Belt Buckles

Pirate Petee

There are a couple interesting ones here. I'm still looking for some myself. Sure I can get the Jack Sparrow ones... But I've limited myself to one Sparrow item or else become a Sparrow clone. I'd rather have clones of me than be someone else's clone... :o

http://www.coghlinandupton.com/

Conceptual Simplicity, Structural Complexity, Achieves a Greater State of humanity.

Has anybody had any luck on finding some cool buckles. I've tried the net but it was mostly SCA buckles. A few interesting ones, but nothing worth noting for GAoP. Isn't their someone out there casting large buckles that could pass for GAoP, even as a long shot?

Conceptual Simplicity, Structural Complexity, Achieves a Greater State of humanity.

I have been hesitant to reply to this thread, as I think the original poster may be looking for something other than what I might suggest..

And that might draw the ire of some folks at the pub :rolleyes:

So, the thread topic says "Belt Buckle", but the content is about Baldric Buckles...

If the intent is a cool "piratey" buckle, that, of course, would be open to interpretation... here are some buckles...

http://www.buttonflower.com/index_032.htm

or

http://tinyurl.com/2ebunp

GAoP era belt buckles are a horse of a different color. They seem to be smaller... probably 3/4"-1 1/2" with 1" being a good size. Often, the "wings" of the buckle are angled to give the profile a sort of a slight "V" shape.

I am updating my buckle and button page, and here is a preview of some of the content.

bba-gunn.jpg

This is a GAoP era belt with buckle. The leather is 0,8 inches wide and the buckle looks to be about 1".

Now the trick is finding something like that....

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

The fancy buckles are a toughy to come by.

I've seen a couple of real belts at the local WalMart I've been tempted to purchase just because of the buckle. Cut off the buckle and put on a different leather belt. But, haven't. Yet.

I'm checking on a gent down in Florida if he's willing to do commissions for buckles. He's made some AWESOME buttons and buckles for a lass. I know I was highly impressed with his work.

I don't know, Pogue... I generally search all over for ANYTHING that could possibly be deemed as 18th c or piratical.

But, will always keep m' eyes open for whatever might be online.

Check out the local stores and thrift shops. Never know what you might find. :huh:

~Lady B

:lol:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

GoF,

Thanks for the site, those are along the lines of what I'm looking for. I figure when it comes to baldrics and some belts, it's ok to go big and fun.

My Lady,

I agree. I've been keeping an eye out at clothing stores. I fell funny hanging around the belt section in the women's department... Men just don't have big fashion belts.

My wife keep talking about how somebody could probably make some money by casting belt buckles of various size that look 17th-18th century.

I'm keeping a weathered eye out. I would appreciate it if you let me know if anything comes to your attention.

Thanks all for your help.

GoF--

I'll have to do some looking about, but that buckle you posted looks quite a bit like some I've seen in saddle and tack stores.

If I'm remembering correctly, the buckle I'm thinking of was somewhat bigger, maybe two-and-a-half or three inches. Would that still be a reasonable size to be correct, if it is a similar construction...?

If I can find it again, I'll post pics.

I've used salvaged tack buckles and the like now and then, even if they may not be completely correct, they sometimes make striking pieces...

sig2.jpg

ZWN

The larger ones, 2-3 inches, are great for a baldric buckle. They can even have "squared" edges....

But for waistbelts, its better to go with the thinner style... say 1" or so.

The other tricky wicket is that, its hard to find pictures of "belts" in the period. When we see them, they are usually sword belts, with the leather frog for the sword, so not a true waist belt.

Since there are no belt loops on trousers/breeches at this time, its difficult to imagine that folks are wearing belts under coats and over pants to keep them up...

The buckle pictured is part of the clothing and equipment from the late 17th century Gunnister find. The belt and buckle were found over the outer most layer of clothing, suggesting they were worn on top, more for holding equipment then holding pants up....

The sword belt and buckles seem to be similar as far as size and shape... some seem fairly narrow, the wider ones maybe 1.5" inches. There are of course, exceptions.

I will post what I have on my belt/button page, and give you a heads up when its ready.

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!