New AWE DVD...

Iron Bess

The only fight scene I can remember is the maelstrom, it was good and climatic and all. But, little quiche... The kraken, the big baddie in DMC is killed off with one sentence... They show it later to add impact to Jack and Hector's exchange, and to give Pintel and Reggati some lines... Shipwreck island, cool idea! It's a shame they didn't have Beckett's force invade and have a fight scene there, once again little quiche... Captain Teague. Yeah it's cool and all that Keith Richards was the inspiration for Jack and he got to play his dad. But an actor and some more background would have been awesome. By now the patteren is established. There was so many things that were dangled in front of us that we didn't get to fully experience.

Hear, hear! Except I thought the maelstrom fight was sort of absurd on several levels as I mentioned elsewhere. I would much rather have seen a big fight between the armada, the pirates and shipwreck island. (Axe the whole Jones/Calypso storyline. Jones may as well have been dispatched in the second movie so that could confine all that stuff to DMC. It wouldn't have detracted from the third movie at all - in fact it would have made it clearer.)

Davy Jones, got his tadpoles snipped by Beckett. I loved Davy Jones, Bill Nighy was awesome and he was enjoyable to watch in DMC. In AWE he was an angry child. Instead of a having a range of emtion he is limited to being pissy...

Here I disagree. As you state later, "too many ideas and not enough time," and the whole Davy Jones/Calypso storyline combined with the Becket storyline (which had potential they basically left lying on the floor) was too much. (It's sort of a pat solution: the whole point of the trilogy as seen at the end of AWE is that big business trumps mysticism, but the pirates get to go free - for awhile. Most of us know what happened to the GAoP pirates). It does wind up being a sort of potboiler once you get past all the "complex" storylines.

It also comes down to being a true fan of these movies. It's either you love them or you don't, plain and simple.

I don't see where you get that from. I thought the first film was great. After seeing some of the effects on TV, I even went in the first time a bit skeptical based on other pirate movies that I had seen before the first movie. However, I went on to see it 7 times in the theater. (I've never seen any other movie more than twice in the theater.) Besides, isn't that statement a bit like the statement that "Only people who believe in ghosts can see them?" :lol:

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Iron Bess did mention that they had re-cut the movie at the last minute. AWE had some great moments in it - I loved seeing Barbossa really come into his own as a captain. However, I think that if the movie had been shown as it was originally edited, fewer folks would have had misgivings about it.

I'm hoping they'll release a Director's Cut where we'll see something that more resembles what the movie was originally meant to be.

RHJMap.jpg

But... and here comes the catch... if a major (as in MAJOR) studio like Disney screws up POTC, as they almost done in part 3,

I do not believe that Disney almost screwed up POTC 3...I am honestly trying to distance myself away from the movie to see exactly why some viewers disliked the movie...it's quite hard for me to find a spot that I didn't like...perhaps liked the least would be Murtogg and Mullroy scenes. The movie could have done without their bits...

All historical facts aside, what could AWE have done to make it more likable to those that didn't find it a good movie?

Are people looking for more romance? More fighting scenes? Less comic relief? I'll never tire of "why's the rum gone?" and it was presented differently in each movie...

Watching Johnny become Jack Sparrow is priceless. There is so much effort,study,dedication,spirt,soul put into that character that it just blows my mind to see Jack on the screen and when I think I have his character down pact, damn, there goes Jack in another direction! The trickster is the hero is the trickster.

And Johnny Depp fans have more to view than just the movie. Whether he does this intentionally or not, Johnny throws a part of another character from another movie into the one he is working on.

John Wilmot showed up in Dead Man's Chest a few times...Jack was in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,not to mention Ed Wood!

But since Jack has become an icon of this century, people want to see Jack again. Whether he'll be the last pirate or a cleric of the church of England, fans will flock to see the movies and Disney will make money on all the dvds, products from soap,cereal,ice cream to frozen pizzas,coffee mugs, lunch boxes, lamps and more...and fans will still buy all things POTC...

kttcsignature.jpg

All in all, I enjoyed the film. I've seen FAR worse films with WORSE plots and god knows what else to it. Those films make AWE Oscar material for Best Picture.

The DVD was wonderful.

I heard that Best Buy had another disc with it of special features. Not sure yet as there is only one Best Buy here in town and that's on the other side of town!

I was pleased with the DVD and the special featuers. LOVE "Two Captains, one ship"! Absolutely fantastic! Again, poor Barbossa. :lol:

Neat info in there. And again, the "Easter Eggs" were rather cool.

Can't wait for the Boxed Set. I'll buy that in 2008 along with the box set of "The Mysterious Cities of Gold"! :P

Perhaps there is one of the reasons where I fancy PotC... is cause of MCoG. Taking historical and mixing it with fictional and fantasy. Turning the unbelieveable into the possible. And that's where my love of History started, too.

Anything is possible.

~Lady B

;)

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Number 2 = Kono eiga, zettai omoshiroi to kitai shite mita keredo suka datta ne. That is IMHO.

Number 3 and anything else...Shrug... Katte ni shiro. :rolleyes:

Cause I have too much going on at the moment to worry about anything else.

so if you like them ...fine!

if'n ya don't ...fine

They really aren't important and it is really very silly to keep going on about...they are just movie make believe! In a few more months they won't mean anything at all because something else will take their place!

tipp'n m'tricone...stroll'n away

Wenches 'nd Rogues .... ta Lady has left ta thread!

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

• 2 weeks later...

Just posting me two bits on the DVD, as I got it for Christmas.

I've been waiting for the chance to watch AWE with subtitles, made it a bit easier to understand. :o

Overall, and I never thought I'd say this, I really hope for a 4th now... First time I saw it I wasn't all that impressed, but after seeing it at home, I've really taken a shine to it!

The first Pirates movie will always be the best in my mind, had the perfect combination of real/fantasy, but once they took the leap over the line of realism into insane fantasy with DMC; AWE became a fine addition.

@ Lady Seahawke: kaita koto wo hotondo douchou shimasu. Minna, kono eiga wo jibun no you ni tanoshinda hou ga iinja nai, ne? Maa...boku mo saisho #2 & #3 wo mita toki, suki ja nakattandakedo, mireba miru hodo suki ni natta.

Sea Captain: Yar, that be handsome pete, he dances on the pier for nickels!

Sea Captain: Arrr... you gave him a quarter, he'll be dancin all day.

• 3 weeks later...