Seeking box for my spice collection

Hi everyone -

I'm seeking assistance on proper containment of my spices (in raw and powdered form) that will be easy to bring down with me to PiP in December. I've kept an eye out on Ebay for various spice boxes and racks, but nothing seems to be what I'd call authentic looking enough to suit my needs. I may be yielding towards a box with a fair number of cubby holes, but then again that may not be accurate for the time period (1720's).

In terms of the spices themselves, to add to my powdered collection I bought a kit through an online store after finding it for sale on another site (called Flight001) that has quite a variety. I also bought a stash of twenty small glass corked bottles with which to store them in (labels in work). I'll won't get into the details of said spices here or where I can procure them, as I'm sure the topic is better suited to another forum, but if anyone has any thoughts on what I could carry these all in for "show and tell" at PiP I'm happy to hear them.

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

Mary Diamond's father made mine and I thought the price was pretty reasonable for the quality of the box. I don't know if he's still available to make one for you or not, but I think mine is beautiful. I actually sent him the bottles I had and he custom-made the cubbies to the bottles.

I am also looking to get more spices for my Apothecary and have been scouting around for uniform, square-bottomed, corkable bottles. The one's on this webpage are a trifle small, but I like the look of them. The round-bottomed Port line on that page also look very good, and they're reasonably priced.

This past weekend I worked the surgical area at the Blackbeard Pirate festival with Cutter, another surgeon and Susan, an Apothecary. She explained spices and had a wonderful set-up complete with two small medicine chests. The really nice one (about 15" x10" x10" or so) had a hinged top and side opening. The top was a shelf for bottles, below which was another shelf or drawer if I recall it correctly. Boxes with both top & Side opening boxes seem to be pretty standard for period, although mine is different and opens like a book.

Incidentally, an apothecary is much more likely to have been in the West Indies than a spice trader. Woodes Rogers had an apothecary on his privateering voyage. From a product education standpoint it would be closely related to spice traders...just a thought for you. (Nicholas Culpepper's Complete Herbal from period is still available as a reference to herbal medicines.)

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Mission notes:

Incidentally, an apothecary is much more likely to have been in the West Indies than a spice trader.

Quite right. Perhaps I could be more of an apothecary than a spice merchant...a bit of both as it were. I'll check into your link and may buzz Mary to see if her father's available to assist with a proper box.

I think I came across a set or two of the square bottomed bottles on Ebay in the past that you're partial to, but they were also on the small side. The round ones I have are small but should do fine for my powdered spices of the 21st century. For spices in the raw, I may do something else to store them (bigger bottles, small jugs, small boxes, who knows?).

You know, this visual has come to mind more then once when I think of the word, but as soon as I read "apothecary" I thought of Tom Wilkinson in Shakespeare in Love and his character taking on an apothecary role for the first rendition of Romeo and Juliette. I don't intend to get as soused as he was in one of his scenes. B)

I don't intend to get as soused as he was in one of his scenes. B)

Apparently you don't quite understand PiP yet... B)

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

Here you go!! Shana (withoutaname) took some pictures of the Susan who was the apothecary at the Hampton Blackbeard festival. I have been going through everyone's pics and lightening them up (it was sunny which makes the subjects of photos dull. Web page photos must pop, Pop, POP!) and I found these shots. You can see one of her apothecary boxes toward the back of the table. Be sure and thank Shana. (Mission is a hopeless loser when it comes to taking photos.)

Living%20History%20Susan%20Apothecary%20Shana.jpg

Living%20History%20Susan%20Apothecary%20Close%20Up%20Shana.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I don't intend to get as soused as he was in one of his scenes.  :unsure:

Apparently you don't quite understand PiP yet... :(

I know, I know. :(:( I'll stick to moderation since alcohol hits me pretty quickly.

Thanks for the pics! I like the layout apothecary Susan has there, and I'd bet I could find similar items at a few of my local craft stores (for carrying the spices). If I can't buy what I need ready made, I'll go ahead and make it.

If you find a box you like but need to make it look a bit more period check out this site

Trunk parts and tools

they have a lot of accesories for turning modern wooden boxes and trunks into more of a period piece. I've ordered a lot of parts from them before and have always been pleased with the products and the delivery time.

Here's to wishing the wind be in yer sails and yer powder stay dry...

They have tolerably good prices on hides, too - I was looking for something on which to display my tools. Thanks for the link.

Thank you for the link, gents. After perusing the site, I think I may have a place in mind where I could get a proper box if I choose to buy rather than make.

I actually have a great octagonal chest in my bedroom that would work for this, though it is rather big. If it comes down to it, it will be my last option to store my supplies (and transport to PiP via car).