New PIRATE CLOTHING ONLINE

rootbeard

Anyone not impressed with your handiwork is a fool, says I. :huh:

Hear here, Iron Bess!

I second that remark!

:P

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

"Mojitos BAD!...Lesbians with free rum GOOD!!!"

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye. They look right nice.. but rather over priced in my opinion.

If a coat is going to cost over $500.. it better be adorned with jewels!

I made my whole pirate outfit (the foppish black clad one) for around $200... every bit of it... & with just as good quality, too. Ghost Forge themselves don't price attire that high.

I'm sure the attire by Carlisle is nice & well done... but, truly... a bit much. Unless they did it all by hand & the material was $50 a yard.. then I can see having it that high.

I think we have enough gifted pirates upon this board... that would be willing to make attire for fellow pirates. I being one of them. Just.. still working on a couple other outfits, including a couple more dresses for myself. Plus.. I have some material here that I just need to use & make some outfits out of them. A couple are antique designs. :)

I suppose I'd be willin' to put my 2 pence in & offer makin' some outfits for people. I can do them by hand or with machine, ladies or gents attire. A couple examples of my handy work... are on the pubs album. Just look for CptnAnastaziaBlackheart.. that be me & the attire I have done. I have a couple more than I hope to upload to display soon. I like to customise an outfit to help create a look that is fantastic. I'm still adding to that black clad pirate captain's outfit. But... I should say, it's nearly finished! Cheap.. I've had TONS of compliments & several people take pictures of it... & I love it! Comfy as all get out.

The issue at hand is not just clothes... but the rest like the boots, caboot does have some nice boots as well... but finding some fancy shoes, that's a challenge.

Or... even hats. Besides the general black. I know there are some out there that are different colours like red, purple, green. I have seen them at Old Threshers. Pondered buying a few & making some fancy hats with the different colors.

Ladies... might I suggest for some nice, lovely jewelry that is close to period.. check out Avon! No joke! I wear a couple pieces at Rev War events & can pass them off splendidly! They are right nice & fine jewels. I'm impressed with them. They have a couple items in the catalog at current that are rather eye catching. :lol: Any pirate would love to get their hands upon them. & the price for these find jewels be within everyone's budget.

Huzzah!

Anastazia

~Master & Commander of the Resurrection

:lol:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I am very impressed with the attire of the majority of the pirates here. :lol:

I do like your styles, Tabitha. Very classy. :lol: I like classy.

The gent in red.. sharp. :lol: Very Captain Morgan-ish! Handsome devilish rogue in that attire.

Even pirates have to look their best! :lol:

All the more plunder to ya for such attire! :lol::lol:

Huzzah!

Anastazia

:lol:

Hmmm...I kind of like the Calico Jack Coat better than the Le Capaitne Coat. But I guess I go for the less 'flashy" look. <_< I do have a soft spot for velvet though, both are beautiful. Afraid If I was to spend 600 bucks though, it'd be for a new acustic guitar *Counts dabloons* only $599 dollars away!!! Woohoo!!!

"Grrrrr!"-My dog

"When life isn't all that peachy, eat an apple. Moron."-Shorty The Gothic Sausage

I suppose I'd be willin' to put my 2 pence in & offer makin' some outfits for people. I can do them by hand or with machine, ladies or gents attire. A couple examples of my handy work... are on the pubs album. Just look for CptnAnastaziaBlackheart.. that be me & the attire I have done. I have a couple more than I hope to upload to display soon. I like to customise an outfit to help create a look that is fantastic. I'm still adding to that black clad pirate captain's outfit. But... I should say, it's nearly finished! Cheap.. I've had TONS of compliments & several people take pictures of it... & I love it! Comfy as all get out.

Lady Barbossa, I love that black shirt of yours! Beautiful sleeves, nice style. Also like the black coat. Did you make em both then? I'd be interested in a shirt like that.

"Grrrrr!"-My dog

"When life isn't all that peachy, eat an apple. Moron."-Shorty The Gothic Sausage

Nice stuff but way too fancy for me. I'd be forever worrying about getting mud or tar or powder spooge on it. I'll stick with working kit, thank'ee. Good linen, hemp, and leather is more to my taste.

Here's one sutler I get stuff from:

http://www.barkertownsutlers.com/

Two others I use are Druid's Oak, and the Ohio Valley Peddlar. Unfortunately, neither one has websites, so you have to catch them at 18th C trade fairs around the OH, PA, MD, VA area.

Hawkyns

<_<

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Anastazia,

I love your jacket! I love your entire outift! Much like my my own tastes! <_< I wish I could get away with looking intimidating...it just doesn't work for me.

The gentleman in the red coat was supposed to be Captain Morgan, from what I hear that's a very popular costume at Buccaneer Days. Since you sew you know the importance of having cotton or silk velvet instead of poly.....his was poly. It was indeed a very nice looking costume though.

And you are very right there does seem to be quite a few of us who would be more than happy to sew for others for a lot less than you would be able to any of the product on some of the websites.

Men are like a deck of cards - You need a heart to love them, a diamond to marry them, a club to beat them and a spade to bury the bastards.

Aye, Fish... I made them both. The shirt, the ballow breeches, waistcoat & coat. Even made the hat! Which I am most proud of. Made the sword sling, the sashs & the belt. The only thing I didn't make were the boots. :) I hope to get better boots soon enough.

Hehehe.. Tabitha... I'm sure if I got a hold of ya.. I could make ya more intimidating to the point you would scare yourself! :huh: Of course.. I have been told by my Bro in law that I am intimidating... LOL... lil' ol' me? Intimidating? I'm all giggles instead of intimidating.

Hawkyns.. William... I agree with ya as well... hence I am making more attire for myself. :ph34r: I have some plain old solid brown antique material I plan to use as well as cotton material .. white.. to make a couple of gents shirts. Even more old material to make some bodices & a wench's outfit. Love it when I find a box full of material! :huh:

But... with times being as they are.. who wants to spend a ton of money on outfits like this? Unless you want to wear them every day.

& yes, I know the polyester bit.. :: Cringes:: Ouch, the poor man had to have been panting by the end of the day!

As a re-enacting rookie, from my research, they are not kidding about natural materials being better for ya. I can't complain when I am at a re-enactment, the material is FAR more breathable than non-natural stuff. My costume is mostly cotton & satin, hence not too heavy (just some) & very breathable.

Same with the stays I recently made. Opted for a cooler boning... used reeding which I got at Hancock fabric. Cheap, bendable... but when boning the stays fully, they support really well... very comfy I should say. They break easily unfortunately, but with the amount I got.. should last me this year as replacements boning.

Natural is a good route.

Huzzah!

Anastazia

:ph34r:

AHHH a newbie question for ya mates.

I'm currently getting me kit together and need it to pull double duty as much as possible. I plan on splitten my time between a Confederate commerce raider and a pirate from the 1700's I need to find some good refrences as to me clothes for both online any ideas mates? I plan on oing for a gunners mate in the confederate side of things and a simmilar rank in piracy proper. If I can I'd like to make few changes in the transition. HELP PLEASE!!!!

Thanks in advance.

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

In my experience you get what you pay for. Nice clothing costs bucks. Poor clothing costs less, but may not survive the rigors of piracy (sword play, climbing the rigging, courting wenches and such). I'd rather plunk down several hundred coins on a nice piece than go the cheap route. We're out pirating 30 to 40 days a year - need durability and good looks.

Would I pay $500+ for a jacket? Sure, if it's what I liked and I've paid well more than $250+ for many of my pieces in the past. Amortized over 10 years that's just $25 a year. Cheap! Some of the better pieces I've bought have been around the world with me 22 years so far. Like me boots and tricorn.

As one who's sewn some of my own clothes, it's darned time consuming! Material is just one part of the equation mates - it's the labor on these things. And that's what costs... How many hours go into these things? I can only imagine... And I hardly think a good seamstress' or tailors' time is not worth top dollar. What do people pay for a business suit?

It's no different than anything else. You can teach yourself to do anything but that doesn't mean it's at the professional level. I've heard plenty of self-taught singers that can't sing worth crap. Professionals in any business are there for a reason. They bring beautiful things into the world to compensate for those that can't, don't or won't do it themselves. Time is money and even your own time is never free...

To all those with the talent to make such beautiful goods - me tricorn is off to ye!!!!

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

It's not really a question of how well the garment is made, but the price that seem to be a bit scary for those who live on very limited budgets. Yes, a fine garment can cost hundreds of dollars - I know, the frock coat I'm working on (still) with all it's time consuming beadwork I'm doing would probably sell for well over $700.00 easy, and after one saw the work involved one wouldn't really question the price. But again that brings us back to the the poor souls who need to pay their debts that are owed, then for those who have the ability to spurlge whenever their hearts want to. Trust me, there are far mor poor souls about then the spurlgers who are into the Ren-faire/pirate events!

RumbaRue

**Reality is what happens when life gets in the way** :)

So true! So true!

And I'm the last to cast stones at those who must forage for their daily supper, much less piratical goods. I too, toil away to earn me meager wages. As with all others, I must balance me pasttimes with my real life.

My remarks are aimed more at those that were thinkin' these kind of works weren't worth the money rather than those that either didn't have it or chose to portray piracy without the brocade and fine linens. Unfortunately my non-piratical life is filled with those who don't value fine workmanship and the work it took to not only create fine product, but to get to that level of craftsmanship in the first place. They always want it to be cheaper and they end up going somewhere else to get it only to find that the quality and finish were far from equal. It goes back to the "you get what you pay for" rule. And as a "creative" it gets me dander up when someone just looks at the bottom line and nothing else. If I misconstrued or offended, beggan me pardon.

But not all of us can sew, work with leather or make swords. Some of us must rely on scaring up costumes, finery and weaponry, either by making it ourselves as best we can or from those noble folks who work so hard to make a living from their talents. And I have heard too many people bash others (not here mind you, but at events and faires) and their wares. So I rise perhaps too readily at their defense.

I stand down from my soapbox and return to me humble life ashore...

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

Just fer giggles...

Ya wanna see some cool stuff...wayyy overpriced, but cool?

http://www.pyratestyle.com/

Cool stuff, definitely fo those who are intent on blowing major amounts of cash. I mean, $1500+ for a vest, $4600+ for a jacket, $345 for a pirate shirt, $400 for a halter top? (I dont care if it is sewn together from the hair off the a**holes of one thousand endangered Gotsomonya bird-spiders,) That's pricey!

:o

Still, it's cool looking.

:rolleyes:

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

Geez Nigel,

I want to wear it, not drive it. My first brand new car (won't say when) didn't cost that? Does it come with a wench for that price?

--

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

Just fer giggles...

Ya wanna see some cool stuff...wayyy overpriced, but cool?

http://www.pyratestyle.com/

Cool stuff, definitely fo those who are intent on blowing major amounts of cash. I mean, $1500+ for a vest, $4600+ for a jacket, $345 for a pirate shirt, $400 for a halter top? (I dont care if it is sewn together from the hair off the a**holes of one thousand endangered Gotsomonya bird-spiders,) That's pricey!

:o

Still, it's cool looking.

:rolleyes:

I found the whole site disturbing...

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

uh, the words "are they f**king crazy?" come to mind.... those aren't even pirate duds!

Rumba Rue

**I definatly need another drink** :o

Exactly. Hence the name Pirate Style. But they could never actually call it Pirate Authentic.... :o

...It's kinda styled after pirates, sorta... :o

...if they were bikers in the old west , :o and played in Bon Jovi's band... :o:rolleyes:

Still, for civvies, it's kinda cool lookin'.

But definitely not authentic.

And for the price... :o

I got a kick out of the whole thing. :o

I liked the garb at barkertownsutlers.com

but I found the pieces to be plain for my taste. One of the things I like about Carlisles is the selction.. fancy or plain. I know some of you lads might want togo with plain, but I perfer a bit o' flurrish, a dandy is fine by me :) the ladies don't seem ta mind mates :ph34r:

But I do have garb for everyday piracy, and the shirt I have form Carlisle sis excellent... wiating on the Cailico Jack Pirate coat. I wrote them and the full coat is functional with the pockets and buttons, even on the cuffs. Plus they do try to create that histroric looks and feel with a duck material (a form of canvas) so it should hold up.

and El Pirata: yeah I would think their product pics would look clean and new, as for plain, well go with the Capaitan coat them :) .. but for a nice pirate stable coat the Calico is my go.. give it a few days in the stern sheets and rigging.. I am sure you will get a good weathered look, and their's should hold together.. seems solid made. I plan to hit mine with a waterproof sray since it is a canvas type material. Should hold well and give plenty of years. Wool would be better, but the fabric would cost more.

I. Plus they do try to create that histroric looks and feel with a duck material (a form of canvas) so it should hold up.

<snip>

I plan to hit mine with a waterproof sray since it is a canvas type material. Should hold well and give plenty of years. Wool would be better, but the fabric would cost more.

Instead of using a spray to waterproof the canvas, get some of the wax used to re-waterproof drovers coats and waxed cotton coats. Get it at an Orvis dealer or other high-flyfishing or hunting shop.

Took me about 3 hours to work it in to the canvas and use an iron to melt it into the fibers, but it's much more sturdy and will last longer than a spray.

Hawkyns

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

It's nice to see that BarkerTown offers a knee-length sleeved waistcoat. It frees up some of the transitional time periods, since late Restoration and early Georgian waistcoats (and frock coats) were knee-length, longer than F&I and Rev War garments, and usually sleeved, at least according to this great old book about historical dress and costuming I have.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Duck and Twill canvases wind up wearing strangely after a while and leaving paler spots where the fibers have been distressed. This is particularly noticeable on black and darker fabrics. Not as much of a problem if you're going to wax it, but still something to consider. I'm also not terribly fond of waxy coats.

If you want something that will last you forever, get a good quality medium to heavy weight wool that's a weave, not a felt, and wash it in hot/dry it in hot. The fibers will shrink, leaving you with something that will take quite a beating *and* will be washable at home, unlike a lot of stuff I see online. This of course implies no satin lining as well. Disclaimer: Please test this out on a sample before throwing your whole yardard in the wash just to make sure it's going to come out the way you want it!

You can also use a wool blended with polyester or rayon which will be cheaper and still provide the correct look and durability.

I'm in the process of sewing a new coat for my man out of wool for the Feb. 15th sail, so we'll see how it goes.

-J

-Jennifer

"Let them eat cake. No wait, kill 'em all instead, and plunder the cake for yourself. Mmmmm, cake. . ."

Duck and Twill canvases wind up wearing strangely after a while and leaving paler spots where the fibers have been distressed. This is particularly noticeable on black and darker fabrics. Not as much of a problem if you're going to wax it, but still something to consider. I'm also not terribly fond of waxy coats.

Yeah, my Billy Bones coat is a bit mottled in places. The wax is really great against the rain, though, and it doesn't get heavier as it gets wet.

Washability is not an issue for me, though. I take care of my pirate clothing in a period manner, which is to say hand wash with soap and line dry the small clothes and just brush the excess dirt and air the outer clothing. I figure that the closer I take care of my stuff to a period correct manner, the more it will look appropriate to the character.

Maybe that's a question for another forum- do you use modern or period cleaning methods on your kit? Hmmm.....

Hawkyns

rod_21.jpg

Hahahah. . . I'd like to have a long chat with anyone who wears period clothing *and* washes it in a period fashion. Where do you find the time?!?!? On a more serious note, I'd love to know what sort of soap you use, what methods, etc. Most of my sinks couldn't handle a large coat for handwashing, but perhaps the bathtub? My favorite new "marketed for goths" product is Woolite Dark, which probably doesn't do a damn thing different than regular Woolite, but smells lovely.

I try and make everything I sew from scratch washable (and sturdy enough to handle repeated washings) in the washing machine. It's just so much easier! Perhaps it's just that I go so many places in my fine clothing that generate sweat and ale stains that they need a washing after every wear. My only exception is the corsets I make, which obviously cannot be washed in the machine because of the metal boning and the rust problem, even though they are generally made of fabric that could be washed.

I am pretty sure pirates didn't have a good dry cleaner. Alas. All those man hours spent on embroidering those gorgeous coats only to have them worn dirty until they fall apart.

-J

-Jennifer

"Let them eat cake. No wait, kill 'em all instead, and plunder the cake for yourself. Mmmmm, cake. . ."