Pan.. what did we think?

Omega

Hello me piratical brethren..

What did we think of Pan? I quite liked it, certianly a marked improvement on other attempts at the story..

I thought the casting was excellent, and thought it represented the book well (although I suspect if you weren't a reader/lover of the book the movie might be a mixed bag for you).. they tried to weave the various themes of the book and I thought succeeded in the most part.

The pirates were comical, the gear wasn't too scary.. all in all not a bad effort.

It gave us a bit of work for our re-enactment group, premiers and all.. which was good.

What did the rest of you think?

Come be a pirate with us...

The Pirates of the Morning Star

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PiratesBrisbane/

Lucky . . . we in the states still be waiting for Christmas Day for it to be released. I be quite lookin' forward to it.

So you liked it then, Omega? I've never read the book (though I mean to), but I do know that it has a much darker tone to it than the Disney-fied animated version that most people know the story from. I'm looking forward to seeing a version of "Peter Pan" that's closer to the real thing -- although I must admit I enjoyed every Hook/Croc encounter in Disney's cartoon . . . though that was about _all_ I enjoyed in it!

I am now "Captain Charlotte Savvy." Sorry for any confusion -- I'll only be making this user-name change this once! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with you, Charlotte! I loved the ticking crocodile! And Hook's reaction! "Tick-tick-tick! Ahhh!"

However, I noticed that when Disney "remastered" the original version of Peter Pan, Hook's great voice was redone...and it sounded like it had been done by someone else. At least it did in the version that I watched. I have a CD with Disney songs on it, and it has the original voice in the song "The Famous Captain Hook." That voice and the one in the movie didn't sound the same.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they overdubbed the original voice. It sounded WAAAAY different, and I went into shock when I heard it.

:ph34r:

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

The Croc in the new move is very nicely done... suitably menacing..

I thought they combined the darker overtones of the story very well with the whimiscal/comical side of things..

But I won't go into too much detail until more of you have seen it, would hate to spoil it for anyone!

Omega

Come be a pirate with us...

The Pirates of the Morning Star

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PiratesBrisbane/

I enjoyed it greatly, and have to go see it again because of extenuating circumstances... screaming kids (not mine), bad headache (too much of the Christmas spirits, eh?), etc. Still, a magical film.

I think the casting makes Peter Pan such a treat. It would have been a shame if it was peppered with big name celebrities. I think Lynn Redgrave is the only widely-recognized name, and Jason Isaacs and Geoffrey Palmer, although fine actors, are not as well-known. The casting of Ludivine Sagnier as Tinkerbell was inspired.

Aye, the casting was fantastic. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie - as did me two cabin boys. The peg-legged parrot was a riot and actress that did Tinkerbell was superb, I was laughing at her mugging. And of course Jason Issacs was the definitive Hook; I'd follow him anywhere. ;)

Also, the boy who played John looks like a good candidate for the Harry Potter movies when the current actor gets too old. :D

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

Lovely version, methought.

I've directed, bein a theatrical geek, the original Barrie script, and this version was far more true to the luvly darker aspects of the play and the books.

Also thought the lass who played Wendy was supurb. Will be waitin patiently for her ta come of age an hope she develops an odd fascination for elderly pyrates.

Seriously, this is a very well done film, amazing set work, some great costuming (not to mention small arms to drool over) beautifully edited, well acted. A very satisfying film , unlike most of the ones I've seen lately. You walk out talking about the images and acting, not critiquing the weaknesses, which is a lovely break from the hollywood usuals.

Also love the Pyrate ship, complete with tumblehome.

Z ;)

Drop a kitten six feet, and she grins...

Drop an elephant six feet, and ya gots yerself a mess ta clean up....

Sometimes bein' the biggest and most powerful is the LAST thing you wanna be.....

Mad Ozymandias Zorg the Unsnottered

Zorg you're lecherous scurvy dog. And those are your good points! :lol:

I loved the movie and even more so do I think Leonard Maltin is a schumck. The acting was great especially Pan, Wendy, and Hook. Brian Froud's conceptual art design shown through Pan's Puckish appearnce and the mermaids' creepy appearance (mermaids really aren't nice!).

If I could get a petite female size version of Hook's costume I'd love it! A wonderful film! :)

It was great to see my friends Gary & Bonnie Morgan in the credits. Gary was Pan's stunt double and his daughter Bonnie was Wendy's stunt double. :P

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

I loved it. Set/costume/production was great. Much truer to the original book. (Hook dies, faieies aren't wonderfull things, Mermaids aren't nice, etc.) And they left in Long Tom. That alone scores a few more points with me.

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg

I've seen it twice so far. Once with all the kiddies and once with me mini pirate who fell asleep that night saying "I do believe in fairies, I do I do". Too cute for words.

Jeremy Sumptner (Peter Pan) did an excellent job. He will be one to watch if he stays in the biz. And Wendy's fascination with Hook, right on for me. Long curly black hair with piercing eyes, tall boots while brandishing a sword....~swooooon~

~Tori

Like any unmanned ship, a novice sailor will eventually steer into the wind and then in circles.

I SOOOOOOO want to attempt a captain hook jacket. (Not neccessarily for myself though) If someone can produce decent jacket pictures I would be forever grateful. :)

Men are like a deck of cards - You need a heart to love them, a diamond to marry them, a club to beat them and a spade to bury the bastards.

Hi there

I have many screencaps from the movie, which jacket you be talking about?? He wore several up till the end. I am starting on the red velvet one, it is the most striking. :P

I can upload the one you want on to my site, it has several caps there already, just havent added them all yet.

Gabrielle :P

cabinfreindsbanner-vi.jpg