some swag and make his Christmas piratical. He absolutely loved the derringer, hat and the hand drawn map. He listens to the cds and has his pirate birthday card over his hospital bed along with Blackbeard's colors. As of today, his future is grim. A bone marrow transplant did not work and the doctors have run out of options. He is doing ok right now. They constantly monitor him and begin a treatment the minute he shows some ailment. His parents say he will most likely not leave the hospital again.

I will always remember Josh and what he has taught me. No matter how bleak your life. No matter the stress, pain or whatever might be troubling you. Keep smiling and upbeat. Whatever it is can't beat you if you don't let it.

And it is true. You can teach an old sea dog new tricks!!

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

Scupper,

Your last post, has trully brought tears to my eyes. I wonder if we could still do something for him, such as a handmade book like Patrick and the others have done with stories and artwork. A book with stories, pictures, photographs of pyrates, pyrate events and ships, dreams and wishes of pyrates. At least he could have it with him and he could think about the pyrates that are here thinking and rooting for him? We just could not dilly dally with it and would have to get it done for him in the utmost quickest fashion. But I think we could do it.

What do you folks think?

e270_2.JPG

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg

Scupper,

That truly is hearbreaking to hear. I wish the transplant had taken. I take it they have the lad on reverse isolation at the hospital, aye? If he is, it will be difficult to get/give him things for fear of infection from microbes on the objects (including fresh flowers and fruit). How are his parents holding up? How is he truly holding up? Please do keep us all updated on Josh and his condition.

Wonder if there is anyway the hospital could set up a 'clean' laptop so he could recieve e-mails while in the hospital .... at least that way he could electronically get things (pictures, letters, etc) from any interested pirates (BIG hint there). Scupper, since you are 'on the scene' - could you/would you play go-between and see if hospital policy would allow such a thing and if it is truly feasible to pull off (does hospital IT have a spare laptop with wi-fi capabitility?)? I for one would glady sign up to send him things if so.

Yours,

Emerald

Captain Emerald Shaunassey O' The Salty Kiss

www.TheLadiesoftheSaltyKiss.com

Hello mates. Thanks lady Alyx. i know he loves getting anything pirate. i brought him a POTC tattoo I found from the premier of the 1st movie and he had to have it on right away!! LOL he cracks me up. As far as isolation goes Capt S. We still visit and both him as well as vistors are suited and masked. Most of what is going on with his condition sails right on over ol Scupper's head. he is recieving limited gifts depending on the doctor's approval. So if anyone wants to send something please do before it is too late to get it to him.

Great idea about the laptop or a pc at the hospital. I'm going there Saturday and i'll ask. Thanks for another great idea Emerald!! You are a sweetie.

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

• 3 weeks later...

I talked to Scupper a bit ago, not bout this thread but his PC blew his bilgepump and he's waiting for a new one. I'll see about calling him soon for an update.

sounds like a wonderful thing you all did.. there is a lad on Extreme home makeover who has a pirate bedroom, and a handful of health problems. The lad is around 10..

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I am surprised that the groups that help ill children don't set up blog's for people to send greeting and wishes or even just dialog with sick kids. I am sure it gets lonely in the hospital with the same family and doctors and nurses to see. Outside influences my just perk up sick kids. Granted there are wierdo's out there, but many blogs have a screener before someone's post get's published.

Just a thought.

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg