First gun advice

MorganTyre

Hello all, long time no type. I see quite a bit has changed around here. I'm looking to save up and purchase my first and only black-powder as a Christmas gift for myself after an unusually good year. As some of you may or may not remember, I've kicked this around for some time but this one really is going to be the year. Right now I'm leaning heavily towards the Doglock Blunderbuss from middlesex. The blunderbuss as a weapon has always topped my list and this one in particular really appeals to me. I was able to handle one (just hold, not fire) this last weekend and fell in love. Does anyone have any specific thoughts on this gun? How about general advice from a first time buyer? I'm wanting a functioning gun from the get-go without much fussing and messing with. I'm the type that does tend to get elbow deep into a customizing project but I like to handle/use something for a year or so before digging in. Would this gun suit my needs? How is middlesex as a company to deal with?

Doglock Blunder buss

MDBB_right.JPG

Ropework_Header.jpg

That's a great gun -- been at the top of my list as well, along with Loyalist's doglock musket. Loyalists' blunderbuss has a brass barrel, which I think is nice. I have the same dog mechanism and have only had one misfire in 100 rounds (a worn out flint was the culprit). I think you'll be very happy with either one.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Yaaaar!

I have spoken with Pete from middlesex and he is a very smart, funny and nice guy. I tried to search the forums but failed for a post of another pyrate that holds MVTC in high regards as well. Whether it be doglock or standard blunderbuss, I do not believe you can go wrong with any of their arms.

Most, if not all, of their arms are live fire quality (most of their clients hunt with them) and apart from attaching the flint and loading it for you, the arms are ready to go. From what Pete told me, the only thing they don't do is attach a flashpan guard for reenacment safety. It's a pain to do and I don't blame them. Guard or no, this is a great place to pick up a B.P. gun. You mentioned this would be your first one, so I suggest picking up some accoutrements as they have some nice ones there and will save you on shipping to bundle them all up together.

I really hope you pick one up for yourself. I share the love of the blunderbuss YaaaaaR!

edit:

I've picked up BP guns from places like Cabelas but found it's much better to buy from someone with a heart and MVTC is chalk full of that, man.

Edited by Thequartermaster

Yaaaar!

I have spoken with Pete from middlesex and he is a very smart, funny and nice guy. I tried to search the forums but failed for a post of another pyrate that holds MVTC in high regards as well. Whether it be doglock or standard blunderbuss, I do not believe you can go wrong with any of their arms.

Most, if not all, of their arms are live fire quality (most of their clients hunt with them) and apart from attaching the flint and loading it for you, the arms are ready to go. From what Pete told me, the only thing they don't do is attach a flashpan guard for reenacment safety. It's a pain to do and I don't blame them. Guard or no, this is a great place to pick up a B.P. gun. You mentioned this would be your first one, so I suggest picking up some accoutrements as they have some nice ones there and will save you on shipping to bundle them all up together.

I really hope you pick one up for yourself. I share the love of the blunderbuss YaaaaaR!

edit:

I've picked up BP guns from places like Cabelas but found it's much better to buy from someone with a heart and MVTC is chalk full of that, man.

Yeah, I have a MVTC pistol, and many of my crewe mates have MVTC hardware, and we all love them.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

We don't use flashpan guards, but I do recommend getting a good tool set that includes a pick, a powder horn, measures and flints. I go through a lot of flints but I get mine from Track of the Wolf as I like the English flints they carry.

I just got a powder shipment from the Maine Powderhouse -- great folks to work with and they're pricing was great. GOEX was something like $16 a can when 10 lbs is ordered (including hazmat and shipping).

Oh, and a cleaning kit -- I just use on I picked up from Walmart for shotguns and it has everything I need for about $15. I got some cleaner there too to keep everything looking new.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

I just got a powder shipment from the Maine Powderhouse -- great folks to work with and they're pricing was great. GOEX was something like $16 a can when 10 lbs is ordered (including hazmat and shipping).

Dang that's a good deal. Just saying :P

edit:

forgot to say, I don't like flash guards either. As I was always taught "Away from your body, towards your buddy" Ha!

Very nice piece...

And to chime in about extras, if you plan to use said piece in reenactments, My main time period has been 1750s-60s+ That being F&I and ACW... They REQUIRE a flashpan guard on any and all weapons used on the field.

I've personally been on the receiving end of having a fellow reenactor have a flint shatter next to me. If it had not been for the guard, I'd have had a face full of flint shards. Thank you, no...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Very nice piece...

And to chime in about extras, if you plan to use said piece in reenactments, My main time period has been 1750s-60s+ That being F&I and ACW... They REQUIRE a flashpan guard on any and all weapons used on the field.

I've personally been on the receiving end of having a fellow reenactor have a flint shatter next to me. If it had not been for the guard, I'd have had a face full of flint shards. Thank you, no...

Unfortunately there are no reenactment groups within a hundred miles of me. At least none that I'm aware of. The closest likely place would be Houston and that's several hours away. I'm really looking forward to this purchase, especially after hearing the good reviews. I can tell there's a ton I don't know though. I'm not new to shooting but I am to black powder. Does anyone reccomend a basic primer on the subject (specifically flintlocks as percussion cap guns don't do anything for me).

Ropework_Header.jpg

Pete sells a great product /since he and I get our weapons from the same suppliers

doglock-buss-1.jpg

he makes sure that the guns all spark well ...I go one step further and proof fire every weapon and send them out ready to fire (just add powder!!!)

i will agree with Hurricane I prefer the English flints from Track of the Wolf TOTW Accessories i recomend the valved cap for the GOEX can with interchangeable measure tubes to pre-measure cartridges since I recommend never loading from a horn in the field under any circumstances!!! A good cleaning kit is a requisite for proper gun care (a 12 ga. kit works well for the buss) ...black-powder solvent can also be picked up at Wally World or most other good gun shops Enjoy ladd

PS Ask Patrick or Dutch how they like their Busses!!!

Sadly, I know of no primers as I've gotten all my information from those with first hand experience. Cascabel has years and years of experience as many others who visit this forum. IMO your best bet is to fire away on questions here, as you will get a personalized response and not just a book that you can't ask questions.

Well you could try to ask it questions, just make sure no one is looking when you do =)

EDIT:

Yaaar since everyone is here, does anyone have pros or cons (likes or dislikes even) between the doglocks and the standard (i guess i would say) blunderbuss?

Still picking my brain on which I would enjoy to own more.

I'm not new to shooting but I am to black powder. Does anyone reccomend a basic primer on the subject (specifically flintlocks as percussion cap guns don't do anything for me).

IMO Black powder, especially flintlocks, is best learned in person with a qualified instructor. I’d suggest you contact the Texas State Rifle Association and ask about instruction in your area.

Texas State Rifle Association

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

yeah...got mine from Middlesex too....then i stripped the stock....linseed oiled it...and browned the barrell......love the folks from there...really great experience....

course i would say the same 'bout Callenish...but he would'nt even share a scrap of country ham, but dangle it in front of me.......tease :P

only the doglock buss....fishtail....and doglock pistol are from Middlesex

pirateswordstemppics102042.jpg

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

Order a gun from Callenish, have him bring it to PiP, show up and learn how to use it while living the life of a pyrate. Simple.

So true. Cascabel can run you through the paces in just a few minutes. I learned from our own Master Sulley, Willie Wobble and Cascabel, of course. Not that tough.

A well manufactured gun is essential. Keep it clean and well maintained. We don't use cartridges but all of our powder is premeasured in near containers my wife Diosa found. We can rack off a helluva lot of rounds that way.

I agree with Callenish. Use the horn to measure, not to load.

Oh, and to a first timer -- never lower the weapon once it's loaded unless you want to watch your powder fall out the barrel (embarrassing) - cartridges don't have that problem. :) The safety procedures are pretty straightforward and people like Willie, Callenish, Cascabel or any one of us can run you through it.

As for the flashpan guard, PiP doesn't require it. We shoot pirate style there and I just don't bother shooting at events that require it since it detracts from the look of the weapon, especially a buccaneer gun like ours are set up as. And all weapons must pass inspection before shooting. Weapons can only be loaded on the range (the field or the fort) during the battle.

The doglock is more a buccaneer period weapon. However, there were uses of it later - I prefer it because it actually as a safety position - the dog. It can two click and be ready while still being safe.

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

i have a brass barreled buss military style (not a dog lock) from loyalist arms. got it about two years ago. it is a very good looking weapon, very impressive. once a month i do a mariner interpertation at a local site. the buss is the center peice in the weapon display. people are attacted to it, lots of questions and when i ask them if they would like to see it fire, yes is always the answer. the only thing better is a cannon, which i'm working on now.

Dogge you'll be getting your ham at PIP hopefully you'll drag your sorry English Marine arse into our encampment!!!

english?.....ENGLISH???!?!?!?!...... :P

i'll have you know there is NO ENGLISH in me ancestry......i come from good celt stock from all sides.....just got booted out even before you yerself did....

explains why i'm the only one who understands ya when ya speak!?!?!... :P

yep...if'n yer lookin fer a weapon before PiP....callenish seems yer man.....and there are plenty of old tymers to run thru the ropes (safley) before you have tyme to develope any bad habits.....

but still got to shout out fer Middlesex...good people

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg