Looking for Coat weight wool or Kersey

Hello me hearties

im looking for 3 yards of grey Coat weight wool or kersey to make a sailors jacket. i cant seem to find it besides looking at reconstucting history. i think they want like $25.00 a yard thats way to much me. does anybody know where else i can get some. Or if anyone has 3 yards by 45 width i would gladly take it from you

thanks ol jack :lol:

Have you given any thought to using 'old wool' ?

What I mean is this, there are a lot of old wool coats to be found 'out there'

Think yard sales, thrift stores, salvation army, etc. for very little $$

I have one that I have been holding on to for years in the hope that some day

I might have the skills to alter it into a period jacket. It has a few moth holes, but

I look at that just giving it some character :rolleyes:

If you can sew, then finding a old wooll coat and taking it apart, might be a cheap

way to get what you want. I believe that such things were done in period, nothing

was thrown away, especially if it could be 're-worked' So reworking an old coat,

would be very period :huh: and frugal.

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I

I cannot believe that Michael did not direct you to this website: http://www.periodfabric.com/

When we were doing Viking age stuff, this is where I got all my wool from and the prices were the best I had found (aside from ebay). I think most of these coat weight wools are $10/yard and I can attest that they are of very good quality.

I think Michael got his fustian and his striped linen ticken from this site too, but I cannot be sure....

Banner.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

You may wish to peruse this site.

fabric by the yard

Their wool prices tend to be rather reasonable and they also deal in a selection of linen. I have done well with finding wool for a decent price on E-Bay.

It is time to pause, even so early, for this account is not intended to be about my life...but is, as I have said, about my life's secrets. Secrecy is intrinsic to my work. ~ Christopher Priest

“Five and Twenty Ponies, Trotting thru’ the Dark.

Brandy for the Parson, 'Baccy for the Clerk. Laces for a Lady, Letters for a Spy.Watch the wall my darling; While the Gentlemen go by.”~Rudyard Kipling

ClaudeDuval.jpg

I will give a nod to trying old 100% wool blankets. I find a lot of them in Grey (but lots of other colors as well) and they seem to do pretty well....

You can even "full" them a bit for a little water proofing...

A blanket will make you a short jacket with extra left over... its well worth giving it a shot as most blankets can be had for $5 or so.

GoF

(My sailor jacket was made from a basket weave pinkish/tan blanket)

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!