striped socks?

blackbonie

ok,im dying to know the deal on striped socks.im talking about the knee socks with the contrasting horizontal stripes.everyone at the ren faires seems to wear them,but i find it hard to believe they are even close to period correct. if not, why does everyone wear them?

and if they are, why did they wear striped socks back then? seems wierd.

I think the general consensus of opinion on this is that striped socks were certainly possible during the GAoP technology wise, but there doesn't appear to be any evidence of their actual existence until some decades later.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

hm why do folk wear them.......not sure sex appeal, just for fun, lack of good correct stockings. If it is ren fare or under lasse's skirt why does it matter?. Just me humble twa bits worth.

Salty

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

it just seems wierd to me that my outfit can be put down because of little things like fabric blend or trim,etc,but everyone runs around with those socks and its perfectly acceptable,even when the skirts do not cover them.i truely just dont get the whole thing.

Easy enough.... every one enters the hobby at different levels... so different parts of their kit are great and other parts they are still working on, and honestly, some folks either are ignorant or just plain, don't care. It all depends on how you and the group you belong to, feels about their standards for taking the field.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I have several pair of striped socks that I usually wear for French and Indian War re-enactments. I also occasionally wear them at Pennsic as well.

I enjoy them cause they can add a bit of color to your outfit with out being too ostentaious.

And they did wear the striped sock during the F & I period. Many of the re-enactors wear them. And you must be period correct when you are portraying a person from a specific time line whether it be for F & I, American Rev. or even the American Civil War, just to name only a few.

As for wearing them for the GAOP era, I am not sure. But it is somethng that I will look in to now that you posed the question.

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.

i just want to clarify,im not putting down wearing them,im all for the fun aspect of it. im just really hoping that the people who wear them in elizabethan garb and such are not the ones making fun of me because my frock coat is a cotton/poly blend and not pure linen.lol

aye...Bonnie, when you are just startin' out to put a kit together...you go with what you have and can afford. I wouldn't worry so much over your frock coat being a cotton/poly blend.

As for the socks...this year at pennsic I wanted to get some ghastly colors but the gentleman selling them suggested more muted tones for the re-enactments we do. I should have bought the red and green striped and the orange and black striped...damn....well maybe next year. :lol:

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.

aye...Bonnie, when you are just startin' out to put a kit together...you go with what you have and can afford. I wouldn't worry so much over your frock coat being a cotton/poly blend.

As for the socks...this year at pennsic I wanted to get some ghastly colors but the gentleman selling them suggested more muted tones for the re-enactments we do. I should have bought the red and green striped and the orange and black striped...damn....well maybe next year. :blink:

thanks for the kind words.im not just starting out really,been costuming for years,im just completely happy with the fantasy-style garb. my main passion is actual fantasy like LOTR and D&D type stuff.