Lets talk Flintlocks

MadL

I be speak'n 'bout Functional Flintlocks now.

I ha'e been browsing some forums, some magazine rag sites, Google'n for vendors. Now I be get'n real serious and hope t' soon make me first purchase. BUT, I would like t' hear from real owners, them pirates with experience and first hand knowledge.

Being in California it seems the local pick'ns be slim so it seems like I will be ha'en t' mail order...? agree, disagree?

I personally be seek'n as close t' GAoP model as possible, but not interested in the Queen Ann, I want Big'er!

But lets open this to ALL with interest, lets hear from the wise on All Things 'Flint'; links, stories, descriptions, tips, cautions, warnings, excuses....

So step up mates, lets hear what ye ha've t' say bout these marvelous tools what go BOOM!

:P

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

Our crewe has five of the Loyalist Arms doglocks and love them. They have never misfired (except when the flints were crap) and are very nice shooters.

We load them with 60 grains and some wadding (white bread or steel wool). We have 60 cal balls on order so we can do some real firing with them.

Great weapons and Loyalist has been great to work with and answers all of our questions.

-- Hurricane

Plan to get their dog blunderbuss next. We prefer the dogs because of the latch safety so we can carry them loaded without worrying about them accidentally firing from the fully cocked position.

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

:lol::ph34r: ........I purchased a bunch from middlesex village trading and am very happy with them......They came with touch holes already drilled. I believe Loyalists Arms still can't be shipped with touch holes drilled. If ya never drilled one, this can be touchy( no pun intended). Both sutlers are comparible in price and put out a good product...... :rolleyes:
galleon_25235_th1.gif Iron Hand's Plunder Purveyor of Quality Goodes of questionable origins

Loyalists come in two pieces for shipping - the body/barrel and the flintlock mechanism. The touchhole is already drilled. Assembly is a snap - two screws to install the flintlock and it's ready to go. They pretest the weapon to make sure it sparks.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

i have a blunderbuss and queen anne from loyist arms both are well made and reliable to fire. they are good to work with and they will answer your e-mails quikly. i e-mailed them last night about the cannon and swivel gun on their site recivied an answer today. the guns come with the vent drilled they have to ship them in two packages because of canadian gun laws, couple of screws and you are in action.

I'd talked myself into investing in the doglock pistol from Middlesex with some of my stimulus check, and wouldn't you know it, they don't have any in stock.

I just this very morning put myself on their waiting list for one, so if I haven't had to spend the money on something silly like a mortgage or to buy gas in the meantime...

sig2.jpg

Aye, I know Layalist Arms is good people for I have purchased from them before and have a pair o' buckle shoes being pounded out by th' cobbler at this very moment, nice people indeed and with Great communication!

Good t' hear no drilling required as I no longer have me shop smith and would have t' seek one out who does, screws I can handle for sure (been divorced so I am a pro now! :rolleyes: )

I do not think I have Middlesex Village on me list, I will look into them when I get home, but they are out...still worth the look.

Aye, I have been t' Dixie Gun Works' site several times, would love t' build me own for I have much idea for customizing th' stock, e'en book marked some sites that sell brass trim'ings with nice scroll, leaf, and butt designs....but alas, as stated I no longer have access t' proper tools and shop as I did years ago, a 'kit' would be a nice way however.

Also aye, I remember the talk about Doglocks from the Cutthroat training seminar, still have the hand out as well.

What about this "Lead" vs "Non-Lead" ball material I have seen offered at several sites? Anyone have experience with this 'green world safe non-lead' shot?

I shoot only lead balls. I hardly have to worry about birth defects at my age and I used to eat paint chips off the crib when it was still lead paint. Still alive for some reason - and anyone I'd shoot with a lead ball won't have to worry about poisoning.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

What about this "Lead" vs "Non-Lead" ball material I have seen offered at several sites? Anyone have experience with this 'green world safe non-lead' shot?

The "Green" materials tend to be harder than lead. In a smothbore the bullet is just going down the barrel, so it won't matter much, if at all. If you were firing a rifle-musket or rifle this becomes a different discussion. In shotguns some claim that shot does not fly or pattern as well when its not lead.

Regardless steel shot is common these days, as ducks can eat spent steel shot and survive, but if they eat spent lead shot...you got it, their a dead duck. In California to hunt waterfowl you may only use "green" (i.e. non-toxic) shot, which is approved per the US Fish & Wildlife Service.

Here's a related article about why "green" shot/bullets are required in some areas:

Lead threat to Condors

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

Not to sound my own horn, but I do carry and have several pistols in stock - Sea Service, British, French, and Prussian Heavy Dragoons, Murdocks, Ketland brass barreled trade guns ...as well as blunderbuss's Steel-Barreled and Brass-Barreled and also some Steel-Barreled Dog-Locks all at comparable prices to the other dealers and I test fire each weapon that comes through my shop. I stand behind every gun I sell (better there than in front of them!) ;););)

doglock-buss.jpg

plainmurdoch.jpg

frenchdragoon.jpg

doubleflint.jpg

As always let me know what you're looking for and I'll see what I can do for you! ;););)

Nothing like the smoke when firin a flintlock..Me wench figured she would give it a try before the Long beach event.. We finally found a use for Jack Sparrow! ;)

IMG_0857.jpg

IMG_0845.jpg

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

*LOL* oderlesseye!!!

but could ye just wound for th' moment, I still want t' see if he finds th' fountain o' youth! ;)

They most likely will not do a POTC V so shoot between the eyes after IV

callenish gunner; do not temp me with yer evil pics o' blunderbuss!!!

I would like one so bad but have committed to purchasing a pistol FIRST...then will see about funds for th' Blunder! ;)

Now, I see ye have posted a photo o' a double barrel, I like those too but they be too new and miss the GAoP so for me that one is out until I can afford t' "collect", right now for me it be stay'n t' the period (then embellish lat'er ;) )

With th' notion o' th' doglocks, what style can ye come up with that would fit th' GAoP? Preferably not a brass barrel, while they look nice 'n shiny I feel the barrel would be softer, require more care, 'n perhaps not as durable....or is this wrong?

Also, when considering the GAoP, did they even have brass barrels then?

As for the steel shot....don't think I would go duck hunt'n...might accompany oderlesseye on a sparrow hunt however ;)

'n what would a duck be do'n put'n a spent lead shot in he's mouth for anyway?? Do they think flintlocks shoot jaw breakers?!!?

Now I also remember a part o' the Cutthroat o' Corona where it was also mentioned 'Symmetrical' vs 'Non-Symmetrical' rounds; the advise at th' seminar was to "Avoid the non-symmetrical" even though some claim they be better and can travel further. Personally I would feel the non-symmetrical could give rise t' some serious complications if they were not poured just right....misconception?

With th' notion o' th' doglocks, what style can ye come up with that would fit th' GAoP? Preferably not a brass barrel, while they look nice 'n shiny I feel the barrel would be softer, require more care, 'n perhaps not as durable....or is this wrong?

Also, when considering the GAoP, did they even have brass barrels then?

Dogs were not in fashion during GAoP... eclipsed by the flintlock. It's more of a buccaneer era weapon for the most part... we do 1660 - 1690. But when I do later, I still use the dog because 1) I don't want to buy a second weapon that's virtually the same thing and 2) I really like the safety. Not so sure why the flintlock was a better technology. It's the old Beta vs. VCR thang I guess.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

brass was common for barrels at the time and they hold up exceedingly well ...since the level of compression doesn't build up to the level required for rifled barrels ..however in a doglock buss I only have them in steel barrels ....

E-2.jpg

these are museum photos from the Glasgow Museum showing brass-barreled pistols from 1615

On the subject of "green" shot. At this time the best green shot is bismuth. Denser than steel, softer than steel, biodegradable. Uses the same chemical as is found in Pepto-Bismol (bismuth). Not as dense as lead, however, so does not fly as far or pack as big a punch at distance, but it comes much closer than steel. Still, no one I know of is producing bismuth balls for flint guns, as all bismuth is being produced in shotgun shot configurations.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

callenish gunner; as I still have t' wait for me check t' come (later this month) before I choose t' commit, do ye have a site or photo o' what ye have in stock? (excluding blunderbuss 'n rifles for me but others might like t' see them).

I like the style of the Harper's Ferry but know it did not come about until after 1806 and I would like t' stay older then 1750 at least, I read in one article:

{quote}

The earliest known citation of the phrase 'going off at half-cock' comes from London and Its Environs Described, 1761:

"Some arms taken at Bath in the year 1715, distinguished from all others in the Tower, by having what is called dog locks; that is, a kind of lock with a catch to prevent their going off at half-cock."

{end quote}

Now the English 62 cal. doglock is also very appealing to me and from what I have read it dates around the early 1600s.

On the subject of reading materials for the beginner, I have found these two articles on the net, what others do ye seasoned 'Big Baby BOOMERS' have t' recommend and what do ye think of the material written in these two, agree 'er disagree?:

Flintlocks: How to Shoot Them

Flinklock: Beginner's FAQs

oh, Captain Jim, those Pepto-green shots sound like just the thing t' have after a big feast at the in-laws! 'n if'n a feud should break out then just load up with rock salt!!

:(

Ahoy Callenish.... Them brass Locks be some real teasers!

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

got a bunch o' mine from Middlesex .....Fishtail Musket...doglock Blunderbuss...Doglock Horse Pistol....Double Barrelled Flintlock Pistol.....really like the quality....the service....and the people from middlesex.....they really know there stuff as well as really want you to be happy....these are real blackpowder enthusiats rather than just sales people....cant say enough 'bout these folks....

if ya head that way...tellm M.A.d'Dogge sent ya

'Course Callenish...if'n ya start with some o' dem purdys...might start buyn from you too!!!

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

One can never have too many flints and dogs on hand, that's for sure. Great arsenal Dogge!

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

'Boom th' guns go as we roll a broadside,

Boom th' guns go 'n the women run 'n hide,

Because there's no sin we haven't tried,

Boom th' guns go across the ocean blue and wide.

Now many people say it's a pirate's life for me,

Our cannons sink ships all across the rage'n sea,

But then on shore revel in debauchery,

Boom our guns go, better watch yer booty!

We fired our guns on deck th' other day

The cabin boy said he wanted to play

Had a question for me, this is what I had t' say;

"Ye touch a man's gun boy 'n people call ye gay."

Boom th' guns go as we roll a broadside,

Boom th' guns go 'n the women run 'n hide,

Because there's no sin we haven't tried,

Boom th' guns go across the ocean blue and wide.

;);)

Ahh, I can just 'bout taste the black powder upon me lips!!

...hey, I thinks 'ol Blackbeard may have been on'ta somthin'! ;)

Ahh, I can just 'bout taste the black powder upon me lips!!

...hey, I thinks 'ol Blackbeard may have been on'ta somthin'! :o

Well, you DO know that the chief ingredient in black powder is saltpeter, also known as "softpeter", right ???? :o:o:o

>>>> Cascabel