Cry for Help

Will Fiddle

Ahoy!

Last week I began a thread in "Pirate Pop" soliciting help for a class on pirates that I will be teaching in January at my college. They want it to be fun but also academically valable. Since my doctorate focused on pirates, my department head and the Dean are allowing this since they know I can approach the subject with appropriate rigor. Part of the class will be comparing historical reality to popular mythology, thus the posting on "Pirate Pop"

I have already gotten some thoughtful responses there which have gotten me to thinking out some of the finer details of the course. But on the off chance that the people of this forum might not have been visiting that other forum, I am posting here to ask you to visit my thread there and share.

The students will also be broken into small (4-5 student) "crews" to work on research projects like maritime architecture, economics of smuggling, pirate fashion, 18th century maritime law, weaponry, period medicine... The goal is for the crews to explore a specific aspect of the pirate world and then to develop an understanding of how that particular information can also illuminate their understanding of the rest of the pirate world.

Trouble is, this opportunity hit me nine days ago whilst I am teaching six college classes. I want (need) this course to run with fair winds from beginning to end and I don't want it befouled by the barnacles and sargassum that mire me at the present moment.

So, Any additional topic suggestions would be MOST welcome.

Your most and obliged humble servant,

William Dezoma

What age group are you teaching? Presumably it's for history class?

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

In your debt,

LOL, don't mention it.

And coming to think of it, perhaps your "weaponry" dept. should include not only different small arms, cannons & missiles, but also basic artillery like "elevate a gun this much and the shot goes this farther". Or, you split it into a "small arms" and a "master gunner" dept.

banner.jpg

"The floggings will continue until morale improves!"

Foxe,

Good to hear from you sir. Chole had recommended that I write you in case you did not scan the forum in the next few days.

The students are college freshman. The course is a "general" course. I am running it as a literature course, heavy on the history. That's my backgroiund and my critical approach. The best way to understand a text is to learn more about its context.

The ultimate goals are to engender analytic observation and critical thinking. The former by learning the details of reality and applying that knowledge to the texts and films. The latter by comparing the cinematic to the realistic, with discussion working toward understanding how genres differ and evolve and how social mythologies develop.

And if they actually learn something useful in the process, so much the better. Captain Enigma's suggestion on the trajectory of artillery seem so obvious to me now. It is the sort of thing that most students don't even think about. And it is the sort of thing that might excite some of the mathematically inclined.

The class runs for three weeks and a bit in January. We meet three hours a day every day of the week. Some students use this J-term to go on archaeology digs in Italy, some go to europe to discover German culture (beer), some build homes in New Orleans, some stay on campus and have their heads filled with pirates. It is the mental activity, writings, discussions, research techniques, oral presentations, and study team dynamics that I am really working on. Piracy is but a delightful means to the end of getting the crews to improve themselves as learners.

Probably more than you wanted, but thanks for letting me formalize this a little more as I have to have the course approved by a committee, even though the class is already full and there is no turning back now.

William Dezoma

Well, one of the most significant things about pirate history is the way that myth and fact intertwine, and the one is often mistaken for the other.

Untangling the basic myths (did pirates reall bury treasure etc) is probably a bit below your class's level, but you might consider something along the lines of examining pirate democracy. On the one hand several scholars have tried to make a case for pirates of the GAoP having been far ahead of their time in terms of democracy, some even trying to take it as far as a proto-republic. On the other hand the kind of attitudes which normally produce such democratic tendencies don't sit well with the image of plundering, murdering rapists - which many pirates were. So it throws up (to my mind) three questions:

-To what extent did pirates of the GAoP demonstrate democratic principals?

-Were these principals really new and revolutionary?

-And was, for example, the voting in and out of officers a mark of democracy or simply a natural expedient for men living prolonged periods outside the scope of normal authority?

Another topic which has come up recently and might be worth further thought is the question of just how the successful pirate captains were able to retain command - what skills and qualities did they demonstrate?

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Actually, the issues you raise were part of my dissertation, though as secondary, but interesting concerns.

-To what extent did pirates of the GAoP demonstrate democratic principals?

-one of the most significant things about pirate history is the way that myth and fact intertwine, and the one is often mistaken for the other.

Defoe/Johnson's General History [No, I don't buy the claims of Furbank and Owens] is a marvelous example of this. Captain Misson's history espouses values that sound communist to the modern ear, and though he initiates and dominates the second volume, he turns out to have been an authorial fabrication. My recollection is that it took a century for the ruse to be discovered. But by then the damage was done. Generations had believed that the values presented as those of the pirates were an accurate recording of their voice.

I would call this mythology, truths that have life independent of the facts.

To be sure there were strong egalitarian and democratic values present in the pirate community, but we must question the degree to which the historic accounts are representative of actual buccaneer and pirate society. In the case of Defoe, I believe he is using the pirates as spokesperson to present his own values. Considering the time he spent in the pillory, it is easy to understand why he would maintain the ability to claim "these are not my words, I am only repeating what I have heard of the pirates" But that brings us back to the question of authorship, and that is getting beyond the scope of what my students can manage in our busy weeks.

The discussion of pirate principles and values is a must.

The discussion of how we come to know these, also a must.

Discussion of principles of leadership and expedincey also a must [and a good hook for my business majors.]

Most of my students will have just finished a course focused on Justice and Identity, and there will be continuity of those themes in this course.

William Dezoma

Patrick Hand wrote:

"College freshman.... go for the .... nah... now I have to re-think it all again........... sorry....."

Yes, I too have been wondering whether I should "go for the ..." But that is a tricky topic--if I am correct in guessing that you meant the sex angle, on raids meaning rape. Whether or not sex was the angle you were aiming at Mr Hand, it does raise the question to my mind.

The mythology of the pirate centers around figures like Flynn and Depp with a cavalier panache. The reality is differs muchly. Esquemelin condemns the excesses of Roc Brasiliano. In his account of Morgan he condemns the tortures of the captain, but there is only a hint of sexual misconduct.

But then, what was misconduct at the time and what was acceptable practice. Just before the buccaneers, Europe had been embroiled in the Thirty Years war, and that was a very nasty business. Were the pirates more genteel than european soldiers.

This might be a discussion point as it highlights how the sources we use influence the conclusion we can draw.

If you meant something else sir, please give me another response, though your first has proven quite helpful.

William Dezoma

Just an aside to the main topic: if you're not planning to bring the authorship question to the class then it would be unprofessional to describe Defoe as the author of the General History. Whether or not you believe Furbank and Owens is irrelevant: that Defoe wrote the book is only an unproven theory, and a much disputed one at that. The only name which can definitely be ascribed to the author is the pseudonym, Captain Charles Johnson.

A couple of other things to consider might be the ways in which the pirates were treated by contemporaries (perhaps including the media, zealous and corrupt colonial officials etc), and examine the reasons behind their different attitudes.

I can't help thinking that looking at pirate trials would also be an interesting lesson or two, but offhand I can't think of any suggestions for a particular "project".

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

Will

As far as the authorship of GHP is concerneded you might want to check out an article in the Papers of the Bibliographical Society of America v.98:1 2004 pg 21-38 titled Daniel Defoe, Nathaniel Mist and the Genral History of Pirates by Arne Bialuschewski. I might be in your college library or you can get it on an ILL.

The author of the article also wrote a good overview article on the GAoP for Mainer's Mirror.v.90:2 pg. 167-186 titled Between Newfoundland & the Malacca Strait: A Survey of the Golden Age of Piracy, 1695-1725. Both aritcles cite many primary source materiels.

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

A little off topic here, but a question I had when reading this post. I've heard that many pirate articles had a way to 'vote out' a current captain for another. Is there any evidence of this ever happening? And, more to the point, was it a peaceful change of power onboard? I'd imagine that installing a new captain, even within the terms of the articles, would potentially be a very bloody event. A deposed captain might cause problems in the future, thus a quick death would be less hassle than dropping him off at the next port. Just a random inquiry.

Coastie :lol:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

I would like that explored further too...

Conventional wisdom says that pirate ships were the epitome of democracy... but I think that the reality may be different.

In Cpt J's work, we see that a lot of Captains and Ships that were ruled as Dictatorships. When prizes were added to the fleet, Blackbeard appointed the new captain, there was no election.

I am not saying that pirates never voted for there captain, I just don't think that was ALWAYS the case.

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

If there's anything we can help you with regarding boardig actions and hand-to-hand maritime work, drop us a note the the HMCA website! Happy to help!

www.HistoricalMaritimeCombat.com

Monterey Jack

"yes I am a pirate 200 years too late,

the cannons don't thunder, there's nothin to plunder,

I'm an over-40 victim of fate,

arrivin too late.........."

YE Articles of conduct

Every man shall obey civil Command; the Captain shall

have one full share and a half in all Prizes; the Master,

Carpenter, Boatswain and Gunner shall have one Share

and quarter.

If any man shall offer to run away, or keep any Secret

from the Company, he shall be marroon'd with one Bottle

of Powder, one Bottle of Water, one small Arm and shot.

If any Many shall steel any Thing in the Company, or game,

to the Value of a Piece of Eight, he shall be marroon'd or shot.

If at any Time we should meet another `Marrooner ( that is

Pyrate) that Man that shall sign his Articles without the Consent

of our Company, shall suffer such Punishment as the Captain

and Company shall think fit.

That Man that shall strike another whilst these Articles are

in force, shall receive Mose's Law (that is 40 stripes lacking one)

on the bare Back.

That Man that shall snap his Arms, or smoak Tobacco in the Hold,

without a cap to his Pipe, or carry a Candle lighted without a

Lanthorn, shall suffer the same Punishment as in the former Article.

That Man that shall not keep his Arms clean, fit for an

Engagement, or neglect his Business, shall be cut off from his Share,

and suffer such other Punishment as the Captain and the Company

shall think fit.

If any Man shall lose a Joint in time of an Engagement he shall

have 400 pieces of Eight; if a limb 800.

If at any time you meet with a prudent Woman, that Man

that offers to meddle with her, without her Consent, shall

suffer present Death.

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

Glory, so many responses--so much for which to be thankful.

I will be drafting the course syllabus this week, and then designing daily lesson plans in the weeks to come. In order to do justice to the postings received, permit me the indulgence of responding to issues seperately.

Thanks again to all!

William Dezoma

Authorship of General History of the Pirates

Foxe, you wrote that "it would be unprofessional to describe Defoe as the author of the General History" Them sounds like fighting words <_<

I do not "believe Furbank and Owens is irrelevant". They are quite relevant in a significant critical enterprise to challenge the hegemony of canonical authors as the proper voices of literature. This is a vital part of salvaging our understanding of literature from the domain of 'dead white men'.

That being said, I do not buy into their argument with regard to A General History Their arguments do not address the reasoning and evidence of Moore; rather they rely on churlish attacks on the enthusiasm of his scholarship. Were they attacking a contemporary in this fashion, I might find the sniping tolerable, but enhancing one's scholarly standing by attacking a man some twenty years in the grave is something I do not gladly suffer. In their post-modern cleverness, they condemn the affectations of Moore's 1930's scholarship, but they never atually counter any of his points.

So yeah, I will be describing Defoe as the author, as I find Moore to be generally credible, as far as these things go, and I find his detractors to be generally worthy of contempt. Besides which, the Schonhorn edition by Dover puts Defoe as the author on the cover, and I think it will be emminently practical to use the name of the author that appears on the cover.

And yeah, I will be letting the students know that Charles Johnson is a pseudonym, that someone, very probably Defoe, used to publish these histories. When I said we would not go into the issue of authorship, I meant that we would not be exploring the details of the arguments of Moore and of Furbank and Owens.

What we will explore is why it was useful for the author of the GH to use a pseudonym at all. Part of that discussion will require them to get a better idea of contemporary attitudes toward pirates, but it will also require them to reflect upon the coming revolutions and cultural shifts of the eighteenth century. Shifts for which the literature of the pirates provided some early warnings.

William Dezoma

Dear Red Maria

Thanks for the lead on the Arne Bialuschewski article. I won't be able to get to it until Christmas, but I will get to it. I would have read it as part of my research for my doctorate, which was focused on the literature of Defoe and the Pirates, but it came out after I had finished writing. Most of the doctoral experience was an exercise in crushing my soul into dust.

By the time I had finished, I had no interest in looking at scholarship on the subject for quite awhile. Other aspects of the period still delighted me, and I am currently researching sermons and related lituriology, but pirates and the scholarhip around them has been off my menu for a while.

So a very special thanks to you and to Foxe, as I am finally ready to get back on that deck and ready for action.

This reply had been longer, but I mistakenly deleted it twice, and the editor in me gradually pared it back.

William Dezoma

Thanks be to oderlesseye and others for bringing up the articles.

While reading oderlesseye's post I realized the students could work in groups to develop theories for the cause and implications of each of the articles. This brainstorming and subsequent research could then be broiught into a fruitful class discussion that would help develop their understanding about the culture of the pirates in a fashion more conducive to their learning than any lecture I could ever provide. It would also force them to exercise their faculties, and that is my real objective for the course. The question is always how to accomplish that objective.

Thanks for the new lesson plan!

William Dezoma

A little off topic here, but a question I had when reading this post. I've heard that many pirate articles had a way to 'vote out' a current captain for another. Is there any evidence of this ever happening? And, more to the point, was it a peaceful change of power onboard? I'd imagine that installing a new captain, even within the terms of the articles, would potentially be a very bloody event. A deposed captain might cause problems in the future, thus a quick death would be less hassle than dropping him off at the next port. Just a random inquiry

In the summer of 1716, Hornigold was deposed as captain of the Mary Anne and Bellamy took his place....I Believe he was "voted" because of his skilled Navagation and Leaderships Qualities.

As For the Democracy aspect of some of the conversation.. "Black Sams"

View of governments are reflected in the following famous speech when they had taken a prize. :rolleyes:

"I am sorry they won't let you have your sloop again, for I scorn to do any one a mischief, when it is not to my advantage; damn the sloop, we must sink her, and she might be of use to you. Though you are a sneaking puppy, and so are all those who will submit to be governed by laws which rich men have made for their own security; for the cowardly whelps have not the courage otherwise to defend what they get by knavery; but damn ye altogether: damn them for a pack of crafty rascals, and you, who serve them, for a parcel of hen-hearted numbskulls. They vilify us, the scoundrels do, when there is only this difference, they rob the poor under the cover of law, forsooth, and we plunder the rich under the protection of our own courage. Had you not better make then one of us, than sneak after these villains for employment?"

As Captain of the Whydah (Sam Belemy) did against his own will the will of the crew..Sink the sloop. So majority ruled in this case..However as pointed out previously..Blackbeard operated as a dictator not taking into account the will of the crew less it was to his advantage. His abondoning part of his crew for his own pocket is proof enough.

This contrast of how pirate ships/crews worked socially shows there was not a "pirate nation.'

Historical proof shows only the exsistance of "Pirate haunts /such as Naussua or San Juan Island. " the notion of a Pirate Nation is as a legend though a somewhat pervasive idea with pirates who were already well to do, but again no pirate was politically movited to be pirate. It was survival, freedom ,greed, power and alike.

Tis my speculation based on books I have read

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

A little off topic here, but a question I had when reading this post.  I've heard that many pirate articles had a way to 'vote out' a current captain for another.  Is there any evidence of this ever happening?  And, more to the point, was it a peaceful change of power onboard?  I'd imagine that installing a new captain, even within the terms of the articles, would potentially be a very bloody event.  A deposed captain might cause problems in the future, thus a quick death would be less hassle than dropping him off at the next port.  Just a random inquiry.

Coastie :(

What comes to mind is the voting off Charles Vane as Captain and voting in of Jack Rackham. Vane and his suportters (what little he had) were put in a boat with some provisions and cast off. No confrontation bloody or otherwise.

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

Thanks to Monteray Jack and the crew at the HMCA.

I am not sure how to integrate combat as a group activity, though I am thinking... :D

But I will list the site on the Blackboard resource list for the course.

It would be a good topic for an individual report, perhaps several reports for different weapons. And even if they don't report, they can explore the site, as I am doing presently.

William Dezoma

Thanks to Monteray Jack and the crew at the HMCA.

I am not sure how to integrate combat as a group activity, though I am thinking... :D

True, actually working the fight scenarios sould be done with qualified instructor at hand, but even if the site sparks some questions, we'd be happy to help.

Monterey Jack

"yes I am a pirate 200 years too late,

the cannons don't thunder, there's nothin to plunder,

I'm an over-40 victim of fate,

arrivin too late.........."