New PIRATE CLOTHING ONLINE

rootbeard

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use either plain lye soap, unscented castille soap, or, if I absolutely have no other choice, Ivory.

I also said small clothes- shirt, and drawers, and maybe slops. Weskits, coats, and raingear get brushed and hung. And I do not wash kit after every wearing. Nothing wrong with the smell of honest sweat, smoke, and tar. (one of my pet peeves is a historic site or person that looks right, but smells of modern perfume or deoderant).

Doing the laundry in a tub on site and chucking it on the tent lines to dry is how much gets done. 2 birds etc. I wash what I need washed, and the public gets to see how laundry was done historically.

Hawkyns

:P

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I agree the prices are steep. I saw a beautiful coat at a Ren-faire last year for $500.00 that was ten times done better.

One of the things I have discovered to my discontent, is waaaay too many vendors are selling costumes with material that hasn't been washed! I came across at least 5 vendors at the San Diego Ren-faire doing this.

I was totally disgusted by one vendor selling mens clothing for very expensive cash. When I asked her if the material had been washed before making the items, she rudely told me that it was impossible to was yards and yards of material. Well I got news for her and anyone else, WASH THE MATERIAL BEFORE BEING MADE INTO A COSTUME!! Unless it's a tapestry or other dry cleaning material, anything else should be washed so that shrinkage won't occur later and any 'shiny finishing' on the material is toned down.

Rumba Rue

**Lions and tigers and bears, oh my, anybody got a gun?** B)

That is my pet peeve also. I see a lot of people that figure it's not important to either prewash, or make sure the fabric won't run, i.e. Linen, which needs to be edge treated if the seams aren't sergered.

Part of my first costume was a skirt I made and skirt I bought, I wore the skirt to a party that I bought and it was raining...and I was blue for two days and five showers, so I was taught the valuable lesson of prewash long before I kept up sewing.

sparrow_coat.jpg[/color][/color]

Is it just me or does that look a little too plain and new to be a pirate coat?

I stand corrected. I saw the additional pics of the coat here:

sparrow_popup.jpg

PS: I also just ordered one...

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

• 2 years later...
Hahahah. . . I'd like to have a long chat with anyone who wears period clothing *and* washes it in a period fashion. Where do you find the time?!?!? On a more serious note, I'd love to know what sort of soap you use, what methods, etc. Most of my sinks couldn't handle a large coat for handwashing, but perhaps the bathtub? My favorite new "marketed for goths" product is Woolite Dark, which probably doesn't do a damn thing different than regular Woolite, but smells lovely.

I try and make everything I sew from scratch washable (and sturdy enough to handle repeated washings) in the washing machine. It's just so much easier! Perhaps it's just that I go so many places in my fine clothing that generate sweat and ale stains that they need a washing after every wear. My only exception is the corsets I make, which obviously cannot be washed in the machine because of the metal boning and the rust problem, even though they are generally made of fabric that could be washed.

I am pretty sure pirates didn't have a good dry cleaner. Alas. All those man hours spent on embroidering those gorgeous coats only to have them worn dirty until they fall apart.

-J

My guess is that Woolite Dark has a chlorine neutralizing agent in it, like the stuff we treat tap water with before using it in aquariums (Chloram-x, Amquel, etc.) but those products also have ammonia neutralizing stuff, which the Woolite wouldn't need, I think. And I'm quite sure that Woolite Dark smells better than Amquel.

If you have city water, rather than well water, you can be sure there's more chlorine and chloramine in it than is good for keeping your clothes bright and natural fibers strong.

I find it sad, looking back over the posts from two years ago, to see the number of people who posted then, but don't now.  :(

Where DO pirates go to die, anyway?  :unsure:

Capt. William

I don't know, but I'm sure it's warmer than it is here.

Gotta be.

No, the warm place is where they go AFTER they die! :(

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

I find it sad, looking back over the posts from two years ago, to see the number of people who posted then, but don't now. B)

Where DO pirates go to die, anyway? B)

Capt. William

It is an amazing number. Look at the number of people who are registered, versus the number who post. It makes ya wonder, dud'nit.

My tuppence says most of 'em weren't pirates to begin with.

:)

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, some of us did come to piracy late. Goodness, I'm in my 30's! All that time wasted as the French Girl at Northern!

Even so, I'm starting my first official (there have been several unofficial) Pirate outfit and as a seamstress, I will be making it myself. These links are terrific, even if they are old. I think I'll put a library together and post it somewhere....

Still, the best reference material I've found so far is you all. The gallery is what brought me here in the first place, looking for inspiration for my Pirate Sketch book. Now I want all the clothes I dream up and a place to wear them.

Curse Sacramento for being so damn far away from the Florida Coast!

Iphi

Well, some of us did come to piracy late. ...

...These links are terrific, even if they are old. I think I'll put a library together and post it somewhere....

Some of us even later! :lol:

I agree the posts are very helpful for those of us just starting this voyage.

I don't think this is unique to this forum. I'm on a couple of different forums and email lists, and in all cases the number of members far outstrips the number of posters.

Some people are shy. Some people just like to read what other people write. And still others join, look around, and never come back. I don't think membership "expires" or anything like that. So the number of members is really the number of how many people ever registered, from the get-go...

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!