Dead Man's Chest

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A gangrenous hangnail, sir. Please make sure you fully appreciate my diagnosis. :ph34r:

Here's a charming bit I just read. This is definitely going in my treatise on barberous-surgery under the heading of wound cauterization:

“In 1801, John Bell commented that “[t]he horror of the patient, and his ungovernable cries, the hurry of the operator and assistants, the sparkling of the irons, and the hissing of blood against them, must have made terrible scenes, and surgery must in those dark days have been a horrid trade.” [from Bell, J. Principles of Surgery, 1:150]

Taken from The Evolution of Surgical Instruments by John Kirkup, p. 318

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Great idea!

I could contribute something. Maybe a goodluck piece on a leather cord as a simple necklace, given to him by his long-lost sweetheart? Or something tribal he picked up on his travels? I do jewelry, so for me this would be easy. :ph34r:

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Angus died of Malaria, (or possibly something he picked up in Marsailles :ph34r: ), but a charm wouldn't have helped anyway. ;)

Yes, a charm; that would be a fine addition to the effects, most seamen being a superstitious lot.

I have aleady begun construction of the chest as we have a long weekend and not alot of homework. This is going to be fun. I have also decided to use my recently acquired writing skills to fabricate Angus's background story to be included in the lot.

I was also kicking around the idea of weapons. I know we cannot get too crazy with this money wise, but I'm sure that a decent blade can be put together from flea-market parts. I pass up cheesy Indian swords all the time, but I think I will find one that can be made into a stage/hanger type sword for this project too. I may call upon some other Pyrates to help put one together once I find a suitable blade to use.

Bo

A gangrenous hangnail, sir. Please make sure you fully appreciate my diagnosis. :ph34r:

In truth, 'twas not the hangnail but the amputation... at the thigh, for said hangnail, that did the poor fellow in...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I've got a really nasty description of a thigh amputation somewhere, too. (On another computer...alas. You'll have to wait for my book.)

A note from the surgeon files...

Malaria...they probably would have called it 'fever' and attributed it to 'contamination from foul air.' Diseases were very poorly understood at this time.

It'd probably be more likely that he would have died from scurvy, which was also not well understood, but was understood to be an illness unto itself unlike the multiple things ascribed to the term 'fever.' If he got the problem in Marseilles, this was better understood and usually treated with Mercury. So he could have died either from Mercury poisoning from treatment or syphilis (which was one of the more deadly VDs of the time).

Interesting factoid about VD. During this time, the BRN charged sailors who contracted VD for treatment as they felt it was the sailor's fault and the BRN shouldn't have to pay for his treatment. This resulted in a lot of sailors with VD not reporting it (in addition to the cost of the treatment, it was embarrassing enough to admit to having contracted such diseases.) This may or may not have been prevalent on pirate vessels, I suppose. (Keep in mind, all dewy-eyed romantic notions of pirate independence and freedom-orientation aside, many of them probably kept with BRN traditions.)

See all this crap I'm learning? :lol:

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

If he got the problem in Marseilles, this was better understood and usually treated with Mercury. So he could have died either from Mercury poisoning from treatment or syphilis (which was one of the more deadly VDs of the time).

Interesting factoid about VD. During this time, the BRN charged sailors who contracted VD for treatment as they felt it was the sailor's fault and the BRN shouldn't have to pay for his treatment. This resulted in a lot of sailors with VD not reporting it (in addition to the cost of the treatment, it was embarrassing enough to admit to having contracted such diseases.) This may or may not have been prevalent on pirate vessels, I suppose. (Keep in mind, all dewy-eyed romantic notions of pirate independence and freedom-orientation aside, many of them probably kept with BRN traditions.)

See all this crap I'm learning? :lol:

Ugh!! Mercury....Ye just put me off of Mistress McKinney for a month... :huh::huh:

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

By George we've created a monster... okay, William really created it... but in the long run, tis grand that Mission is taking such an interest in his...ahem ... craft... will be nice to have a surgeon that actually plays his part...

Crewe of the Archangel

I vote for "Mercury poisoning "

from a page on Blackbeard; http://blindkat.hegewisch.net/pirates/whosbb.html

""It is also claimed that at one time he kept eleven of the most prominent citizens of Charleston as hostage for several days until the city finally paid his ransom demand. His demand? It was a demand for medicine and nothing more. It seems pirates tend to die faster from VD than fighting.""

I think I have seen that account mentioned a number of times in productions covering Blackbeard.

So I would guess Pirates were concerned with their health as much as any sailor might be.

I think ye be a little bit hard on Mission, he is more than likely at the top 10% of those who would pass for 'surgeon' aboard most vessels of the time. :huh:

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I

I vote for "Mercury poisoning "

from a page on Blackbeard;  http://blindkat.hegewisch.net/pirates/whosbb.html

""It is also claimed that at one time he kept eleven of the most prominent citizens of Charleston as hostage for several days until the city finally paid his ransom demand. His demand? It was a demand for medicine and nothing more. It seems pirates tend to die faster from VD than fighting.""

I think I have seen that account mentioned a number of times in productions covering Blackbeard.

So I would guess Pirates were concerned with their health as much as any sailor might be.

I think ye be a little bit hard on Mission, he is more than likely at the top 10% of those who would pass for 'surgeon' aboard most vessels of the time.  :lol:

:lol:

I'm planning to use the original quote about Blackbeard's demand for a medicine chest (which is actually from The General History of the Most Notorious Pyrates) as one of two starting stories for my book on barber-surgery (the other is from Exquemelin's classic The Buccaneers of America). I am going to write an on-line book on the topic like the PiP 2007 "book" and put it on my website, complete with pictures. That's why I have been reading so much. I have this file of notes (anything interesting, I underline and later type into a Word file) is now at 66 pages. :lol: By the time I'm done with all the resources I have, The notes alone might make a good book...if a little disjointed.

I've sort of come to the conclusion that there were two broad types of pirate surgeons. Maybe three.

One is the quack who couldn't get a job with the BRN and wasn't trusted on land. This is a tad far-fetched as during this period, the need for surgeons on land was great. I've read that some of the surgeons in Caribbean ports were the worst around because they were basically surgeons from ships who were considered to be so bad that they were thrown off, despite the great need for them. (Getting treated in port was a good example of the cure being harsher than the disease.) But they still did all right because there was no alternative. (This gives credence to that bit about the surgeons in Captain Blood, actually. :lol: ) Anyhow, the BRN, going at least as far back as 1620, required ships to have surgeons and, if the ship was large, surgeon's mates. They paid for crap, so they mostly wound up with neophytes fresh out of school (frequently from Scotland - I forget the name of the school) serving as a surgeon's and surgeon's mates. They rarely served more than a journey or two to get experience and then went back and established offices on land.

The second type, which I fancy Mission to be, was a legitimate surgeon on a ship (some merchants carried surgeons as well, although this was spotty during Period) who was captured by pirates and made to serve. They had a sort of 'professional prisoner' role. (Surgeons usually weren't required to sign the articles. I'm not completely clear what the benefit to the pirates was (perhaps the surgeon was in such a good position vis-a-vis his expertise that the pirates wanted to do whatever it took to keep him) but to the surgeon, it meant he could claim he was forced to serve and most courts would believe this - if he hadn't signed the articles. The Blackbeard example highlights the necessity of pirates to have adequate medical care. I have another story about a (non-pirate) crew that actually abandoned ship when they found out that the medical chest was almost empty.

The third type (I haven't quite decided if this is legitimately different or not, but I'll include it here) is usually the second type of surgeon who became sympathetic to the pirates for whatever reason and joined them. Again, we have the "no signing of the articles" thing in there that would complicate identifying such people. I was reading about a surgeon, Thomas Dover, who eventually became a pirate captain. (He was part of the group that rescued Andrew Selkirk, the inspiration for Robinson Crusoe for you history tidbit fans). He actually sounds like the first type (a bit of quack - although it's hard to say given the fluid nature of treatment theories during Period) who was pretty sympathetic to the pirates all along. He certainly seems to be of dubious character. You can read all about him on-line here.

Blah, blah, blah. That's your history lesson for today. I'm so far OT! Sorry, Bo! (See, you shouldn't get me started!)

A gangrenous hangnail, sir. Please make sure you fully appreciate my diagnosis.  :lol:

In truth, 'twas not the hangnail but the amputation... at the thigh, for said hangnail, that did the poor fellow in...

...And the hangnail was on his thumb...

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

ahoy Bo.

would ye be wanting anything o the ceramic variety for our " departed" seamen? pipe , bottle, or tankard????????

Salty

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

Yes Ma'm, that would be a most excellent addition. Whatever you choose M'Lady will be fine. Let me know and i will ad it to the list.

Captain Jim has agreed to be the keeper of the chest, and we will figure out soon who will take the incoming items. Still have plenty of time so we can plan accordingly.

Thanks to everyone for the support of this scheme. It makes me feel a little better knowing I can participate from afar.

Bo

what a great idea... how about a worn out old pair of wool socks.. sounds like something a simple man would have... or a little frame with a picture of his sweetheart... I'll definitely donate something. I'll bring a couple of things along that might work to give to the chest, you let me know what you want. I think its a GREAT IDEA!!

RNR2.gif

“PIRACY, n. Commerce without its folly-swaddles, just as God made it.”

Ambrose Bierce

how about a worn out old pair of wool socks..

Send those AIR MAIL PLEASE!!! :ph34r:

I doubt that there were many pictures of sweethearts in a common mans effects as they would be painted miniatures and expensive then, but common clothing items are great! For those who don't want the hasle of mailing stuff, by all means take it with you when you go. The mailing thing is for folks like me who cannot go.

Thanks again for your support.

Bo

I doubt that there were many pictures of sweethearts in a common mans effects as they would be painted miniatures and expensive then,

DUH - sometimes I get a bit ahead (time) of myself :lol:

a silhouette ? - guess I'm a romantic at heart- wanting him to have some memento of a sweetheart - poor dead thing ;)

RNR2.gif

“PIRACY, n. Commerce without its folly-swaddles, just as God made it.”

Ambrose Bierce

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:

The box is built, and I am now preparing to fit it with hadware. It is a small box intended for personal items so there will be some things donated that won't fit inside

Dimensions of the INSIDE of the box= 14 1/2"L X 7 1/4"W X 8 3/16"D

photos to follow when the hardware is installed.

Bo

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you who have seen my pike/spear on the photo thread, I am re-designing for a second attempt, It will be a combination of period blacksmithing and modern wire-welding. My question is this. If I send one to PiP with Angus' effects, will there be any interest in this, will it cause a riot, what do you all think? I will not send the shaft, it will be the head only.

Bo

This is my first attempt. While fully functional, I am still not happy with it. This one I made from an old walking plow-share (or rear tyne) and it is very sharp to be used for feral hog hunting if I ever get enough time to go.

pyrate1.jpg

The next ones will be completely different in design and I am considering making them blunt with no sharp edge so they can be used for mock combat. The new design will have the cross piece that I thought were called "linguets" that keep the blade portion from piercing all the way through. A sort of "stop" below the blade portion.

Fedback?

Bo

Cap'n Bo...

Yer lookin' ta do something of this nature...

GW-2262.jpg

Which can also be done with just a rod put through the base of the cone/attachment cup...

I would suggest you do that to your boar spear before going hunting with it... I know of cases where after stabbing a boar, it continued up the spear shaft and attacked the wielder... I've seen examples of boar spears with a pistol barrel attached near the tip, with either a pull cord to fire it, or a pressure type trigger that would fire when the spear was thrust into the animal...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org