Lets talk Flintlocks

MadL

:rolleyes:

ahh....but when ye mixes it with rum it be become saltpepper, also known as "hardpeter"....right??

:lol:

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

Carrying a loaded weapon around with steel wool wadding is a disaster waiting to happen.

Doglocks were noted from the 1690's to the GOAP era and survived into the Revolutionary War. In fact, they were used by the Swede's and Norwegians in the late 1700's on numerous pattern muskets and pistols (The Rifle Shoppe Catalog details several examples).

Yours, Mike

Try these for starters- "A General History of the Pyrates" edited by Manuel Schonhorn, "Captured by Pirates" by John Richard Stephens, and "The Buccaneers of America" by Alexander Exquemelin.

OK, so now I be try'n t' track down the origin o' th' Dragoon.

Now most modern made versions seem t' claim o' be'n a 1760 version in English 'n I saw one claim 1720 in a French version. Yet there seem t' be plenty o' script dating th' 'dragoon style' back e'en into th' 1680s. Gentlemen o' fortune show one that came from the Whydah dated 1717, also have a pair o' very sexy Dutch lassies from 1685.

So now for some reason I had always thought the dragoon get'n its name from the British Army Dragoons, but now I wonder; did the British Army Dragoons get their name from the pistol?

So which came first; the bloody English or the pistol?

Most long pistols were usually called "horseman's pistols"; pistols used at sea were termed "sea service pistols".

The book "Boarder's Away II" is highly recommended, along with The Rifle Shoppe catalog.

I modified a British dragoon pistol from Middlesex by sanding down the stock swells and making the butt more bulbous. Took some work but it was worth it.

Great website here (in Danish)-

http://www.thm-online.dk/perioder/

Yours, Mike

Try these for starters- "A General History of the Pyrates" edited by Manuel Schonhorn, "Captured by Pirates" by John Richard Stephens, and "The Buccaneers of America" by Alexander Exquemelin.

Aye MadMike, "horseman's pistols" as kept in a pistol bucket strapped t' the saddle, 'n who would ha'e thought a seaman would use "sea service pistols" (bet it took them a long time t' develop that name!).

But as I read various scriptures on "Dragoon" I find that many from both horsemen as well as seamen have their pistols classified as 'another style of dragoon'. So me question be, see'n as I find meself t' be wrong that it got its name from the British Dragoon unit, is 'what is the Origin o' the Dragon Pistol'? I mean like why is it called Dragoon? Where did it come from see'n as how it listed in more countries then one? The term 'dragoon' must be a name or have a meaning of sorts?

Doglocks were noted from the 1690's to the GOAP era and survived into the Revolutionary War. In fact, they were used by the Swede's and Norwegians in the late 1700's on numerous pattern muskets and pistols (The Rifle Shoppe Catalog details several examples).

Yours, Mike

I'll agree..

"Without caffine, I'd have no personality at all"

Yours, Mike

I'll agree..

I concurr...with the agreement

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

I must say that the Loyalist dogs are accurate little boogers. We were firing balls out of them for the first time this weekend and all three of the ones were using were spot on center of aim. The old door we were using in the back yard has some really big holes in it now.

I would recommend the .575 balls instead of the .600s, which were too tight with a patch. The load was 30 grains with a pillow case patch. Had about the kick of a .45.

But otherwise, wow -- never more fun!

Here's one result. Popped one into an oak tree 20 yards out after it went through the hollow core door. Now my yards seems so much more piratey!

leadball1.jpg

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Brass and bronze barrels pre-date steel or iron ones. Documentation is spotty at best and difficult to come up with. It is just like tracing the origins of rifling, we can get close, but "no cigar" for the final answer. Remember that pre-period stuff can be justified as still in use through documentation, but later is FARB. The first known "firearm" was a hand held pistol of bronze found in China and dates to around 1200 A.D. On a side note, chrome plating was used on the weapons found in the Terra Cotta Army tomb in China also. Research is cool!

Patched balls from a smoothbore musket? Maybe for hunting but not for combat. Paper cartridge and drop the ball down, this is the way it is done. After the first shot, fouling takes the place of a patch. If there is any documentation on soldiers or seamen loading a patched roundball in a musket, I have never seen it.

Bo

Here's a rate of fire video from You Tube

The military standards speak to 3 rounds per minute (1700's). This fellow is doing it in 46 seconds, and the last shot is a great example of what can happen if you are concentrating too much on speed and not on weapon function.

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

Well, how cool was that?

Any chemists here? Which chemicals would you add to change the color of the flash to say blue, orange or something else?

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

Here's a start...

http://chemistry.about.com/od/fireworkspyr...eworkcolors.htm

Just like in fireworks....

B)

Blue would be copper compounds and chlorine producer, orange would be calcium salts, chloride, or sulfate...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Thank you! One of our crewe mates works with all the propellants they put into the shuttle and she's been looking to have some fun with chemistry pirating. There was a time here that she came up with a project for the kids and asked if we had any liquid nitrogen around. What a hoot! So this is just the ticket.

Me, I cheated my way through chemistry in college...

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

My pleasure...

We always had fun just putting fine steel wool in the cannons...

Or powdered aluminum...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Love steel wool in the night - it looks terrific and is a real crowd pleaser.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

Me, I cheated my way through chemistry in college...

-- Hurricane

Tracy Islie was in yer class too?!? B)

....always sit behind th' cute brainy chicks :huh:

Unfortunately it was a guy, and not a very interesting one at that. But boy, he new his chemistry.

As for chemistry... I only did well in the relationship kind.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

Unfortunately it was a guy, and not a very interesting one at that. But boy, he new his chemistry.

As for chemistry... I only did well in the relationship kind.

-- Hurricane

:lol:

o-k...backs...away...s-l-o-w-l-y

turnsandrunsaway!

c060.gif

For what it's worth, MVTCo got in a shipment, and so I got in an order and got mine this week...

pistol.jpg

After already taking the picture and all, I realized I should've put in something to indicate scale -- this thing is about 25" long...

Hopefully over the weekend I can make some noise with it!

:rolleyes:

sig2.jpg

Having just recieved my doglock pistol from Loyalist Arms and having sent a few shots through it last night, I find the need to share my enjoyment of this fine firearm. I have never bought anything from that company before, but will do so in the future. The pistol is in top notch condition and handles well. I would highly recommend that particular piece to anyone interested in a doglock pistol.

On a jointed note, I have plenty of Rev War tools for cleaning or servicing flintlock guns, but am interested in contemporary pics or info on gun tools (esp. turnscrews ) from the GOAP period.

As always, your servant,

Sebastian Arms, Quartermaster of the Dread Ship DB

On a jointed note, I have plenty of Rev War tools for cleaning or servicing flintlock guns, but am interested in contemporary pics or info on gun tools (esp. turnscrews ) from the GOAP period.

As always, your servant,

Sebastian Arms, Quartermaster of the Dread Ship DB

Aye! Another good one, so much e'ery where for Rev War, but what 'bout th' tools for GAoP?? 'er did pirate just user their teeth??