Original "Barbossa's Sword"

Deacon Frye

(I posted this to an old thread in the "Pop" forum where Red Maria had asked about Barbossa's sword, but felt it might be of interest here as well.)

Here's an original of the type upon which Barbossa's sword is based, for sale at LionGate Arms & Armour:

fhcs3-1.jpg.

More pics and description at the link.

(Disclaimer: I have no connection with, nor have done business with, LionGate--though I know people who have, and they had only good things to say.)

:) Good to see that there are places selling this type of sword.

It's now finding out which ones are a better deal, good price & battle worthy IF you intend to use it in a swordfight.

Thank you so much for this information. I know 1 person who has a fantastic Barbossa costume that was recently made. As well as 2 other people wanting to do a Barbossa costume as well.

The boots are available... now the sword... the final is the pistol & the ring.

Huzzah!

:ph34r:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

• 2 weeks later...

Aye, LadyBarbossa. We have found the blade from Luke who posted to my site. I sent him some hilt photos of the prop movie sword and they are a mach. The sword only costed $100 :lol: I think the only thing would be to change out the spring steel blade to a more fight worthy one.

The real blade above I have seen before but $1800 is a bit much for right now. I am still hunting down real flintlocks that mach. I know the kind that Barbossa and Jack have. Barbossa's I have found ones that would work well as finging a 100% maching one would be next to never as most flintlocks styles vary with the taste if the buyer when they were made. Jack's wll be easyer as it was a common English Flintlock, in fact I have found some but their pricy!

Most of been Terrible for you Jack , It bloody well is now! - Capt'n Jack Sparrow

::nearly jumps out of own skin:: :huh: Mother's love! JACK! :huh: Tis bad luck to be scarin' a lass like that. :huh:

Check out the other thread about the pistol. I still have yet to hear from Dixie Gunworks about the pistol. But Billy Bones is rather gracious enough to be searchin' the prop houses in Feb for the model or the sort that is Barbossa's pistol.

Track of the Wolf, Inc only told me what model they thought that the pistol may be of. But.. as to the elaborate decor on the pistol... still left me in the dark. They only had parts & you would have to assemble it. Not good in my book. :huh:

There is a good number of assistance here ... check out the other thread as well about the Barbossa sword... there are other places to get one. As to prices... :: Shrugs:: your guess is as good as mine.

As to the Barbossa ring... I have a few pix of it. I sent them to a person out east who may be able to assist in having them made. Keeping my fingers crossed. :)

Tis good to see ya here, Jack! B) All we need is Barbossa & we have ourselves more than a party! B):huh: Though... we would have to refrain him from burning the pub... this is one place that we need to keep standin' B)

Huzzah!

B)

::nearly jumps out of own skin:: :huh: Mother's love! JACK! :huh: Tis bad luck to be scarin' a lass like that. :huh:

Aye it be me :huh: Sorry fur making ya jump. You talked about this pub on me own port fig I would try the ale here :huh:

I have told Barbossa of this here pub, his a bisy man so dont be knowing when this place would see the likes of him.

Most of been Terrible for you Jack , It bloody well is now! - Capt'n Jack Sparrow

aye, what ya be lookin at here in these pics Is a French Heavy Cavalry saber. And it is 36 - 38" long, historicly. Cavalry sabers are suspended from "sword belts" for thier length. Don't wanta be gragging it on the ground.Barbossa is wearing a Baldric that rides rather low on the hip, Check yer DVDs ya swabs. I have found out that the Barbossa sword is a "cutlass length" piece around 26-30". I have discovered that this too may be historic as the French Light Heavy is the same sword but with a 30" blade. I have located through all the people I have done and do business with over the years that to date only 1 manufacturer is producing the "light heavy" and I am working with the supplier through a friend of mine to get hold of these. Anyone interested, speak up and I'll see what I can do.

Jack

aye, what ya be lookin at here in these pics Is a French Heavy Cavalry saber. And it is 36 - 38" long, historicly. Cavalry sabers are suspended from "sword belts" for thier length. Don't wanta be gragging it on the ground.Barbossa is wearing a Baldric that rides rather low on the hip, Check yer DVDs ya swabs. I have found out that the Barbossa sword is a "cutlass length" piece around 26-30". I have discovered that this too may be historic as the French Light Heavy is the same sword but with a 30" blade. I have located through all the people I have done and do business with over the years that to date only 1 manufacturer is producing the "light heavy" and I am working with the supplier through a friend of mine to get hold of these. Anyone interested, speak up and I'll see what I can do.

Jack

I'd be interested to know who the manufacturer is.

How many Jack Sparrows are there around here?

Hmm... Wonder if I can get away with using that type of sword now in the Rev War unit I am with. :: evil grinz::

As to Jack.. Not sure. ::pats the previous Jack on back::: But this one be a rather fun gent to be sure. :) It's Barbossa you have to watch out for. Because you can never predict when he will come in here ... & start burin' the place. :ph34r: But... to keep him at bay... keep the drinks a comin' & the ladies in waiting.. & he may be satisfied.. for the moment.

Many a Jack Sparrow... a couple Barbossa's.. I think. But.. heck.. there can only be ONE... Anastazia Blackheart! :ph34r: Cheers! :ph34r:

Huzzah!

:ph34r:

How dare you impune me honor bo....err,umm........pardon me my barbossa is showing. Please take this in all courtesy, as I make part my living locating and selling hard to find items like this and high quality movie prop replicas, etc., I also hold current accounts with most of the bigger replica/weapon makers, it is to say slitin me own throat to just tell people were to get the things I sell. I'm sure you can see if buy things from a distibutor the distributor isn't going to tell me the retailer where he gets his stuff because, guess what, you don't need the distributor then do you. To digress out of business mode for a moment I try do deal as close to the manufacturers as I can sometimes you can, sometimes you can't I'm waiting on more info into minimums as they have to be imported, if people are interested here in these items and can meet minimums then I have no problem passing them on to you for cost + shipping from me as is. I will be dealing them as an item in thier "Barbossa condition" (weathered and patina) these I must sell at full price. Can't help that. Please take this diatribe as it is intended and that I'm not being a hardass about it. Hope you all understand

Jack

"......and really bad eggs......Yo Ho"

• 5 weeks later...

Ahoy there,

That sword I doubt to be the basis for the barbossa sword. There are plenty of examples of shell guard cutlasses, circa 1660-1760 that are much more likely candidates, and clearly as you look at the video, the sword in question has a 'falchion' blade, and is not a double edged broadsword for use by heavy cavaly. Most shell guard cutlassses have an iron hilt.

Most original cutlasses ranged from 24"-28" in the blade, with a rare few having as little as 18". See Gilkersons "Boarders Away - with Steel" Vol I for sea-service edged weapons in particular, or Newmanns "Swords of the American Revolution" for a number of land and sea-service swords.

Bob, I've reviewed relevant portions of the film (the battle between the Pearl and the Interceptor, and the scenes in the pirate cavern). Barbossa does in fact, appear to be wearing a sword of the style shown in the examples above.

He also uses one in the fight with Jack.

Here are two copies of the sword made for the character by Tony Swatton, from his Sword and Stone site. The first is listed as "Barbossa Sword", the second "Captain's Sword":

barbossasword.jpg

captains_sword.jpg

The descriptions:

Barbossa Sword 

Description: .Steel hilt with leather grip made for Geoffrey Rushfor “Pirates of the Caribbean” movie

Construction: Forged Steel,

Length: 26 inch blade

Price: SOLD to production company

_____

Captain's Sword 

Description: .Bronze hilt with leather grip made for Geoffrey Rush for “Pirates of the Caribbean” movie

Construction: Forged Steel,

Length: 36 inch overall, 29 inch blade

Although they are listed on the site under the "Double-Edged" category, they appear to me to be backswords, not broadswords.

I would guess that Swatton made at least one other copy of the sword with a high-grade aluminum blade for actual fighting, as that is his specialty.

I don't know why they chose this sword, but the skeletonized scallop shell may have appealed to them.

Get it, mate, skeletonized? :D

Sorry.

There's no question that the use of this sword is an anachronism, but it is a very small anachronism that only a very small percentage of the audience would be capable of discerning.

And after all, we are talking about a movie that features undead, skeleton pirates!

I don't recall seeing rush using a cutlass, falchion-bladed or not, but I haven't reviewed the entire movie to look for it, either.

Interestingly, Swatton did make a "Rush Cutlass" for the film:

rush_cutlass.jpg

Rush Cutlass 

Description: .Hmmered hilt with Stag grip made for Geoffrey Rush used in the “Pirates of the Caribbean” movie

Construction: Aluminum Blade

Length: 30 inch overall, 25 inch blade

Ahoy Deacon Fry,

Take a good look at the Deepeka blade, it's form and length, and then the cast sword. In the end, we both are right - the hilt is undeniably a French sword of the 'horse', but it has been put upon a short spadroon or cutlass blade - it is a bastardised thing. Those getting the sword (it being not a blade for combat) could accurately recreate it by taking the hilt of the Deepeka cavalry broadsword, and getting a infantry hanger (1742 British would give a most similar patterned blade, and of the correct length - you can get them for between $50-$75) from a similar source, and mating the two. Deepeka could likely even do this for much less than buying two swords, should an inquerry be made. They could bill it as 'Carribean pirate cutlass' or some such, and sell them hand over fist.

That is much to great a length of sword to consider walking a deck in.

There are actually two Depeeka models, as Capt Sparrow pointed out earlier.

The 1742, I believe, has a curved blade. The folks here are looking for a replica of the one in the movie.

I would be interested to know where you can pick up a decent hanger blade of this sort for $50-$75.