POTC deleted scenes - gold!

JoshuaRed

Watched all the deleted scenes last night - WOW! They're amazing. Any minor complaints I had about the film after seeing it in the theater would have been removed had these deleted gems been included in the final cut.

Not only did they further explain the deep plot, but they really fleshed out the settings of Port Royal and Tortuga and made them feel like lively, bustling ports. HOW could they not add them in the film? :ph34r:

Oh man, and the extra stuff with Jack and Liz on the deserted isle was excellent! When she asks him about the truth of his other wild stories and past, and he shows her the scars, and says "No love....no truth at all...." - - YIKES! Sounded to me like he was being sarcastic and that his past was even more violent and epic than his own tales and reputation.

And Depp ad libbing with the pirates about the French and mayo....HILARIOUS!

Of all though, I wish those missing Tortuga scenes were put back in the movie.

The blooper reel is good, but a little let down. I was hoping for some real funny pranks, falls, etc., instead of the usual flubbed lines routine.

newbannersigtar0db.gif

I was happiest to see the scene between Elizabeth and Norrington put back in since I love him deeply in a way that does not befit a pirate. It was just so sweet, and it spawned the 'Jack Davenport tries so hard not to laugh it looks like his face is about to explode' moment in the gag reel.

Red Maria Posted on Dec 31 2003, 01:56 PM

Considering he's in my favorite Brit sitcom Coulping .... 

you watch that too??? thought i was the only "bbc american" on here!! :lol:

i love that show!

1461668bfsjvui84v.jpg

"This calls for a particularly subtle blend of psychology & extereme violence." -Vivian, The Young Ones

Oh man, and the extra stuff with Jack and Liz on the deserted isle was excellent! When she asks him about the truth of his other wild stories and past, and he shows her the scars, and says "No love....no truth at all...." - - YIKES! Sounded to me like he was being sarcastic and that his past was even more violent and epic than his own tales and reputation.

The "No truth at all" deleted scene is a great one that adds a whole bunch to Jack's character -- but there's NO way it could have been kept in the actual film. Never would have worked. PotC is such a delightful, full-blown *fun* adventure film . . . suddenly jarring the audiences out of that mood with such a graphic scene probably wouldn't have done PotC any favors. It just doesn't fit the tone of the overall movie. I _do_ appreciate the scene -- it's become my favorite of all the deleted scenes -- but it works best as that, an added bit to Jack's character after you've already seen the movie a few times. I think Verbinski made a wise decision to leave it out.

...But that's just me. *grins*

Adore the mayonnaise bit. As for humiliated grapes -- that's straight outta "Benny & Joon" (another great Depp flick, if pirate-less), which I really appreciated. :)

I am now "Captain Charlotte Savvy." Sorry for any confusion -- I'll only be making this user-name change this once! :)

Agreed, but don't you think the extra scenes from Tortuga & Port Royal should have stayed? They REALLY helped the viewer feel like these were living, bustling port towns. My only real complaint about POTC is that often you feel like the main character are the only ones living in this amazing world.

newbannersigtar0db.gif

i love that show!

Oh dear God. "Right, yes! It's a cushion. Thank you for that, very informative! Have you got one of these? Of course you haven't! You? You married, living with anyone? Got one of these? Course not! You bring these things into our homes, they sit on our chairs, they watch our televisions! Now, I just need to know, on behalf of all men, everywhere, I just need to ask, please, what are they for?. I mean look at them! Look at the chubby little bastards, just sitting around everywhere! I mean, what are they? Pets for chairs?... It's not involved in the whole sitting process! It just lays there! It's fat litter! It's a couch parasite!"

Someday, someway, I will figure out how to do a PoTC version of Coupling, and on that day I shall rule the WORLD.

On topic? I agree on the 'No truth at all.' scene, it wouldn't have worked in the film but it was nice to see it on the DVD. Also nice to see someone else noticed the 'humiliated grapes' line. :lol:

Agreed, but don't you think the extra scenes from Tortuga & Port Royal should have stayed? They REALLY helped the viewer feel like these were living, bustling port towns. My only real complaint about POTC is that often you feel like the main character are the only ones living in this amazing world.

THAT, we are most definitely in agreement about. *grins* Yeah -- PotC is pretty much my idea of the perfect film flick -- but it occured to me that they went to the Caribbean itself for filming . . . and the audience never really gets to appreciate it! I hate a movie that places a whole lot of emphasis on the beautiful scenery in its background, 'cause sometimes that can take you out of the film itself and have you just concentrating on the scenery . . . but PotC could have stood those few more moments of the "outside world".

I dunno -- maybe they decided to whittle 'em out because of time constraints? It really wouldn't have added more than five minutes to the entire movie, though . . . maybe Verbinski and Co. decided they _liked_ the idea of having the focus just on this handful of characters, and not on the world they actually inhabit. Hmm . . .

It's late and I'm beat -- if I'm not making sense, somebody let me know. :D

I am now "Captain Charlotte Savvy." Sorry for any confusion -- I'll only be making this user-name change this once! :)

Adore the mayonnaise bit. As for humiliated grapes -- that's straight outta "Benny & Joon" (another great Depp flick, if pirate-less), which I really appreciated.  :)

My sister and I noticed the whole "humiliated grapes" bit. That whole scene is just funny! :ph34r:

I too think the tortuga scenes should have been left in & the mayonnaise bit is priceless..but at least we get to see them in the DVD so all is nae lost.

As for BBC Americans...Ye can count this laddie amongst that crowd :huh:

I have always enjoyed British Comedy being first generation in the US...and when ever Monty Python..Benny Hill..Two Ronnies..or Frankie Raye were on..things would come to a stop at our house. It was always tough to catch this stuff in the US..but when we got cable I had an advantage. Washington state has a great Public station in Seattle...KCTS and they show alot of British TV shows. We got the feed and we got to see all sorts of things. I got alot of exposure to British comedy too.

Once I gave Cable the Heave ho..and got Satellite I got BBC America & got to see even more. Though I am not a fan of coupling..being more along the lines of Dad's Army/Red Dwarf/ 'Allo 'Allo/Father Ted/Brilliant and I am enjoying My Hero of late.

Oh well..enough of that blathering. Here I go to make a little comment and write a bloody novel.

Cheers! :ph34r:

Blind Rhoid Pyle Posted on Jan 2 2004, 07:27 AM

Count me in as a Coupling fan too. That show is everything "Friends" should have been. I watch "The Office" too, if only for the guy who played Ragetti in POTC. Why can't the US produce such well written TV shows? 

i never realized that!!!

ohhhhh , now i see it!

*light bulb above head*

btw-

"You’ve never understood about bottoms, Jane.

Having a bottom is like living with the enemy.

Not only do they spend their lives slowly inflating,

they flirt with men while we’re looking the other way."

1461668bfsjvui84v.jpg

"This calls for a particularly subtle blend of psychology & extereme violence." -Vivian, The Young Ones