Me garb! Finally finished!

Black Mab

Huzzah! After hours of toiling and working my fingers to the bone, I have finished my first effort at "pirate garb" . . .

Finished_Pirate_Costume.jpg

I think about halfway through the gathering of materials I decided I wanted to attempt something halfway "period" (what period that is, I'm still not quite sure but we're gonna go with 'mid 1700s'). Therefore, from bottom to top:

Shoes: Started life as a pair of faux suede hiking boots. Found the idea somewhere on this forum, actually.

Stockings: are plain old white cotton/lycra knee socks from Target. Next time I get some money, wool stockings are on the list.

"Slops" are not quite slops and not quite breeches. The top (which you, of course, can't see) features a wide waistband that buttons in the front and laces up the back as well as a front flap. The legs were meant to be fitted but for comfort's sake I went with loose. The fabric is some kind of cotton blend. I'm sorry.

Waistcoat: Reversible. Inside is same fabric as the slops, outside is heavyweight 100% linen, back is muslin and features a lace-up back (to make it slightly more fitted)

Shirt: Linen blend. Collar's a little too small (stupid pattern) and I know the lace up front isn't right but it was a men's pattern and I am a GURRRL, thus, the necessity of laces. Teehee.

Accessories: Fabric waist-wrap 100% silk scarf from Italy, some cheap old belt thing, craptastic fake plastic blunderbuss (now replaced with a nice replica dagger/pistol combo), hand-stitched leather pouch, metal army surplus canteen . . . I think that's about it.

So that's that. I'd love any feedback from those of you who've got more experience doing the costuming thing.

Also, does anyone have any ideas for some kind of cloak? I don't think I have the energy to attempt a coat just yet . . .

Slan!

Avast, ye scurvy dog!

A Goode First Effort for someone new to costuming!

Attending a few details can bring you closer to PC, or "as is" for a more casual pirate impression ~ it really depends on what you are more comfortable with. I like the fabrics chosen ~ quite attractive colors! And don't be sorry about the fabric content ~ everyone has to start somewhere ~ I know I did!

Well done!

-_-

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

For attempting something halfway period, I think you did a brilliant job your first time costuming pirate clothing. You should be very proud or your accomplishment.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Mab.. forget the beginner and the halfway. Mate... it's fantastic!

Far better than some halfway stuff I see out there at least like the fishnet tights with the big boots and piratey stuff all from Hot Topics or other stores around that is FAR from pirate but more modern pirate pop culture. I tell ye what, of all the outfits I saw for PotC AWE... your's tops all I saw. And that's better than the 2 fairly decent outfits I saw.

Yo'rs is snapping fantastic!

Great job, Mab! :huh::huh: Honestly, I'd keep that one for a while. I like the look and flow of it!

You SO pass as a pirate!

~Lady B

:huh:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Not bad. Could use a bit more color, maybe in the stockings or in a neckerchief (but then again I'm big on colorful stockings & neckerchiefs :huh: ) If you can't afford wool stockings yet, look for cotton ones. Not perfect but much more comfortable if you're wearing this in the hot summer & cheaper too.

For the shirt what you can do is either modify the pattern to have a smaller opening or slip stitch the opening closed to a comfortable point. Low enough to still put it on and high enough not to show too much. Unless they are up super close no one will notice the opening has been sewn shut. Viola, no more need for lacing.

I also might not have used the ruffle on the sleeve but that's a personal preference really. I find that I like to push my sleeves up when I'm "doing stuff" (cannon crew, cooking, working the fire etc) and ruffles make that harder and tend to get in the way.

The collar doesn't look too small. It actually looks a little big but that could just be the way it's laid open in the photo.

The shoes look great. I love seeing more people doing modified lachet shoes.

Cloaks are easy. Functional ones only reach to about your wrists when you're standing still. They are just a half circle with a closed casing for the neck (ie narrow pocket with closed ends) and a tie or two. You can line it if you want but when made out of an old wool army blanket, they don't really need it. Plus they make great extra blankets on a cold night.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Thank you to everyone! Your kind compliments, comments, and ideas truly made my evening!

I had so much fun researching and creating this costume - I am so excited that it turned out well and I cannot wait to wear it.

Regarding color - I tend to dress towards the drab end of the spectrum but I will probably spruce it up a bit as I go along. I figure the accumulation of accessories and garnishes happens kind of naturally.

Regarding those ruffled cuffs - now I know why Jack does that crazy thing with his hands in the movies! Those cuffs are SO. ANNOYING.!!!1! Luckily, I made them with fasteners at the wrists (really hard to see detail in all the white) so they can be opened and rolled up at will. I suspect I will wear them like that a lot.

Also thanks for the pointer on the cloak. I'd contemplated an old army blanket (yay, surplus stores!) but wasn't sure if anyone does stuff like that?

Thanks again! I'll post more pictures as I wear it about . . . maybe Disneyland tomorrow, eh?

Avast, ye scurvy dog!

To add some color.... just add a neck cloth, and red socks.....hey... th' chick dig scars and red socks.....

OK... never mind the coment bout "chicks" digging scars.... but red or blue sock do add some color....

I don't think I have the energy to attempt a coat just yet . . .

Hey... you already made a waistcoat..... a coat isn't much different... just use a wool blanket, add sleaves..... it's almost like sewing the same thing..... :huh:

Well done lass! I have been doing this for a while and have yet to make a waistcoat ...perhaps I should do that for PiP.

As to the stockings ...go wool, they are cooler even in the summer! They breath better. I hasve learned my lesson.

The ruffel, you got me to thinking. When I was costuming I had fashioned a ruffel's so that they could be used or not. they were not attached to the shirt. They were buttoned on and then the cuff of the shirt buttoned over them. Then you can use them for dress and not use them at other times. Thanks for the reminder.

To add some color.... just add a neck cloth, and red socks.....hey... th' chick dig scars and red socks.....

OK... never mind the coment bout "chicks" digging scars.... but red or blue sock do add some color....

I don't think I have the energy to attempt a coat just yet . . .

Hey... you already made a waistcoat..... a coat isn't much different... just use a wool blanket, add sleaves..... it's almost like sewing the same thing..... :huh:

Oi I have red Stockings and a scar...that must explain why they all end up sleeping in my tent!!! snigger!!

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

The ruffel, you got me to thinking. When I was costuming I had fashioned a ruffel's so that they could be used or not. they were not attached to the shirt. They were buttoned on and then the cuff of the shirt buttoned over them. Then you can use them for dress and not use them at other times. Thanks for the reminder.

As to the stockings ...go wool, they are cooler even in the summer!  They breath better.  I hasve learned my lesson.

Whole heartedly agree here... Wool beats cotton every time. Even wool or linen clothing beats modern day cotton for comfort, cooling and wear ability... and wool stockings are usually thicker and are a lot more comfortable on yer feet because they provide a bit more cushion when trudging around at an all day event...

As to the ruffled shirt cuff... easy... either roll up yer sleeves like you do already or take the ruffle and tuck it into your buttoned/fastened cuff when you need to get it out of the way... works every time!

See Patrick the things we fancy dans know... :huh::huh:

Crewe of the Archangel

Well done lass! I have been doing this for a while and have yet to make a waistcoat ...perhaps I should do that for PiP.

You should definitely make one. From what I've read, wearing a waistcoat (or not) was sort of the equivalent of going outside dressed versus undressed. Plus it is very comfortable and makes it so I don't even have to bother to wear a bra under my shirt (yikes!)

Even though I made it to be reversible, it was still the easiest part! Okay, granted, sewing on 26 buttons took a hell of a long time . . . another reason I'm not rushing right into a coat

I did have to tear out the back lacing . . . things . . . a few times and I'll probably redo them one more time because they're not quite creating the "fitted" look I was going for. They need to be right in line with the shoulders, and mine are a bit too close together on the spine.

Yeah, that doesn't even make sense unless you can see what I'm talking about. Which you can't. Will post a picture later.

Avast, ye scurvy dog!

Very sharp!! :huh:

I actually came across some of my 1st attempts.... maybe I'll post them for laughs later....

But you on the other hand, have really done a very nice job!!

As for the jacket.. my new short coat and long coat are both from an old military blanket... or two!

Take a break and have fun enjoying your outfit!!

See??? It feels good, dosn't it!!! :huh:

Here's to you! :huh: Well done!

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

As to the stockings ...go wool, they are cooler even in the summer! They breath better. I hasve learned my lesson.

that's interesting Silkie. I have NOT been able to wear my wool stockings all summer. I swear the minute I take them off, or even just push them down I cool off about 5*. I have been tons more comfortable in light weight cotton stockings & even survived last weekends 90% humidity without taking them off (never mind that I was sitting in the shade playing mandolin all weekend :rolleyes: ). YMMV I guess.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

But one of the advantages of a waistcoat.... POCKETS...... ;)

Aww, I KNEW I forgot something! ;)

Okay, I wasn't quite ready to attempt pockets but the waistcoat was so easy, I think I could go back and add them whenever I feel up to it.

Avast, ye scurvy dog!

I did a Post in Twill on how I made a 1706 Slops contract jacket

https://pyracy.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6552

But it shows a fairly simple way to put in pockets..... unfortunatly, they are put in befor the body is sewn together........

Many thanks!

Luckily, I am a master at tearing out and replacing seams. I got plenty of practice.

Avast, ye scurvy dog!