Methinks I like it

Bilgemunky

I'm sure many, many will disagree, but I gotta say - I'm sort of liking the new look of the Pub as it currently stands. I come here for info, not visual clutter. The old design, hell, I had to scroll half way down just to get past all the ads and the masthead. The basic black top with the "P" - I think - looks pretty sharp.

Realistically speaking, I know there will likely be some bells and whistles added to the layout. But I certainly wouldn't complain if a certain level of simplicity was maintained. Just my 2 cents.

I AM BILGEMUNKY

I like the colors better. I could not read the text on the dark brown background on my laptop. Drove me to distraction, it did.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

My opinion is colored by my partial colorblindness.

All I ask, is a tall ship... no wait, that's what Masefield was asking for... all I ask, when/if someone colorizes this place, they take a couple minutes to read up on website design for the partially colorblind.

:D

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

I kinda liked the old color scheme.....seemed like playing in a great fantasy land...also would like for my password or the password change to work so I can get my Old King's Pyrate name back.....I'll keep trying to get in with my KP again.

manpiratehunter.gif

I'm torn. I'm liking that the things are easier to read. I'm liking the bigger posting space, but I like the feel of the old pub. Why do you think Syren choose the colors she did for the Tavern ...comfortable. But when we came in here it was like coming into the framing of a house ...needs some decoration. But our signatures and the new buttons may be enough. I'm looking forward to seeing what Stinky has planned.

Now if he want's a professionals opnion ...you know ...one that matters he will consult with me. :D:D;):D

My two cents for what it may be worth..I to like the header tis very elegant yet very simple and it more than gets the point across..

But Im thinking a wee bit more color to the board..Maybe black and white color scheme to match the header currently up with a burgandy or gold bordering...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

for me i'd like to see a period looking parchment background with slightly bolder lettering ...i find the thin san-serif block letters hard to read and also boring but that's just my humble opinion ....if it is to be a period based site -let the site reflect the interest but that is just one man's opinion and i am well aware that opinions are like ___________ and everyone's but mine stinks :D:D:Dpyracycom.jpg

Here's a link to a site where you can check to see how color friendly your site is to the colorblind.

Remember, some estimates say as much as 20% of the white male population suffers from some form of colorblindness. Though most place it more like 5%.

As for fonts... I want that cool Futuristic font that they labeled everything with in Space:1999!

:D

My Home on the Web

I also like the bigger space. At least now iffen someone posts a picture in the space, you won't have to scroll over to see all of the picture. Glad to see some decorations going up as well as recognizable buttons. It's still a diamond in the rough an I can't wait t' see the finish.

Mad Woman Cheryl

By Odin's mighty spear, I hereby snap and go berzerk!!!"

The only issue with that font Callenish which I love by the way..is that in order for everyone to see it they have to have that font on their computer else it will show up as the sans. So in order to use that font or have it show on my side I would have to download it. That is why most sites do stick to the normal and mundane. The Parchment idea is lovely as well and would make a black text really show. Depending on fontsize.... :D

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

One possible solution that might make everyone happy... or not... notice at the bottom of the page, dead center, is the clickable text Lo-Fi Version. It leads to a VERY minimalist version of the Pub. Those who don't want lots of color are free to choose the Lo-Fi version.

Cool function.

I really like this software.

Good choice Stynky.

My Home on the Web

I'm actually all in favour of different colours. I'm just asking to stay away from the stupid dark brown background with black text (I think it was black text.) I find it hard to read on a laptop and my poor eyes...well.

(I really liked the colours at Syren's Tavern, which were very much in-line with the old pub. )

What will become of the swoopy skull and swords that William painted on that gi-normous flag at PiP? Maybe we could use it in the PiP forum or something if it isn't going to be the primary banner? (Just thinking out loud while we're thinking.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

ouch ...I forgot about that ...good point Mission. Is it copy written? Can it be used on the forum? Even if it is one of the icons for a billion posts or something.

I'm liking the idea of black and white ...or should I say Black and shades of gray. Simple, elegant, piraty and not in competition with other colors ...banners and such.

I thought Black Adder came standard with word. Hmmm ...I don't recall downloading it. hmmm.

*Grins* I almost went with greys and blacks..but Tavern seemed brown to me and so..there was brown..lol, I also used similar colors in my Babylon, Texas Wild West RPG...

I'm pretty easy going most days, so I guess it's natural that by now I've gotten used to this color scheme and layout, and well, I'm fine with it. Function is more important than appearance and if this Pub stays up and running with no spam and no blackouts, the colors matter not.

My only question is -- why is there a ninja smilie and no pirate smilies? I understand if there are only generic smilies available -- but there's a bloody ninja looking at me over here!

:D AHHH! There he is!! :D

Red Bess - You Win!!!

I was waiting to see who was going to be the first to use and or complain about that - it's just part of the board's default set.

I'm pretty easy going most days, so I guess it's natural that by now I've gotten used to this color scheme and layout, and well, I'm fine with it. Function is more important than appearance and if this Pub stays up and running with no spam and no blackouts, the colors matter not.

My only question is -- why is there a ninja smilie and no pirate smilies? I understand if there are only generic smilies available -- but there's a bloody ninja looking at me over here!

;) AHHH! There he is!! ;)

I barely attended the previous Pub because I had trouble navigating my way around it and could not find what I was looking for half the time. This open look makes it alot easier and smoother. Might just give me reason to come back (if Mad Woman Cheryl dragg'n me by my ear, doesn't do it) Hehe. *Lov ya, sis*

Look forward to seeing what may come.

I like the look of the Blackadder text, but it seems unnecessarily hard to read, especially in the smaller font sizes. I love the parchment background, and the colors, but as for looking purely for information, it would take me longer to read a post in that font than in at least a smoother script text.

Coastie

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

I like the ninja. (He's cool.) I have no flipping idea what he symbolizes, but I like him.

;);););););)

However, if we bring the huge pyrate with crossed swords that Iron Bess likes so much back, the ninja will get replaced by the pyrate - based on the code - and most people should be reasonably pleased. (Particularly Iron Bess, who will (I imagine) currently find all her old posts ending with wide-eyed ninja at this point.)

As for fonts, they are neat, but with font colors, dark backgrounds and all those screwy serifs, I can't read some folk's posts without studying them intensely half the time. So if communicating clearly is your goal, you're missing me at least. If having your posts look cool is your goal, you're bang on. They look magnificently cool, even if I have to study them to figure out what they say. (But it may just be me.)

Mission_banner5.JPG