Methinks I like it

Bilgemunky

Not that we’re going to do a design by committee – but I wanted to let everyone know that all this input has had an affect and made a difference. Some really good points have been brought up that are causing us to rethink some of the things we planned to do.

Perhaps because I am in the "well over 40" set, I prefer clean fonts as well, on a white or grey background. I have a tough time reading certain colour combinations and have had to copy and paste some posts into Notepad just to be able to read them. And I'm not at all colour-blind.

My $.02 -

RHJMap.jpg

I barely attended the previous Pub because I had trouble navigating my way around it and could not find what I was looking for half the time. This open look makes it alot easier and smoother. Might just give me reason to come back (if Mad Woman Cheryl dragg'n me by my ear, doesn't do it) Hehe. *Lov ya, sis*

Look forward to seeing what may come.

*reaches up and grabs Rynn by the ear and starts walking*

See wot 'appens when ya gives me ideas, geez! Luvs ya too Lil' brother. Don't forget t' introduce y'self...an' o'course buy a round of drinks for the pub!

Mad Woman Cheryl

By Odin's mighty spear, I hereby snap and go berzerk!!!"

I barely attended the previous Pub because I had trouble navigating my way around it and could not find what I was looking for half the time. This open look makes it alot easier and smoother. Might just give me reason to come back (if Mad Woman Cheryl dragg'n me by my ear, doesn't do it) Hehe. *Lov ya, sis*

Look forward to seeing what may come.

*reaches up and grabs Rynn by the ear and starts walking*

See wot 'appens when ya gives me ideas, geez! Luvs ya too Lil' brother. Don't forget t' introduce y'self...an' o'course buy a round of drinks for the pub!

Aye Stykny I like the new look it is much easier on the eyes.

Rynn ladd I see you made it aboard. I also me our sister has you by the ear again. Ye better be watchin out fer her. Me thinks she is going to see that ye behave.

Sealegs Constance

I am what I am

I dunno, I liked the old setup wit th wood background an all.

I agree some color combinations of background and text were difficult ta read, but this here be too sterile.

So I've read and understand, Stynky be workin out all th bugs first n foremost before makin th ol pub homey agin.

Keep up th good work Me Boy-o! ! ! !

YARRRRRRRRR! ! ! !

Happy Talk Like A Pirate Day! ! ! !

~Black Nate~

Brenpen185.jpg

A ship in a puddle is better than no ship at all

Dear Saint Brendan, to mention your name is to recall much travelling.

It was in relation to voyages that you emerged as a popular Saint.

The Irish became great travelers thus spreading their faith everywhere.

Protect not only mariners but also all those who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

I have a tough time reading certain colour combinations and have had to copy and paste some posts into Notepad just to be able to read them. And I'm not at all colour-blind.

Something else that sometimes works is to select the text on the forum using your mouse. It negates all the colors. Of course, selecting can be a bit tetchy and if you click your mouse again, you usually loose it, making it harder to use for long posts. (This does not help with complicated fonts, though.)

Perhaps the best thing would be to try some color combinations and see what we fossils can read best? (Just a thought.) :ph34r:

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Coming from the Cambrian period m'self this is one ol' fossil that has read and worked with so much sterile font and Mil-Spec publications for over 30 years is why I prefer the more ORGANIC fonts available ...they have a character, a personality if you please. For someone who reads as much old text as you do Mission I'm surprised that you find other fonts difficult to read and when you're reading from very old books I'd think the parchment look would seem like "home" to you ....one thing that I have done in the past when I posted using the more ornate fonts was to enlarge them to ensure readability ...being over sixty and still involved in this hobby I can assure you my eyes aren't as they were when I was in my thirties and forties but I find this sterile fine line font far more difficult to read than any of the script fonts that are available. But as I have always stated in the past this is just my opinion and each one of us is entitled to their own; so I have expressed mine for what is worth in the mix.

For someone who reads as much old text as you do Mission I'm surprised that you find other fonts difficult to read and when you're reading from very old books I'd think the parchment look would seem like "home" to you ....one thing that I have done in the past when I posted using the more ornate fonts was to enlarge them to ensure readability ...being over sixty and still involved in this hobby I can assure you my eyes aren't as they were when I was in my thirties and forties but I find this sterile fine line font far more difficult to read than any of the script fonts that are available. But as I have always stated in the past this is just my opinion and each one of us is entitled to their own; so I have expressed mine for what is worth in the mix.

:ph34r: I deserve that.

I find I prefer serifs on printed text, but find many of them somewhat distracting on screen text. I have no idea why this is true; it might just be a preference or there might be something more organic to it. However, I must say that this is part of what has put me off The Surgeon's Mate for so long, even though I now have printed copy of it (from the 1978 reprinting). Even so, I have a lot of trouble reading it, partially because of the words used and partially because of the style of the text. Even with my cheaters, I have to labor mightily to obtain essence of Woodall. I tend to prefer modern translations (with modern text styles) that have copious end/footnotes to the original documents. I have many pdfs of original docs that sit around unread because of my problems with them.)

Still, I don't mean to single you out; if anything it's sort of a backward complement because I consider your comments interesting enough to work around my personal issues with their style. On one occasion, I was so curious what you were saying (between the colors and the text style I wasn't getting it) that I copied it into Word, changed it and then read it. It is no certainly one's duty to make me happy except me, but someone brought it up and so I thought I'd add my 2 cents - worth what you paid for it. (I'm still waiting for someone to give me hell for long posts; it has happened several times before. Since I'm guilty of ignoring other's advice, no one else could be faulted for ignoring mine.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG