A Question on Cutthroat Island

Capt. Morgan

I haven't seen too many of the Hornblower episodes (keep missing them), but there were pirates, privateers, or buccaneers on the show?  I must up my efforts to see more of the show!

As a person who practically 'lives' at the A & E Hornblower message boards, I love the shows. Sure there's questions about things, but I find them entertaining and interesting.

I also have all the tapes -VHS, not DVD.

Unfortunatly I can't make copies. But if you're really interested you can go to their site and buy the shows or I believe if you check at Barnes and Nobel or Amazon you might get them cheaper.

In any case the site for Hornblower is http://www.aande.com/tv/shows/horatio/

BTW- you can bypass all the front stuff and just hit 'Discussions' on the bar above.

There's different sections of Hornblower discussions you can choose. Either from drooling over Cast members, to Historical talk. Whatever suits your fancy. And yes, there are a few guys that participate.

Those of us posting there have become quite a 'family' of sorts, and now we have Horatio Hornblower Gatherings. The last one was in Norfolk, Virgina this year. Next year it will be in Toronto, Canada the end of Sept. Hopefully I'll be going. The other board posters there who have met me have begged me to put on a Gathering here on the West Coast, but since I'm the only one in the San Diego area - it takes more work than one person can possibly do. So it hasn't happened yet anyway...

Rumba Rue

**I have shared a berth with Mr. Bush and I considered it an honor - yup, this wench knows how to party!** :)

• 2 weeks later...

The character of William Shaw had the best lines in there. My personal favorite was when Morgan was digging fer the map in her bloomers to "show him something" and he says, "Thank you, but I've seen one before." I rolled. As to the plot, it was just Treasure Island dressed up in different clothes, but then a lot of pirate movies are. I agree that Geena Davis did not put much into her performance, but I like to look at 'er anyways.

I am Julius Aurelius, future ruler of the universe. Kneel quickly, for I have many feeble minds to overcome.

when they wash ashore there and set off into the jungle.....you distinctly hear a lion roar. A lion. In the Caribbean. Uh-huh.

Now now, lads, ya just wasn't payin attention ta what Carribean islant that were. This be off the coast of Belize and them were Velociraptors roarin.

Y'd think this crew'd never been to movies...

:lol:

Drop a kitten six feet, and she grins...

Drop an elephant six feet, and ya gots yerself a mess ta clean up....

Sometimes bein' the biggest and most powerful is the LAST thing you wanna be.....

Mad Ozymandias Zorg the Unsnottered

Y'no, just as an observation, I don't think

I know of any such film on which folks are

so divided.

Either it's a fun romp in the slap and tickle vein, or its bilgewater, but it doesn't ever to seem to be in the middle.

wherefore?

:lol:

Sometimes bein' the biggest and most powerful is the LAST thing you wanna be.....

An just to clog the etherways, Amazon (through mediathrill) lists new copies fer $6.10 of Cutthroat Island.

:)

I'd have to lump Cut throat island in with POTC

as far as they were both highly entertaining,

regardless of what either Harlin or Bruckheimer

were trying to acomplish...as to whether anyones

acting mucles were flexed in either...not much!

I doubt it takes a lot of effort to parady Kieth Richards

for 90+ minutes, but it was entertaining. If ya want

a good rousing pirate yarn that's akin ta the old Errol Flynn

Tyrone Power movies then these are for you. Yellowbeard

is what it is, a Pythonesque parody of pirate films, if ya like

Monty Python, then you'll like Yellowbeard.

If ya be lookin for films of a more historical nature

then Charleton Heston's "Treasure Island" and the Hornblower

series are it, as well as Master & Commander, all these show

good examples of what an 18th-19th century seaman should

look like. Also take a look at Micheal Caine in Peter Benchly's

"The Island" for all it's plot flaws it's probably closest to showing

what pirates werre REALLY like, and has the BEST version of film

of what a pirate attack probably looked like!...a small ship attack,

not some giant ship to ship broadside brawl.

Just my 2 pence on the subject :ph34r:

Cheers mates!

Redhand

Heston's Treasure Island is truly first class, a real gem. In fact I'm going to dub it from VHS to DVD so I can always had a clean digital copy preserved. Why Turner Studios hasn't released it on DVD, I'll never know. :ph34r:

If anyone is interested I'd be happy to make a DVD copy for you. Just mail me a blank DVD-R, along with a pre-paid return envelope (preferably one of those cd mailer pouches), and I'll copy it for you.

newbannersigtar0db.gif

Why JoshuaRed!

Tha's Pyracy!

Hmmm... A Pyrate, Pyratin' a Pyrate picture....

:P:P:P:P

I Highly Approve!!!!

Sorry...sorry.... been a long day at work.... had ta be done....

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

So many things can be said about this movie. It's a fun, mind-numbing movie to watch for the costumes and the fights. Of course, the acting, both by Matthew Modine and Geena Davis were absolutlely enough to make me chuck up my lunch. Which is sad to say, because I usually like Geena Davis. Of course, then again...Frank Langella, as always, was a tough, convincing villain, although his character got carried away with too much cat-and-mouse when he could have just shot and killed half of the folks that ticked him off and ended the dreadful swamp of a movie in half an hour.

The costumes are gorgeous, the score is great, and I find it terribly disturbing that this seeming spoof was actually a real attempt at a pirate film. Folks, there's just no history. No history=no realism...unless you try really, really hard to make it convincing. There was no trying here. Perfect example, POTC. Fiction and convincing at the same time. Of course, we expected total fiction with POTC.

I hate Hollywood when they do crap like that. I mean, they could have snuck some small shred of historical accuracy into CTI, without drowning dear Geena's screen time. And they could have had an artist make a better rendering of Morgan. After I saw the wanted poster in the town square, I was wondering how on earth the guards ever recognized her when she showed up.

But, I can't complain too much. I found a DVD copy at Wal-Mart the other day, and I bought it. $5.88 was what I spent. Had it been more expensive, I wouldn't have even bothered.

:ph34r:

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

I find it terribly disturbing that this seeming spoof was actually a real attempt at a pirate film. Folks, there's just no history.

Exactly! You nailed it, W.E.! It's nauseating when you watch it thinking "Reny actually thinks we'll buy this cockamamy??" It's just Goonies with a grown up cast playing on pretend pirate ships.

Again let me state for the record though, that I do own the dvd, and greatly enjoy watching it for the rousing score and cool costumes...AND to make fun of it. Usually I can spot a new error every time I watch it.

newbannersigtar0db.gif

I just remembered last week I saw the DVD for sale at WalMart for $10 or less. I was half tempted to buy the DVD at such a cheap price.

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

• 4 weeks later...

I just picked up the DVD. Got it for $7.00.

It is a good pirate movie. Not the best, but entertaining.

Capt. BLACK SKOT

"Permit me aboard and I'll be takin yer ship!"

"Don't permit me abourd and I'll still be takin yer ship!"

And it does feature the only appearance of a duckfoot pistol Ive ever seen in film..... :huh:

Watching cutthroat Island is like being given a poor salad for dinner, it 'can' be tasty in parts, but you need more substance.. :wub:

Or worse like being given a gless o rum and findin its been poisoned with water! :wub:

As for pirate films on the treasure Island theme... I quite liked the version with Jack Palance.... I never liked Livesy, Trelawney or that swab Smollet, so I was glad when they got cut down like so much pork.

:wub:

harr harrr harrr...

You never know what is enough unless you know what is more than enough.

William Blake (Proverbs of Hell , (1790))

as long as Geena Davis is tossin' the salad, I'll keep chewin' the greens! ;)

:ph34r:

Amen brother Gary. Amen.

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg