Christmas at sea

Capt. Flint

Merry Christmas to all my fellow sea dogs out there. May the frosty winter sea be kind to all of ye. May the season be filled with joy and may the new year bring better fortune for all of us.

Does anyone have any references on how the holiday was spent while on board ship. I know that various regular navies recognized the day and would make special allowances for it. But, I have extremely little info. on anything about that or about merchant ships or pirates as well. If any of ye has some knowledge to share, the old capt would appreciate it...........Merry Christmas and Happy New Year........... Capt. Flint

:ph34r:

While I am not sure, I believe that the regular merchant ships observe the holiday, providing that their country observes the holiday cheer.

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

• 2 weeks later...

Very good question! Didn't the Royal Navy have religious services on Sundays and other Christian holy days?

I reckon in general, that Christmas was probably observed afloat much as ashore, with less working, and more feasting, and extra grog; but I doubt that there was any specific nautical observance, such as, say, the Crossing the Equator ceremony. But, I'm just guessing; anyone know fer sure?

:D

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"