Dead Man's Chest

Mr Lasseter, Yes and yes. I wasn't in my clear-thinking mode when constructing the first one and should have incorporated the stop into the cone before closing it up. Now I will have to go back and add it and re-temper the whol darn thing again. :ph34r: Live and learn ay what?

Ms. Diamond, yes that will be a nice addition to porr Angus' effects.

The hardware for the chest is scheduled for spring break when I fire the forge again. I also found a cool machete that I am going to modify and send with the kit. This summer I am getting back into my kit and forgework. my weightlifting class coach at college is very knowledgeable and has gotten me back in shape with major improvements in my grip and shoulder strength. He, like most of my other professors and instructors, appreciates a student who is serious about being there. If my new design works as well as I think it is going to, I may be able to turn these out pretty cheap. Let's hope so!

Bo

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a thought about this while in my Monday work haze (this happens when one is deprived of sleep). Anyway I was thinking that the there are two options regarding the chest and it's contents. We can auction off the chest & contents or we can auction off the contents and refill it next year. I'm still lacking sleep so this may be a bad idea. Let's have a discussion ...and is there anyone else out thee who might want to donate?

See my post in the "shipwrecked scenario" thread. I like the idea and don't really like the thought of "killing" poor Angus in retrospect. Bad Kharma. Anyhow, May 14th is my last day of finals, after that I am going to finish all these little projects that got started and not finished. I re built my shed that got crushed under the 22" of snow followed by 3" of ice last year, and the forge and workbench are calling to me!

Bo

• 3 weeks later...

I found an interesting inventory of a common seaman's chest while reading Privateering and Piracy in the Colonial Period - Illustrative Documents.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inventory of the Providence. May 5, 1673.

An Inventory of the goods and things taken into the custody of Mr. Nathaniel Fryer that came in the Shipp Providence of Falmouth, of which shipp Mr. Henry King was Mate in a voyage from England to Virgenia but now Master.

What in 3 Chests (of the Seamens)

No. 1.

4 horse whips

1 weo. coat

3 doz. thread laces

2 pa. childrens hose

1 grose brest buttons

1 p'ce diaper tape

3 pocket paper bookes

2 whisks

1 band

1 silke neck cloath

1 demity wastcoat

1 old shirt

2 yards striped linnon

6 yards Stuffe

1 p'ce kersie

1 coat

1 pa. briches

3 forestaffs and vaines

No. 2.

1 lookeing glass

1 doz. pa. white worsted hose for men

1 brass old trumpett

5 shirts

3 pa. drawers foule

1 pa. fine gloves

2 stuffe coates

1 pa. briches, wast coat, and Jacket

1 wast coat and Jacket more

1 pa. new and 3 pa. old shooes

1 pa. yarne stockings

5 neckcloaths

2 pa. hose

1 pa. linnon sleeves

2 napkins, and severall other small things.

No. 3.

1 peece fine broad cloath

6 yards ½ branch and Streaked stuffe

6 coates for men

1 stuffe pa. briches and dublet

3 pa. cloath briches

1 old dublet

1 girles petticoat

2 pa. Irish stockings

3 pa. childrens hose

1 woe. boddy of a gowne

1 pewter candlestick and socket

5 boyes hatts

17 yards blue linnon

one perriwig

2 white tiffeny hoods

2 pa. gloves

12 yards stuffe in 2 p'ces

3 bands 1 laced

5 yards searge

2 pa. sleeves

2 small p'ces diaper filleting

4 yards ¼ searge

1 gr. and 11 doz. buttons

4 yards striped stuffe

3 doz. thread laces

6 yards shalloune

a parcell of thread about ½ ld.

1 childes silke cap and a little parcell of silke and severall other small things.

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

That's really interesting. Notice all the women's and children's clothing they had. (Probably from looting with an eye towards later sale. Actually, stuff for kids in the chest would be a marvelous idea.) It sounds like an interesting book - is there anything on surgeons in it?

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

I believe that the Providence was taken by pirates en-route from Falmouth to Virginia and was later recaptured a privateer vessel and brought to Boston. The sea chests inventoried may have belonged to sailors from Boston returning home with gifts for their families.

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

Nothing on surgical instruments but it had this list of medicines purchased for the Privateer sloop Revenge. It looks like you're going to have to build yourself a bigger medicine chest Mission!

John Tweedy’s Bill for Medicines. November 8, 1743.[1]

Newport, Novr. 8th, 1743.

Capt. John Freebody and Capt. Ben Norton in Co., Drs.

To Sundrys for the Privateer Sloop Revenge, Capt. James Allen Com'r, Nicholas Holmes Chirurgeon, Viz.457

Aq. Menth. Fort. 3½ pts. £1. 8. 0

Cinnamoni 1½ pts. 0. 9. 0

Foenicl. d. 1 Bott. 0. 4. 6

Theriacal 1 Do. 0. 9. 0

Vitae 1 Do. 1.16. 0

Sp. Sal. Volat. oleos. 6 oz. 0.15. 0

Armoniac 8 oz. 0.16. 0

Nitri dulc. 4 oz. 0.10. 0

Salis dulc. 4 oz. 0.12. 0

Vin. Rectif. 3½ pts.[2] 1. 8. 0

Elixr. Proprietatis, 20 oz. 3. 0. 0

Vitriol 3 oz. 0. 9. 0

Essent. Stomatical 34 oz. 5. 4. 0

Tinct. Castor. 3½ oz. 0. 8. 3

Bezoartic 1 pt. 2. 8. 0

Euphorbii 4 oz.[3] 1.12. 0

Bals. Copivi 6 oz. 0.12. 0

Peru. 2 oz. 2. 8. 0

Sulph. Tereb. 1¼ oz. 0. 5. 0

Syr. Papaver Diacodii 4 pts. 5 oz. 2.11. 9

Croci 2 pts. 5½ oz. 2. 7. 0

Limonum 2 pts. 1 oz.[4] 1. 4. 0

Oleum Hyperic. 3¾ oz. 0. 6. 0

Lini 3 pts. 0.13. 6

Succini 2 oz. 0. 8. 0

Juniper. 2 oz. 0.12. 0

Terebinth 3¾ pts. 0.15. 0

Olivarum 3¾ pts. 1. 2. 6

Anis. 2 oz. 0.12. 0

Amygd. dulc. 4 oz. 0.12. 0

Mel Rosarum 1¾ Pts. 1. 1. 0

Commun. 4 pts. 0.16. 0

Tamarindae 4.[5] 0.16. 0458

Theriac. Andromach, 2 pts.[6] 2. 8. 9

Cons. Rosar. rubr. 1¾ pts. 1. 1. 0

Linimt. Arni. 1 pt. 0.16. 0

Ungt. Dialth. 1 pt. 0. 8. 0

Populion, 1 pt. 0.12. 0

Basilicon 1 pt. 1.12. 0

Alb. Camphor. 1 pt. 0. 8. 0

Sal Absinth. 2 oz. 0. 6. 0

Card. Benedict. 1 oz. 0. 8. 0

Prunel. 8 oz.[7] 0. 8. 0

Sp. Vitriol 5 oz. 0.10. 0

Elixr. Vitae 6¼ oz. 2.10. 0

Philon. Roman. 6 oz. 0. 9. 0

Diascordium 1 pt. 0.16. 0

Pulv. Ling. Dracon. 1 oz. 0. 5. 0

Gum Tragacanth 2 oz. 0. 4. 0

Bez. Miner 1½ oz.[8] 0.16. 0

Emplast. Diachylon c' G. 1 lb. 0.16. 0

Oxycroceum 1½ lbs. 0. 8. 0

Defensiv. 2 lbs. 1.12. 0

Paracels. 1 lb. 0.16. 0

Epispastic 1 lb. 1. 4. 0

Diapalm. 1 lb. 0. 6. 0

Stomach. Mag. 2 lbs. 2. 8. 0

Melilot. 1 lb.[9] 0. 6. 0

Verjus 6 pts. [?] 0. 4. 6459

Flor. Chamomel ¾ lb. 0.16. 6

Absinth. 1 pt. 0. 5. 0

Rad. Gentian. 1 lb. 0. 8. 0

Liquorit. 2 lbs. 1. 0. 0

Bardan. 4 oz. 0. 6. 0

Rhei Pulv. 6 oz. 11. 5. 0

Lign. Guejac. 1 lb.[10] 0. 1. 6

Ocul. cancr. praept. 6 oz. 0.15. 0

Coral. rubr. praept. 4 oz. 0.12. 0

Croc. Orient. 1 oz. 1. 5. 0

Cinnab. Antimo. ½ oz. 0. 4. 0

Conch. praept. 1 lb. 2. 0. 0

Pulv. Jalap. 8 oz. 2. 0. 0

Ipecacuanh. 6 oz. 1.16. 0

Pil. Ruffi 3 oz. 1. 4. 0

Catholicon 1 oz.[11] 0. 8. 0

Tereb. Venet. 2¾ pts. 1. 7. 6

Argent. Viv. 8 oz. 1.10. 0

Antimo. Crud. ½ lb. 0. 2. 6

Succ. Glyzyrrhiz. 1 pt. 0.14. 0

Rad. Sarsaparil. 3 lbs. 1. 4. 0

Hyssop. ½ lb. 0. 2. 6

Centaur. Minor. ½ lb. 0.12. 0

Extract Cass. Fistul. 2¼ pts.[12] 1.16. 0

a Pewter Glyst. Syringe 5. 0. 0

Skines No. 4 1. 0. 0

Tartar. Vitriolat. 1 oz. 0. 4. 0

Sal Armo. 4 oz. 0. 6. 0

Flor. Rosar. Rubr. ½ pt. 2.17. 0

Crem. Tart. Part. Pulv. 1.10. 0

Resin. Jalap. 2 oz. 2. 8. 0

Dulc. Gutt. Gamb. 1 oz. 0. 5. 0

Sponge 2 oz. 0. 8. 0

Cantharides 1 oz. 1. 4. 0

Vitriol. Roman. 1 oz. 0. 1. 3460

Flores Sulphur. ½ pt. 0. 3. 0

Alum. Crud. ½ lb.[13] 0. 1. 0

Bacc. Juniper. 2 pts. 0.10. 0

Resin Comun. 4 lbs. 0. 3. 0

Lap. Calamin. praept. 1 oz. 0. 1. 0

Sach. Saturn. 2 oz. 0. 8. 0

Cinnamom 6 oz. 1. 2. 6

Cubebs 1 lb. 1. 4. 0

Zinziber ½ lb. 0. 1. 0

Empl. de Ranis [cum Mercurio] ½ lb. 0.12. 0

Rad. Serpent. Virg. 11 oz.[14] 0. 8. 3

Myrrh. Pulv. 1¼ oz. 0. 6. 3

Ol. Rorismarin. ½ oz. 0. 8. 0

Lavend. 3¾ oz. 2. 5. 6

Sem. Sinapios 2 lbs. 0.10. 0

Cinnabar factit. 1 oz. 0. 5. 0

Lith. Aur. praept. 1 lb. 0.12. 0

Acetum 3 pts. 0. 3. 0

Pulv. Scamo. 1 oz.[15] 0.10. 0

Lap. Tutiae praept. 2 oz. 0. 8. 0

Senna 1 oz. 0. 2. 6

Rad. Chinae ½ lb. 1. 0. 0

1 Sett Weights 0. 7. 0

Conf. Alkerm. 2 oz. 0.12. 0

Hyacinth. 2 oz. 1. 4. 0

Tinct. Myrrh. 9 oz. 1. 4. 0

Syr. Rhei 6 oz[16] 0.15. 0

6 Square Bottles 1. 1. 0

4 qt. Bott. 0. 5. 0

4 Blue and white pots 0.14. 0

Tow 1. 5. 0

Vials and pots, 1 Doz. 0. 8. 0461

6 Doz. Corks large and small 0. 6. 6

Ras. Corn. Cerv. 6 oz.[17] 0. 6. 0

a Box 0. 8. 0

a Broken Red and Do. White Skin 0. 7. 0

a Mortar and Pestle 1.13. 0

an Iron Laddie 0. 7. 0

a Stone Coffee Pot 0.10. 0

————

130. 2. 9

Newport June 14, 1744.

Recd. the full Contents per John Tweedy.

[1] So the document is endorsed. Massachusetts Historical Society. The list may be taken as showing a typical outfit of medical and surgical supplies for a privateer. The symbols used in the manuscript for pounds, ounces, and pints are here replaced in print by the usual abbreviations, lbs., oz., pts.

[2] Spirits of mint, of cinnamon, of sweet fennel-seeds, of treacle, aqua vitae, spirits of ammoniacal volatile oil, of sal ammoniac, dulcified spirits of nitre and of sal ammoniac, rectified spirits of wine.

[3] Elixir of propriety, of vitriol, stomach essence, tincture of castor, bezoartic tincture, tincture of euphorbia. For the wonderful properties of the bezoar-stone (really a concretion found in the intestines of the wild goat, or, sometimes, a coprolite) and its derivatives, see Eggleston, Transit of Civilization, pp. 64-66, 90-91.

[4] Balsam of Copaiba, Peruvian balsam, terebinthated balsam of sulphur, syrup of poppy (= diacodium), syrup of saffron, lemon juice.

[5] Oil of St. John's wort, linseed oil, oil of amber, of juniper, of turpentine, olive oil, oil of anise, sweet almond oil, rose honey, ordinary honey, tamarinds.

[6] Theriaca Andromachi, Venice treacle, a remedy which had long been highly esteemed, and which comprised 61 ingredients, according to the Pharmacopeia Collegii Regii Medicorum Londinensis (London, 1747), s.v. See also Eggleston, Transit, p. 63.

[7] Conserve of red roses, arnica liniment, ointment of marshmallow root, of poplar-buds, basilicon ointment, ointment of white camphor, salt of wormwood, salts of the blessed thistle, sal-prunella.

[8] Spirits of vitriol, elixir vitae, confection of opium, diascordium, powdered dragon's blood, gum tragacanth, the mineral bezoar.

[9] Plaster of diachylon and gum (c. G. = cum gummi), of saffron and vinegar, defensive plaster, plaster of Paracelsus, blistering plaster, diapalma plaster, compound laudanum plaster, melilot plaster. The term "emplastrum Paracelsi", so the librarian of the Surgeon-General's Office informs me, is not given as such in the older medical dictionaries, and was probably not a current term; but in vol. II. of Robert James's Dictionary of Medicine (London, 1745), extended reference is made to a plaster compounded of ammoniac, galbanum, opopanax, turpentine, litharge, and many other ingredients, described as "extolled to the skies by Paracelsus", and this may be the one which Tweedy here lists.

[10] Verjuice, chamomile flowers, wormwood, gentian root, liquorice root, burdock root, rhubarb root, lignum vitae.

[11] Prepared crabs'-eyes (= Gascoin's powder), prepared red coral, Oriental saffron, sulphide of antimony, prepared shells, powdered jalap root, powdered ipecacuanha, pills of aloes and myrrh, catholicon (i.e., good for what ails you) pills.

[12] Venice turpentine, quicksilver, crude antimony, liquorice juice, sarsaparilla root, hyssop, lesser centaury, extract of cassia fistula.

[13] Vitriolated tartar, sal ammoniac, red rose petals, powdered cream of tartar, resin of jalap, dulcified gamboge-resin, sponge, cantharides, blue vitriol, flowers of sulphur, crude alum.

[14] Juniper-berries, common resin, calcined carbonate of zinc, sugar of lead (sugar of Saturn), cinnamon, cubebs, ginger, plaster of powdered frogs and mercury ("Emplastrum de Ranis cum Mercurio", see Eggleston, op. cit., pp. 57, 58, 85), Virginian snakeroot.

[15] Powdered myrrh, oil of rosemary, oil of lavender, mustard-seed, sulphide of mercury, prepared goldstone (yellow topaz?), vinegar, powdered scammony.

[16] Tutty (zinc oxide), senna, china-root, confection of alkermes (see Eggleston, pp. 86-87), confection of hyacinth, tincture of myrrh, syrup of rhubarb.

[17] Filings of hartshorn.

Jonathan Washbourne

Wow! I can't believe you typed all that in! Thanks so much for the fantastic list! You even have quantities which is really helpful.

I know I need a bigger chest to be accurate. Woodall's book, The Surgeon's Mate suggests 281 different remedies to be made from the contents of the chest. In fact, the surgeon's chest was probably about as large as a seaman's chest. To give you an idea of its height, according to some sources, it was used to hold up one end of the operating table. (That will be expensive to fly to Key West if I make one. We damn well better have a whole surgeon's show at that point. :lol: )

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

I cheated and copy and pasted it in. It would take me a week to type all that.

Check out the book yourself on http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

just type in privateer.

You might be interested in this one -

A MANUAL

OF THE

OPERATIONS OF SURGERY

FOR THE USE OF

SENIOR STUDENTS, HOUSE SURGEONS, AND

JUNIOR PRACTITIONERS.

ILLUSTRATED.

Jonathan Washbourne

• 1 month later...
I would like to play, but I will have to think about something I can contribute...actually, I'd be willing to spring for another folding knife from Weeping Heart trading company. I really like mine.

When I was at the Hampton Blackbeard festival I was chatting with Greg from Weeping Heart and asked him about the folding knife. He had one under the counter and I told him I wanted to buy it for the chest auction. "I'll donate it, then." So my donation for the auction is now Greg's donation for the auction. I'll bring the knife with me to PiP.

So now I have to think of something else to contribute...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have nearly completed the boarding pike, and I need some input. This one will be blunted for stage combat and if it works out I will make a few more as time allows. The quandry is there were basically two lengths for boarding pikes (variable of course) that I have found reference to. The longer ones were over six feet of shaft with the pike head making it near seven feet long, and the shorter version of five feet in total length, most likely for use in action below decks. For the shaft I have decided to go with hardwood flagpole standards because they are easily obtained and replaced if broken, and they are available in both lengths. They also have a round knob on the top that I will invert, or rather suggest that they be inverted to the bottom, as this adds security for gripping in combat. To help me with shipping costs and packing, I will have the standard shipped to Capt. Jim directly and the person who ends up owning it will be responsible for final fitting of the pike to the shaft. Now finally... the question;

What length would be preferred?

Bo

I have been working on this thing this morning and realized just now that it would be of greater benefit if this pike were in useable order when it arrives. So.... I will go ahead and fit it to a long standard and ship it seperately from the chest of goodies. I figure two can be shipped in a carpet tube cut to length, so if I can do it, I will send two. (This way they can be used in battle if you so choose) If the "new" owner wants to shorten it, then they can do so if it so pleases them. Longer is more intimidating. These are stage props and not really PC versions mind you. I still think it looks good, hope you all do too.

Bo

• 1 month later...

Captain Jim, I will be sending the chest and a few other goodies out today. The waistcoat and stryker and odds & ends that I mentioned as well as some other trinkets collected that I no longer have use for. I cannot work the forge until break, so I hope to get at least one pike done, and maybe Callenish's lantern holders. Classes are really taking alot of my time, so this may or may not happen in time for PiP. Sorry if it does not. Economic pressure and depression sets in. :blink:

Anyway, hope everyone enjoys themselves, and hope for pleasant weather for you all. I am going to give up the ghost and get rid of my re-enacting gear. I will not be attending any more events. Sorry i never got to meet so many of you. Best wishes to all.

Bo

I anxiously await the chest etc.

Thou shalt not give up. I have cut my reenacting back to just one event this year, PiP, because of financial crap. And I have done exactly no projects for my gear this year. But next year will be better and, if not, there is the year after that. Its not like the clothes sitting in the closet are going to go out of style or anything. Most importantly, you have met us. Not in person, no, but you have come to know us in a small way and we you. Here, in this Pub, are collected some of the finest people that I have ever met, either virtually or in person, and if I never attend another Pyrate gathering these people are something that I, for one, will not give up.

So stay in touch, ye crusty old pyrate.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

I anxiously await the chest etc.

Thou shalt not give up. I have cut my reenacting back to just one event this year, PiP, because of financial crap. And I have done exactly no projects for my gear this year. But next year will be better and, if not, there is the year after that. It's not like the clothes sitting in the closet are going to go out of style or anything. Most importantly, you have met us. Not in person, no, but you have come to know us in a small way and we you. Here, in this Pub, are collected some of the finest people that I have ever met, either virtually or in person, and if I never attend another Pyrate gathering these people are something that I, for one, will not give up.

So stay in touch, ye crusty old pyrate.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Anyway, hope everyone enjoys themselves, and hope for pleasant weather for you all. I am going to give up the ghost and get rid of my re-enacting gear. I will not be attending any more events. Sorry i never got to meet so many of you. Best wishes to all.

Bo

NAY !!!!, sez I.... We won't have it !! Hang on to your stuff, Bro. Things will evolve in your life to where you can get back into the pirate world at some point. I was really hoping to meet you at some point. We seem to have similar attitudes. If you just wait a while, I think you will find your way back to the Dark Side.....

>>>> Cascabel

Thanks for the pep talk, but I'm afraid this is it for me. If I am able to finish my schooling and get to teach,(which ain't lookin too good either), I won't have alot of time left for it anyhow. Not much goes on during summer months that I can do with my heat/humidity problems and such. Reality bites, but that's that. We still have our horses to ride and that is expensive enough. Anyhow, I did pick up a cheesy India made cavalry type sabre in a scabbard for $5 at the flea market . The steel is suprisingly very good, it is an older wall hanger from the 60's or 70's. It will convert very nicely into a pyratey cutlass if anyone is interested in it, I will send it along as well. got to get back to my books, but will check in later.

Bo

No no no no no no no no no ~

That simply will not do. I humbly request you store gear, and wait. Life has a cycle, and I expect the opportunity to participate shall present itself! Not to repeat the obvious, but, as Captain Jim so kindly pointed out, your kit is Already Paid For, and you look Fantastic in it. Patience, friend ~ make no decision in haste.

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

A word of advice; DO NOT tell the folks at the Post Office that you are going to mail a machete! Man! What an ordeal I had today. I have shipped guns before and swords, and these people have seen me for years. I don't know what was in their coffee this mornin but it wasn't happy juice. I am going to stop off at the UPS shipping place on the way home tomorrow instead. I thought they were going to have me arrested, seriously. SHEESH! What drama and such a scene! Anyway, a day later but it is on the way. I will get the tracking info to Captain Jim when I get home tomorrow from classes. If the UPS folks ask, I ain't gonna be truthful!!!

Bo