working on an idea, need help

blackbeard_nc

Okay, so after living in the Outer Banks for 12 years and working as Blackbeard the Pirate at Teach's hole in ocracoake for 8 I have had numerous people ask me when I was going to bring a pirate festival to Blackbeards Hometown. I have fought with Hyde County for years but it looks like I may be winning now. Just looking for some ideas and directioon from anyone who has started an event from scratch. we have two possible locations right now, one is a campground and the other is a small spot near the ferry docks with a decent sized spot that would hold a small encampment. The town is all behind me but I feel this may be more of a battle with the town hall folk since the last time they had a pirate event (use to have an annual bucanner days festival until the mid eighties) someone died due to injuries suffered from flipping a dune buggy during a race on the beach. Tough battle to win, but just curious about what everyone thinks.

Here's to wishing the wind be in yer sails and yer powder stay dry...

Get in touch with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood, they just finished thier first ever event up here on Long Island, they can give you pointers about starting a new festival.

Helps if you know what your end aim is. If its a re-enactment only, ie period pirate camp and little else, thats one thing. If its a FESTIVAL your looking to create, thats a different story. That requires vendors, food, ENTERTAINMENT, and other things to hold patrons attention.

Make sure you consider parking for patrons. No parking = no patrons

Pirate music at it's best, from 1650 onwards

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands

We can kick around a few ideas face to face at Rock Hall. My friend Blenderwench and My self have done the Baltimore Pirate Invasion for the past 4 years With help from Fells Point as well as Clipper City Brewery. It keeps getting bigger. The hardest part is to find a date that doesn't overlap something else.

Capt. Thighbiter has joined us the past 3 years.

"No matter where you go. There you are."

Date has been an issue so far, due to the tourist season being the best tiem to host this (for the vendors and actors sake) I am hoping to have something on paper by the time I get to Rock Hall

Here's to wishing the wind be in yer sails and yer powder stay dry...