The Winter Holiday's

Well since tomorrow is Thanksgiving I thought I would start a thread on Yer Holiday Traditions and Holiday Passions. Now tis the time of Winter and the warmth of family and friends. And tis a time of Goode Cheer and Many Blessings. May the Milk of Human Kindness fill yer Cup through out the Year.

What do you do for the Holidays? Do you have any Happy Memories you would like to share? Any Family Traditions that you keep for that special time of year? What are yer favorite Holiday scents, foods, poems, books, movies and songs?

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.

spice cakes, and holly

not one for selerating the christmas season, but do keep the solstice and yule as I may.

favorite holiday memory of the past: taking the team out for a winter ride.

favorite holiday thought now........making new tradtions and sharing old ones

Many blessings of the seasons to all,

Salty

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

One of our favorite holiday traditions starts tomorrow after all the dinner dishes are put away. I'll put some holiday simmer on the stove and while the house is filling up with the scent of oranges, lemons, cloves and cinnamon, we'll take out a couple of boxes of Christmas decorations. Once the football games are over, we'll pop in A Christmas Story and laugh our butts off.

One of my favorite Christmas CD's is Jimmy Buffett's Christmas Island.

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

I absolutely Love the Holidays. I wait all year round for them. It is the one time of year you can digress and truly be a kid again.

We celebrate Yule and Christmas. It is a wonderful time of the year with decorating the house and tree. Every year I try to do a little something different. And I have collected so many ornaments that I can pick and choose each year what to use.

And I Love the time when you can listen to Christmas Music. It lightens my heart. My parents house was always filled with Christmas Music, the smell of baking cookies, the aroma of oranges and tangerines. Hmmmm....so many happy memories.

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

The family goes to see The Christmas Revels!

We've been going to that for ten years now. It's a celebration of the Solstice, Christmas, and Yule in general. One of the neat things that they do is to involve the audience in the dancing and the singing, in which I participate with hearty abandon every year. Funny thing is, pretty much every year, someone a row or two immediately in front of me would turn around at the end of the program and say something to the effect of "Why aren't you down there on stage?" :(

Well, this year I took them up on the idea. Singing tenor with the local chapter. San Francisco Bay Area pirates who might be interested, the local site is California Revels.

Our house isn't big enough to have a full-sized christmas tree, so I have about six small, table-top ones that I decorate and put all over the house. Since these aren't real trees, I cut pine branches from outside, and bring them in for the smell. Another decorating tradition is to fill large, clear glass bowls with bright colored ornaments and strings of Christmas beads. I let the beads kinda spill over the top.

A tradition that we just started last year is going to the Shore Acres Christmas Light display. Shore Acres is a huge public garden just outside of Charleston, OR, and about ten minutes away from where we keep our boat. The gardens are on an estate that overlooks the ocean (the house burned down decades ago, and only the gardens remain). It takes them months to string all the plants, hedges, ponds, etc. with lights. They also have animated scenes, all done in lights. Last year as you came in, they had lights that made it look as if you were underwater. At eye-level were fish, jelly fish, etc. Above, you could just see the legs of water birds. On the ground were starfish, crabs, and seaweed — all in lights. Along with all the lights, they have carolers, and free cookies and hot cider. It's pretty awesome. And it's free, other than the $3 parking fee (it's a state park).

Hey, maybe people could post pictures of some of their holiday decorations, once they are up. That would be a fun thing to share. :(

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

I used to drive to familiar haunts to see the sublime and ridiculous decorations. There used to be a couple of houses in San Francisco that had displays that almost defied description.

One of the houses put a plethora of those plastic decorations that are lit from within. They all fell within the general Christmas theme, but that's the closest they came to matching. The Nativity scene was scattered around the front lawn and mixed with other characters. As in the three wise men and... Snoopy. And to the left might be some Victorian carolers next to Mickey Mouse in a Santa hat. There didn't appear to be any rhyme or reason for how these were arranged. And at one point, the eyes of the angel in the nativity scene faded and they drew them back in - the result was the most demonic looking angel I had ever seen in my life.

In another house on the same street, some folks turned their front bedroom into a teddy bear wonderland. Not unusual, but the biggest bear was HUGE. As in it was about seven feet wide by seven feet tall by seven feet deep - sitting down. The next largest bear was about the size of a person and it was dwarfed by the biggest one. The rest of the space was filled with bears of varying colours and sizes. I suspect these folks just kept the bears in that room and just opened the curtains a few weeks before Christmas. They've since moved - I can't imagine how they got that bear out of that room...

RHJMap.jpg

Christmas traditions....well, nowadays we spend most of it driving! Approximately 14 hours in a car (both ways) to see my folks and in-laws. There never seems to be enough time to relax…constantly on the dash while we trying to make the rounds to everyone’s home.

Give me the good old days when I use to sneak down the hallway with my twin sister and we’d try to peak at the tree before the official “get out of bed time” of 6:30 am! The room would be a glow from the big bright colored lights on the six foot REAL tree.

We’d always make sure we took turns playing Santa and it always seemed to go by so quickly.

Now I long to be with the people I love and miss so much…the material stuff just doesn’t matter much anymore…the value of getting older and wiser.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Jack and I do a thematic tree each year - we've done a Nightmare before Christmas tree, an over-the-top bling tree, a south seas tiki/headhunter tree, a pirate (surprised?...) tree, etc. One thing they all have in common is our tree topper. It's always a skull that we accessorize to match the theme.

Treetopper.jpg

This year's tree will have a Mardi Gras theme and the skull will be sporting a lovely gold mask. I'll be sure to take pics.

RHJMap.jpg

Beginning with Thanksgiving, I love to share my home with family and friends and we usually invite as many as we can to join us for dinner. This year I prepared a 22 pound turkey with a dressing to go along with it of a blend of 4 dark breads and loads of fresh onions and celery and mushrooms and fresh herbs and fresh roasted chestnuts and lots of sausage for flavour. Along with whipped cauliflower with rich herb sour cream to add to the creaminess I made a green bean dish with reggiano cheese and an orange/pecan fresh cranberry relish. As for desert I prepared a pumpkin my son had brought home; halved it and gutted it coated it with raw ginger and fresh ground cloves and nutmeg and grated cinnamon over it and roasted it in the oven. when it was well roasted i scooped it out and pureed it in the food processor and added heavy cream and several eggs and a generous portion of black rum and chopped black walnuts filled a pie crust and made a home made pumpkin custard pie. We only had an intimate gathering this year with 5 folks. With desert we had Irish coffee and brandy or port ......

This is the beginning of a season of feasts for family and friends with very traditional Scottish meals including a venison stew meal or roast goose or a standing rib roast with a black bun and minced meats and steamed puddings for Yule and Christmas, New Year's Eve, New Year's Day and Twelfth Night In the past I have always invited the international students from the university to join us for a Solstice Peace Night of feasting. My friend a local minister allows me to use the parish hall to prepare and serve that meal for usually as many as 40-50 students and professors.

As always I ask my friends, if you're traveling through northern Pennsylvania, drop me a line and stop in for a meal and drinks or coffee along your way. No one is turned away or goes away hungry! God Bless!!! :lol:<_<:ph34r::lol:

Beginning with Thanksgiving, I love to share my home with family and friends and we usually invite as many as we can to join us for dinner. This year I prepared a 22 pound turkey with a dressing to go along with it of a blend of 4 dark breads and loads of fresh onions and celery and mushrooms and fresh herbs and fresh roasted chestnuts and lots of sausage for flavour. Along with whipped cauliflower with rich herb sour cream to add to the creaminess I made a green bean dish with reggiano cheese and an orange/pecan fresh cranberry relish. As for desert I prepared a pumpkin my son had brought home; halved it and gutted it coated it with raw ginger and fresh ground cloves and nutmeg and grated cinnamon over it and roasted it in the oven. when it was well roasted I scooped it out and pureed it in the food processor and added heavy cream and several eggs and a generous portion of black rum and chopped black walnuts filled a pie crust and made a home made pumpkin custard pie. We only had an intimate gathering this year with 5 folks. With desert we had Irish coffee and brandy or port ......

This is the beginning of a season of feasts for family and friends with very traditional Scottish meals including a venison stew or roast goose or a standing rib roast with a black bun and minced meats and steamed puddings for Yule and Christmas, New Year's Eve, New Year's Day and Twelfth Night In the past I have always invited the international students from the university to join us for a Solstice Peace Night of feasting. My friend a local minister allows me to use the parish hall to prepare and serve that meal for usually as many as 40-50 students and professors.

As always I ask my friends, if you're traveling through northern Pennsylvania, drop me a line and stop in for a meal and drinks or coffee along your way. No one is turned away or goes away hungry! God Bless!!! :lol:<_<:ph34r::lol:

We used to raise Jacob sheep, and for years we would hold an open house one day in December, and I would make a huge batch of lamb stew, and serve it with homemade ale bread, or herb bread. We also served snacks, hot cider, mulled wine, and eggnog — straight or spiked. The open house idea works best for us, as our house is small, and there isn't room for a big gang of people. We held it from ten in the morning until four in the afternoon, and people could come at the best time for them. It was a lot of fun.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

They say when you die that you can return to a time in your life that you enjoyed the most. For me it would be returning to my childhood Christmas’s. The Holidays have always been a magic time of the year for me. Both my Mother and Father made this time of year special and truly endearing to my heart.

When ever I listen to Christmas music it takes me back to my Mother baking cookies and my Father singing to the songs. His voice a beautiful baritone melding with the songs he enjoyed.

My Mother was known for her baking. We would often bake cookies and several types of breads, several different types of fudge, and many different types of candies. She would go to a department store and buy a dozen suit/coat boxes. Then we would put together packages of cookies, breads, fudges and candies as Christmas presents for the family.

On Christmas Eve, we would turn off all the lights except the lights upon the tree. Christmas music would be playing softly in the background as my Father would read the Night Before Christmas. Then on Christmas morning we would get up and open just a few presents before heading in to my Grandmother’s where all of the family would congregate to celebrate the Season of Joy. My Grandparents then had a huge Victorian House. My Grandfather did not believe in wrapping paper so he would collect the newspaper comic strips through out the year. He would painstakingly wrap every one’s presents in newspaper comics then hang them from the huge Victorian ceiling. And when it was time to open the presents he would make a jolly big deal getting up on the ladder and cutting down each present and calling out a name.

When we got home that night we would have a small snack and open a few more presents. Then the next day we would go in to my other Grandparents house to celebrate Christmas. Once again it was always a time of Joy and great Happiness. After a scrumptious dinner we would hand out the presents and then each one of us would take turns opening one present at a time. Afterwards, my Grandfather would give each of us a shiny new silver dollar, but first we had to pick which hand he had it in which he delighted in teasing us all with the game of hiding the coin.

After we got back home we would finish opening our presents. But the stockings were always saved until last which we usually didn’t open till the next day. And every year there was always one special present in the toe of the stocking.

I miss those long ago childhood days. And it is my fondest wish to bring the magic alive for my wee lad. We celebrate both Yule and Christmas. And we are making our own traditions as well as keeping some still alive. I always make sure a special candle is lit for our loved one’s who are now in the Summerland. And I make sure that the special scents of Christmas are kept alive through out the house too. We set up several altars through out the house as well to celebrate the Holidays. I always have one altar that includes a Yule log with candles. The Yule log is very dear and special to me since my grandfather made it for me a long time ago. Another altar usually includes that of a White Buffalo and while another one includes the image of Father Christmas. And yet another altar does include the manger with the scene of baby Jesus.

And my parents were right, there is nothing to compare than to see Christmas through the eyes of a child especially when he is your own. The belief, innocence, magic and wonder and the time spent with family and friends makes the Holidays a special and wonderful time of the year.

Ahhhh, Thank you Lady Alyx. What a Wonderful site. You brought me back some very Happy Memories.

As for me I am almost done decorating. All I need to do is put the tree up, put the lights on and figure out which ornaments to use this year.

Mmmm, the Holidays, what a Wonderful Time of the Year.

As I have been listening to Christmas Music I have had many happy memories resurface. I see my self back in High School on stage for the Christmas Program. From the chorus we were a selected group: There was me, Julie, Amy and Kelly, then for the guys, there was Brian, Kenny, Wayne and Steve. We each had our own talents but when Ms. Morelli put us together our voices seemed to meld together as if the Angels were there with us lending their voices to ours. How I do miss those happy days of yore.

• 2 weeks later...

So is Every One read for the Holiday's??? :blink:

Ummm, well, about as ready as I'm gonna be this year. We did put up a tree but don't dare put decorations on it. The way the puppy and kitty chase each other under there I'm surprised the tree is still standing. So for this year it's just lights and our angel for the top. Besides, I'm too tired for Christmas. :blink:

Joins Lily in the rowboat Tired and hands her a pillow and a blankie and curls up with her own at the other end of the lil boat.

Aye Im tired as well..But exuberant..it's Christmas! Well soon to be..I miss the caroling, and all the presents and the hot chocolate..and Bingo! We always played Bingo and looked for Santa's reindeer on the Radar on the local news station.

I do those things with Nora..but we make a birthday cake for baby Jesus and celebrate his birthday. It's sort of our family tradition...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

For the past few years I've really had little reason to decorate my own home for the holidays, as I don't have any family local to me and I typically travel to see them. But this year my father flew in for a weekend a week or so after Thanksgiving (saving bonus miles er something), so I went all out with my mini tree and decorations I've collected over the years. I still have some of my Halloween decore up (and it'll never come down) so it has a somewhat twisted, humorous touch to it.

I've been listening to Christmas (and Halloween - Haunted Mansion) music at work, wearing the occasional holiday themed colors or jewelery to work, and my car has even gotten into the spirit with a red nose and antlers. And I try to participate in a few gift exchanges or Secret Santas. Gives me something to look forward to, and raises my spirit during this time o' year when talk of family often makes my heart ache.

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

I just got the last of Jack's stocking stuffers in the mail today, so I'm done! WOO HOO!! The tree is up and Jack outdid himself on the outdoor lights this year. He put up three sets of luminaria as well as other unusual lights. Other than occasionally hiding under the tree, Morgan has behaved himself and hasn't mangled anything.

Jack and I had our holiday party last weekend. For Christmas eve, we and a bunch of other pirates are going to invade Trader Vic's - THAT should be interesting... Then Christmas morning is at my folks' place and then Jack and I will have a quiet Christmas dinner. I've been really good with my diet, so this year I'm making bangers and mash (veggie bangers for me...) and Louisiana bread pudding with bourbon sauce for dessert.

RHJMap.jpg

Now...in terms of what will happen when I get over to my family out west, we'll celebrate Christmas Eve with a buffet of sorts (I forget what we're doing this year - had Mexican last year), followed by a movie, desserts (often homemade cookies, tarts or fudge) and an opening of our Christmas pajamas (I feel silly at my age doing that bit, but it's fun).

The next morning we open the gifts under the tree (which is now a tree on a wall btw), eat breakfast, open gifts from our stockings, welcome in more family, watch movies, eat snacks and then aim for an early christmas dinner.

The things I can't wait to see are the family critters (and they do have quite the litter), the snow (if only for a few days), the tree on a wall (darned critters) and my family's faces when they open some of my funnier gifts.

I'm tired too (Halloween doesn't make me this tired), but it's a manageable segue into the new year. Celebrate, rest and start anew.

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

I do not travel either..too much traffic..but im sorely tempted this year..This year on the bayou back home..tis A Cajun Christmas...Gumbo and jambalaya...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

My hubby is working Christmas Eve and Christmas Day so we're not even going celebrate with presents or dinner until the 26th. I'll just have to live vicariously through you and all your celebrations to tide me over until then. Although, my best friend will be coming in from Minnesota so I will have Christmas Eve dinner with her family. :blink: