Question on gaiters

Captain Pogue

Mr. Bagsley, I meant to thank you for the wonderful links to info you came up with. Very helpful and informative. I am doing a bit of research on leggins and their use through history for my own use and these sites provide alot of insight that is very useful. Well done sir!

Bo

Mr. Pougue, I failed to mention the research you povided as well. Forgive me that oversight if you will. Good stuff!

I have been taking this forward to the ACW period, and besides the 7th Kansas "Redlegs" I have found two written journal/ letter references mentioning, and four period sketches showing leggins of various types worn by civilians and both sides of the military. The sketches show a type of material wrapped around the leg and tied at knee and ankle on one civilian, another shows an account of mosby's Rangers and Federal cavalry fighting in close quarters, and one of the dismounted Rangers has on a pair of NA type leggins, and right behind him is a mounted federal trooper with fringed leggins of a more tailored variety. Not a standard item but definitely present in this era too.

Bo

• 1 month later...

As it so often happens, I was researching one thing, and found something I wasn't looking for...

I was at the Toronto Reference Library reading through their copy of British Infantry Uniforms Since 1660 (by: Michael Barthorp), and I found a reference dated to 1710 in which Marlborough ordered that "the Foot be provided with white gaiters, both officers and soldiers". I would wager that is a clear reference to the use of (probably) canvas gaiters from at least that time. (for those who want to, the citation is from page 20)

Michael_banner.jpg

Hmm... interesting question and interesting finds.

I'd pondered this m'self. And good to see the evidence (hopefully).

Think those are leather or wool? Or maybe made of some doeskin?

Indeed, Patrick. Interesting to see a pocket put on the leg and not on the hip or the waist where I have previously seen them. Most interesting.

~Lady B

:D

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

• 3 months later...