Working with ill Lad who wants to be a pyrate

Scupper

In my work as an entertainer of children at the local Barnes and Noble. I have met a young lad who is terminally ill. He wants to be a pirate! Over the last 6 to 7 months I have seen him numerous times either at my events or in my travels. His birthday is 14 December. A few years back i remembered The crew from Tales of the Seven Seas did a wonderful thing and put together a small treasure chest of donated swag for a young one. Would anyone be interersted in donating some items for Josh? I have a small chest I am donating along with some other stuff. Should anyone wish to particiapte, please let me know.

my snail mail address is

Scupper Burke

83 Main St Apt B

Newington CT 06111

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

Scupper,

How old is the lad? My business sells lots of different pirate toys but I wouldn't want to send anything that would be age inappropriate. I have bags-o-pirates, for instance. WOuld that work?

Blackbead

"In the end, it's not the gold that sets our sails,

'Tis freedom and the promise of a better life

That raises our black flags."

Scupper,

How old is the lad? My business sells lots of different pirate toys but I wouldn't want to send anything that would be age inappropriate. I have bags-o-pirates, for instance. WOuld that work?

Blackbead

Sorry i didnt include josh's age. he's about to turn 14. Sounds great captain!

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

Hmmm, most of me toys would be considered kind of "babyish" by a strappin' 14 year old. I'll see if I got a pirce of jewelry that might be more to his likin'. When do ye need this by?

My thanks mate! Dec 13th if possible. Thanks again

In my work as an entertainer of children at the local Barnes and Noble. I have met a young lad who is terminally ill. He wants to be a pirate! Over the last 6 to 7 months I have seen him numerous times either at my events or in my travels. His birthday is 14 December. A few years back i remembered The crew from Tales of the Seven Seas did a wonderful thing and put together a small treasure chest of donated swag for a young one. Would anyone be interersted in donating some items for Josh? I have a small chest I am donating along with some other stuff. Should anyone wish to particiapte, please let me know.

Scupper,

I've a gold sash and a museum replica of a small black powder deringer bearing the date 1797, I do belive. Look for a package from Oklahoma within the next few days. What with a holiday this week and just now seeing your post, it may be delayed in arrival to you until next week.

My hat is off to ya mate, what a wonderful thing you be doing. Has the lad confided in ya how long his doc has given him to enjoy life?

Fair winds my friend,

Emerald

Captain Emerald Shaunassey O' The Salty Kiss

www.TheLadiesoftheSaltyKiss.com

Thank you mates!!

Josh's parents confided in me that he has one last shot at extending his young life. But even that will not let him see beyond his next couple of birthdays. He's actually very upbeat and funny as hell. I gave him a copy of the Crimson Pirate. 3 days later his mom called and said he had rigged a rope from the play scape and was swinging like a pirate in the rigging! Thanks again mates for helping me with this. i'll take some pics of the horde and the birthday boy.

Thank you mates!!

Josh's parents confided in me that he has one last shot at extending his young life. But even that will not let him see beyond his next couple of birthdays. He's actually very upbeat and funny as hell. I gave him a copy of the Crimson Pirate. 3 days later his mom called and said he had rigged a rope from the play scape and was swinging like a pirate in the rigging! Thanks again mates for helping me with this. i'll take some pics of the horde and the birthday boy.

Sounds like one h*lluva lad to me. I admire his parents for letting him just be a kid and enjoy what time he's got left. I look forward to seeing the pictures! The package went out yesterday priority mail with delivery confirmation - not willing to take a chance on something this important being lost in the depths of USPS h*ll.

Well done my friend, well done.

Emerald

Captain Emerald Shaunassey O' The Salty Kiss

www.TheLadiesoftheSaltyKiss.com

My thanks lass. I love seeing the kiddees as they look wide eyed as I regale them with tales of rebellion, sea battles and horded treasure. He's quite thelittle mate. Again my thanks

Scup

Thank you mates!!

Sounds like one h*lluva lad to me. I admire his parents for letting him just be a kid and enjoy what time he's got left. I look forward to seeing the pictures! The package went out yesterday priority mail with delivery confirmation - not willing to take a chance on something this important being lost in the depths of USPS h*ll.

Well done my friend, well done.

Emerald

Emerald ye swag arrived today. he's gonna go nuts!! thanks Luv. Anything i can do for you or anyone contributing, name ye price.

Scupper

My Thanks capt. ferandia ye swag arrived yesterday. Love the card. my thanks

Scupper

Scupper,

Well, I searched the hold from fore to aft and I never did find anything that I carry that a 14 year old lad would like! I have toys for the kiddies and all of the jewelry in me current inventory looked too "lassy" to work. I'm sorry indeed to not be able to be a part of this great 'venture but I applaud your efforts, standing tall. Good on ye lad, especially at this time of the year!

Blackbead

Sounds like a wondrous thing ye be doin' fer the lad... if'n ye can send us his name and such we could add him as an honorary member of the Pyrates Union.. send him his very own card n' such... i know it be a bit late.. but like others i just found this here in the threads...

perhaps ye could ask his parents to contact us through the Pyrates Union site and we'll get him set up...

http:/pyratesunion.com

look fo'ard te seein' the photos of th' lads B-Day... i'm sure h'll be right chuffed at what ye arr doin'...

~QM Seika Hellbound~

We ain't no stinking Parrots!!!"

piratepenguins.gif

Me thanks mates. I packed up all the lad's swag and the gear I was donating and made me way to his home port. Alas, Josh was at the very moment back at the hospital. His parents assure me he will be home for the holiday so I have all his gear and will be making it a combination birthday, yuletide visit. for anyone that still wishes to send something, please feel free to add to the plunder!! If anyone has a pirate or privateer local union pin, he was asking about them. Said he saw them at a Renn faire on a few pirates hats. I don't know where to get them or I'd order him one. I can't wait till he opens the gifts and sees his plunder. I added a small chest, an aged pirate treasure map, a warrant making him an "official" pirate, some gems and dubloons and a few other small tidbits. he will be making quite the haul!! keep you all posted. And again, for those that wish to send something, please do. i'll be making my visit on the eve of Christmas

• 1 month later...

The make a wish foundation sent a young man of 16 and his family to PIP this year, perhaps you could get in touch with them, still plenty of planning time before 09

Illustration courtesy of Patrick Hand, and his Pyrate Comix. To see comic in it's entirety, click below

http://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=13374 All rights reserved.

Aye and let us know sizes for any future gift giving... the Archangel would love to help out.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Ya know... that would be really cool, and it would give him something to really look forward to....

Our attitudes, wishes and dreams have a great effect upon our health....

Think about it.... if he was going to go to PiP next year..... (OK that part will take some work)... and he's getting the swag, garb and stuff he needs to do so.... Think of the positive effect it would have on him.....

Don't wanna sound morbid.... but even if it didn't work..... at least he had one heck of a good time.....