Carry-on luggage rules

Hester

Now to be fair I can't knock ALL screeners..there are some who go the extra distance..but aye, I have experiencd the same..they are quite interested in your belongings BEFORE the xray machine..then if someone gets stuck on the way through you anxiously look at your stuff in the bin on "the other side" just sitting there yelling "take one"!

However,

I have also seen many things get discovered and confiscated. You'd be surprised what people try to bring..and those are just the idiots who don't know any better.

I've seen brass knuckles, handcuffs, flamables and other stuff I probably shouldn't mention. But they were caught. :ph34r:

So as annoying and dumb as it seems..sigh..we are stuck with it if we want to travel. Most people are willing to sacrifice however the level of service wants for improvement

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

I always thought it weird how you can't have a water bottle or any kind of liquid for that matter more than 3 oz when going thru security.  But, once you go thru security you can go to any of the little gift shops and buy water, soda, mouth wash, all kinds of stuff you couldn't have on you before security.  I've walked on to the plane holding a soda bottle and had no problem, but of course I couldn't have done that if I bought the soda before security.  They would have made me trash it.  What's the point in all that if you can just buy that stuff after security?  :rolleyes:

I think it's because they don't want you bringing some liquid or another that could be used to make an explosive device. The stuff available after the security checkpoint is presumably ok. Not knowing a whole lot about explosives, I can't even guess what they suspect you might be bringing in that they couldn't find by smelling it, but, then again, maybe they don't want to add smelling every container to the list of things the security folk do. So it's easier to just create a blanket law that says "Nothing larger than this!" It's lazy, but it's easier for the government. (Which appears to be one of the tenets of "restrictive" laws according to the ever increasing and encroaching, near brainless Byzantine government protocol.)

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Well I believe they base some of it on whatever the last threat was. I also agree its a blanket shortcut. But the last explosive threat was liquid. I think they learn a lot more about what materials and in what forms are being currently used, sought or contemplated in such actions as well as the new ways they can be concealed.

Considering the numer of travellers in any given day, (our teminal is 1 in several in one airport and handles 5 million a year) you have to do some short cutting or no one would get anywhere. Now we need to consider fixing the problem on another level. Or several levels.

Personally, I would have wielded a much bigger stick and a lot earlier. But thats my opinion alone - By the way before we get into a hot debate I'm entitled to have that opinion. Whomever disagrees is equally entitled. (lol this has ben a PUBlic service disclaimer lol)

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...