The Mercury Crew

William Brand

It should probably be noted that assuming a role of one character doesn't necessarily preclude assuming the role of another or none at all. I went from being a pirate surgeon to being a militia cannoneer. Half the time, I wasn't potraying anything, I was just walking around marveling at the skills of my fellow re-enactors.

Thank you Misson for bringing that point up! There has been quite a few people that have mentioned an interest in metal work, so please don't let my being the first to jump all over that make you feel like you can't be a blacksmith as well. Truth be told, as this will be my first PiP (although it should have been my second) :rolleyes: , I will probably want a lot of time to stroll around and soak it all in. For the most part I would prefer to portray random title-less general sailor and pirate of no great account. I will enjoy the few hours a day I get at the forge and playing the smith, but I don't want smithing to be my sole experience at PiP, as many others may not want any one particular title to dictate their entire PiP experiences.

Michael_banner.jpg

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok , so i am the sailing master and the wife mission's assistant ??

as this will be our first PiP, also, we will be soaking in the sites of key west, the festival, and everything else as well. besides, i am NOT going to key west and refrain from sailing !! i'll stick a sail on a log if i have to.

hmmm. mebbe steal patrick's sail tarp... grab an oar for a mast.... with so many guy lines holding up tents, nobody would miss a few...

also need powder monkey kit suggestions. all the way down to the rope and buckets for carrying the powder. got a few movies i could rewatch to get ideas. slops, shirt, neck scarf ?? anything else ??

;)

also need powder monkey kit suggestions. all the way down to the rope and buckets for carrying the powder. got a few movies i could rewatch to get ideas. slops, shirt, neck scarf ?? anything else ??

;)

I recommend asking Sterling for suggestions on clothes for younger re-enactors. I'm guessing that the Captain has some excellent recommendations.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Depending on who's book of surgery we use, we need between 1 and 7 people to do a proper amputation, so mates are always needed. (One person does the amputation and the rest to hold the vict- patient down.)

Shall I describe the mercury cure for syphalis? It's enough to put some people off their food for a day. Amputation is better, but only if you can get them to realllllly empathize. Good quality descriptions are what's needed... Imagine the first bite of the slightly salt-water rusted steel blade into your newly exposed femur (upper leg bone) as you chew on a tooth-marked wooden stick. It only hurts for a few minutes and then we can cauterize the remaining skin.

Mission! Is that ALL you think about? Cutting stuff off!??! Sheesh.... ;)

Banner.jpg

Depending on who's book of surgery we use, we need between 1 and 7 people to do a proper amputation, so mates are always needed. (One person does the amputation and the rest to hold the vict- patient down.)

Shall I describe the mercury cure for syphalis? It's enough to put some people off their food for a day. Amputation is better, but only if you can get them to realllllly empathize. Good quality descriptions are what's needed... Imagine the first bite of the slightly salt-water rusted steel blade into your newly exposed femur (upper leg bone) as you chew on a tooth-marked wooden stick. It only hurts for a few minutes and then we can cauterize the remaining skin.

Mission! Is that ALL you think about? Cutting stuff off!??! Sheesh.... :lol:

This actually brings up an interesting point. In the GAoP, amputation is frequently suggested to be the best recourse available to most surgeons for damaged limbs. If a damaged limb was not amputated, gangrene would often set in and that would be the end of that. The Caribbean was particularly hospitable to wound infection.

I've glanced through intense (period) discussions about the advisability of amputation around the time of the (American) Civil War. More solutions to wounded limbs were known and thus available at that point and many people felt field amputation was just the lazy way out. It required less time and attention than more heroic surgical methods.

I've also got a couple of accounts of patients during GAoP and before refusing amputation and therefore requiring bones to be set, albeit normally these patients had to wait until after battle when the surgeon had more time to attend to them. The accounts I've read (there are two or three) eventually healed.

However, one can only guess at the number of accounts that weren't recorded where a patient refused amputation and gangrene set in - the uncountable "silent majority" factor that biases people's perception of statistical research. (People point to a few positive examples of something and insist that this would have been the norm because the stack of cases that disprove the theory weren't recorded for various reasons - who wants to explain their failures?) Still, you may still have a point there...

In fact, I'm still debating how to play my character at PiP. My nature is to play it serious and studious. Mary Diamond (not to mention William and Captain Jim) have given me several ideas about playing a less serious character which would have more public (if not necessarily educational) appeal. I may mix the two, leaning towards education. That's what re-enactment is all about after all.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Note to all the would be Blacksmiths. I am reading an account of Physician Thomas Dover's life and the rather notorious privateering journey of the Duke and Duchess in 1708 - of which there are no less than three accounts - one by Captain Woodes Rogers [A Cruising Voyage Around the World: First to the South-Seas, Thence to the East-Indies, and Homewards by the Cape of Good Hope. Begun in 1708 and Finish'd in 1711], one by Edward Cooke [A Voyage to the South Sea] and one focusing mostly on Dover which is told in retrospect by the man himself [The Ancient Physician's Legacy].

To the point, "smiths" are mentioned by Rogers several times. Keep in mind that this was to be a journey around the world that would require most of the talent to be accompanying the journey, especially when they reached "uncharted" parts of the world. But still, there it is. So I may be all wet and there would well have been smiths on a ship who were there, in part, because of their skills.

Note that this same journey had a Physician (Dover) and an Apothecary [samuel Hopkins], which was very unusual for any ship. Most ships just had a surgeon and/or surgeon's mates.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

In fact, I'm still debating how to play my character at PiP. My nature is to play it serious and studious. Mary Diamond (not to mention William and Captain Jim) have given me several ideas about playing a less serious character which would have more public (if not necessarily educational) appeal. I may mix the two, leaning towards education. That's what re-enactment is all about after all.

Honestly, Mission, it would be nice to have some "serious and studious" characters about... if that is how you wish to portray your character you will be far better off doing so instead of creating something that you are not comfortable carrying out. I would be surprised if there were no serious/studious people about in the GAoP, only a bunch of comical hams....Just because one is serious and studious, doesn't mean that they are not amiable and gracious toward the spectators :lol:

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I would probably never be able to pull off "ham." But Mary-Donna has given me some lovely ideas about channeling the ever-interesting Peter O'Toole in ways that could fit my personality without having to resort to a Nicholson "over-the-top" style. (Although wouldn't you just love to see Jack playing a pirate? Contrast that image with the odd, often introspective Depp style.)

It's the dry delivery which makes you funny without effort. I wouldn't recommend that you play it any other way but honestly. Play the surgeon as you feel he should be played. I believe you'll end up genuinely studious and humorous.

Not to get OT, but I've noticed that dry humour seems to appeal to a much smaller segment of the world than broad, extroverted humour. Not that I can play extrovert humour very well, but it's just something I've noticed. Like my Easter Peeps thing I wrote in the Beyond forum...I'll bet some people would really be concerned that I am a close-minded conspiracy theorist after reading that. (Dave Barry, who must deal with such people professionally, calls these folks "humour impaired" and suggests that they get little electrodes wired to them that are activated when something funny has been said so they know when to laugh.)

I think the only officer that we should have on the Mercury is the Quartermaster.

William got that position, because we kinda voted /pushed it on him (heck, he does a very fine job of it also)

But I'm opposed to having a Captain, a whole bunch of officers, chief gunners, sailing masters, head cook and any other titles, just so everyone has some rank.

For two reasons....

One, Every other Pyrate group or club is crewed by all officers.

And Two, as a common sailor/pyrate, if ye be thinkin' that I'm doing alla th' work on th' Murcury, ye gots a nother think comming.......

If we had about 70 member in the Murcury camp, then having a Captain wouldn't be silly, job positions among the crew works, but lets not have too many chief and not enough Indains. (or something like that)

Patrick,

As I see this discussion the officers and crew is simply people choosing parts as reenactors. William will still do what he does and we will all still go to William for answers. LOL Just not ALL the answers. :lol: For me, if I were still on the Mercury crew I would choose tailor/sail maker because I sew and have an interest in that. Most of us don't have time to teach ourselves EVERYTHING a sailor had to learn or do so with high skill in all areas. Choosing a crew assignment gives us an area to concentrate on and a skill which we can share with other crew members after our experimentation.

Not all crew is highly skilled at everything on board, each has an area of expertise, I have seen this on the Nykel. Additionally, not all crew members are as talented as you Patrick.

:lol:

One, Every other Pyrate group or club is crewed by all officers.

Ah... simply not true...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

As I see this discussion the officers and crew is simply people choosing parts as reenactors.

Yah, that's pretty much my impression too. I still support Captain Jim just because I'm pretty sure he won't want the job. :lol:

I know those of you who haven't been to PiP probably don't know him, but Jim is a heckuva nice guy who gives good suggestions, is free with his tools and has lots of good ideas. Plus he has a noble brow. Actually, when I first got to PiP -days before the event started- Tony Callahan (photographer extraordinaire) was showing me a series of beautiful posters he had made from photos of the previous year's event. The posters were to be posted around town the next day. He paused at some of them to explain them to me. When he reached Captain Jim's poster, he said, "This guy doesn't take a bad picture."

I can see Patrick's point about assuming roles, though. Being the sort of person I choose to be, I looked for a position to define my role at the event, one that seemed (to me) to go along with my decided inclinations. It gave me incentive to show up and work with a group of people I'd never (really) met and do something I'd never otherwise consider doing - not to mention providing an important safety valve for all my spare cash - lest I accumulate too much, there's always a trephine or lancet that wants buying. (In fact, you could argue I take it to absurd lengths and I'd agree with you. Why else would I decide to spend a year researching a topic to the point that all the info must ultimately culminate in a book that fewer than dozen people will actually want to read? :lol: )

Not everyone may be so inclined. Being who he is, Patrick goes further than most to play an able seaman. Oddly, I expect Patrick knows more about various roles on the ship than most people, including me and could certainly tie better knots. (Everyone must meet Patrick or their pirate re-enacting life is tragically incomplete. IMHO.) So I can agree with him that everyone does not necessarily need a role. A ship needed lots of able seamen and pirates needed more than most for their attacks. Where a merchant would have the bare minimum number of seaman needed to sail the ship, the pirates needed scores of men to take them.

And so on and so forth. If I had a vote, I'd vote for Captain Jim since I'm pretty certain William doesn't want it. Neither does Captain Jim, but we might be able to force him into it. Captain Jim, Impress'd Captain :lol: :

i kinda agree with mission. i'm looking for something to define my role at the event, also.

but patrick does have a point about too many chiefs.

if we were to educate any public attendees, maybe a few more different positions would be beneficial. since this is our first PiP, and reenactment, i'll let everyone else decide how it will go. and even decide where we will fit in better. for the good of the company kinda thang....

do we even really need titles ??? there are certain people that can and will dedicate more time and effort into organizing etc., etc., and are thought of as "leaders" anyway.

maybe leave it at that ???

since i am a newbie, mebbe i'll fill whatever void the encampment needs , and there are more knowledgable (sp. ?? ) people than i that knows what is needed.

just my 2 cents worth :)

With so many specialized roles, I thought it might be time we began a thread about the Mercury crew itself in preparation for this year's PIP. This is the place to make suggestions about materials, kit, information, books, roles, etc. Let's get some feedback going about what we can do to help each member of the crew find their place for PIP.

There is some good feedback here, and no, "specialized roles" does not mean "pecking order". No one is in charge. I just want people to learn and grow and help the rest of us immerse ourselves in history. Parts are meant to be roles in history, not leading roles.

Find your niche and make it look and feel real.

That said, feel free to list your needs for the year in the various threads. We have a clothing thread (which includes personal kit) and we have a tent thread (which includes discussion on various camp kit and canvas).

• 3 weeks later...

For Mission

Plate_20_6_20_extract_300px.jpg

Crewe of the Archangel

That may look like a dagger in someone's head, but it is actually a type of trephine - a sort of saw used to bore holes into the skull to relieve pressure on the brain. This may or may not sound less painful (and probably wasn't at all), but it's not like there's a point sticking in that person's head. (I bought my trephine last month. :huh: )

Here's a better view of the actual device:

antique-neurosurgical-trephine-sdrill-ebony-101.jpg

They actually use fancy stainless power drills to trephine people. I've seen 'em on eBay. The skull is a pretty touch nut, so to speak.

Most of the pain in such an operation occurs in cutting through the scalp. The brain's surface has no pain receptors. This is why people can be awake while brain surgery is occurring - working on the brain itself doesn't hurt. Some of what little they know about the location of various things in the brain have come from reports from conscious patients on the affects of probing around in there.

Maybe he's practicing.

Say, I used to make severed heads. Perhaps it's part of the career path. (I made them for haunted houses. If for some odd reason this interests you, you can check it out on my webpage.)