Carry-on luggage rules

Hester

Thanks, Gigi!

I'm working my way through my airline's website guidelines on carry-on luggage right now:

http://www.channelgroup.org/wjpassengers/m...main_search.htm

No mention of dental floss, so I guess I'm safe.

No mention of piano wire either, though. (That must have been an oversight.) But, they do state that pinatas are banned.

Oddly, cologne is okay, but "perfume containing alchohol" is not (even in checked luggage). Um... last I checked, cologne has a pretty high concentration of alcohol. Not sure what the rational is there. Not sure where "body mist" fits in. So, I packed perfume oil instead.

Other prohibited stuff:

Bear spray

Billy clubs

Blasting Caps

Bows and Arrows

Catapults

Cattle Prods

Chainsaws

Christmas Crackers are not allowed, even in checked baggage, but shotguns and ammunition are allowed in checked baggage with approval. Go figure!

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

To quote TSA:

When carrying formula, breast milk, or juice through the checkpoint, they will be inspected, however, you or your baby or toddler will not be asked to test or taste breast milk, formula, or juice. Our Security Officers may test liquid exemptions (exempt items more than 3 ounces) for explosives.

I guess travelling nursing Moms bigger than a D Cup had best be prepared to be inspected and tested!

:ph34r:

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

To be quite honest, I would pack EVERYTHING. You are allowed 4 oz of liquid which includes gels and pastes that are considered liquid now. (Lipstick, makeup, hair gel, etc) It all has to fit in a quart baggie. Unless you're on a 7 plus hour flight..I'd bring a toothbrush with a tiny bit of toothpaste in plastic wrap, some asperin, gum or candy, and ladies.. maybe a lipstick. It's frustrating as hell, but I have learned to pack all my liquids. Smaller versions in sample sizes double wrapped in zip locks and in the checked baggage. If you have an item of clothes you are really attached to, don't pack the two together in case they explode.

TIP: squeeze as much air out of everything as possible. It's the air that expands and causes bottles and tubes to leak or rupture. If you have the option of shipping your stuff ahead of you, it allows you a nice easy, no schlepping trip. I've actually done this for conventions for years prior to 9-11. Shoes too. Why lug all that? Just use FedEx. I don't trust the others.

There are no exceptions. Daily the TSA fills huge bins with all the "extra" liquor, shampoo, juice, formula, lotion, perfume etc. much of it brand new sealed in the package. There are no exceptions.

A word of caution..yeah travelling can frazzle the nerves..or maybe you're a nervous traveller. Or maybe the agent of some sort is a jerk..or has had just about as much as they can take from the public for one day and it shows..No matter how obvious it may seem...do not joke or discuss the no-no words on line, especially at the checkpoint or in Customs. These include, bomb, explode, explosive, jihad, terrorist, blow up, fire, guns, firearms, crash, and any other such word. I have seen people yanked off line, denied flight on the airline ever agin and blacklisted on the spot. This will also land you on one, if not more undesirable lists. If another passenger overhears you and expresses concern, or an agent decides to take advantage of what you said while you were grumbling. They have every right under the law to assume you meant it or you're a threat even if it seems absurd. At the least the cops will come to tell you you're only trip will be home.

Make sure you declare any medication or formula right away as there are specific allowances for necessary liquids.

When you're at the screening checkpoint please do yourself and everyone else a favor. Take off the shoes/boots, jewlry, headgear, jacket, belt etc ahead of time. Stow/shut off your electronics.. and your laptop has to be out separately. The clothing rules are unisex. If you have this and your boarding pass in hand by the time you reach the machine, the trip through security will be much faster for everyone.

Most of all..travel with an open mind. If you relax and just go with it..it won't be so bad. If you make someone laugh along the way whether its a passenger or a worker..you'll be surprised at how much they appreciate it.

Happy flying

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Awww! How "connected" I just was reminded the other day of a guy I had a on and off (mostly off) thing with years ago. He once told me I always smelled lightly of Cinnamon...that was just the neatest thing. Yeah..I could be someone's Cinnamon girl..

Want a nervous hint? Guilt yourself out if it. Look at the little kids who are content and playing in the very same place you are nervous. Heh they can make you feel calmer. Play a game with yourself..try to sneak a look at the flight attendant when they don't know you're looking. Thus to avoid the instant plastered smile they practice so well. LOL sometimes its fun just to make them keep smiling at you. I remember seeing one balance soup and coffee on her lap reading a mag un seatbelted when the ride was pretty rough. I stopped worrying.

When I fly to PiP, I go in Garb...

So going through the security check is always a fun experience :lol:

I unbotton my jacked and waistcoat, with all those metal buttons they are going through the scanner with my shoes and carry on... I also open my spyglass, and put it on top.... it must show up as something different on the scanners, and I want to make it easier for them to identify what it is....

I'm also on one of thier "list".... so I have to go through the chemical sniffer, and all of my carry-on gets searched... I have no problem with that.... I just wish they would keep my carry-on "secure" as I'm going through the sniffer, but before they inspect it...... I'm in one line to get checked, and all my stuff is "way over there", with no one watching it..... well untill I go to get it, then they want to search it..... Like I said, I can deal with the extra hastle because of security, and I plan ahead and allow extra time for it.....

The shrunken head was fun tho..... bet it gave security something to talk about durring break... :o

Shrunken head - heh.

My luggage was opened and inspected once because the security folks saw some mighty suspicious objects in it.... Smarties.

(For those of you who are not from Canada or the UK, Smarties are just like M&M's - except the Canadian version has better chocolate.)

RHJMap.jpg

Hmmm JILL..odd. Smarties here are little sour hard candies that caue you to make the grape juice face :lol:

hehe but they're so good...

Patrick lol...I am guessing how you wound up on "the list" lol...

Ransom?...

Those little sour candies are also from Canada, but unlike chocolate Smarties, you can get them in the U.S.

The U.K. Smarties are a bit different. The chocolate isn't quite as good as the Canadian version but the candy coatings actually have different flavours.

The same Smarties security problem happened to my aunt as well. We both thought it was pretty amusing.

RHJMap.jpg

Heh..oops..lack of sleep

They set off security? *Jenny's sense of mischief is piqued* I think I'll have to get some on the way to work tonight..heh

If in doubt throw it in the hold bags. I am still amazed I can carry a sword in hold baggage and don't even have to declare it.

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

Dental floss should be fine.

I just flew out to New York last week. I am quite annoyed by the fact the stupid airlines open the checked luggage, open bottles and then don't tighten them back up again. My conditoner spilled out on the inside of my luggage, my toothpaste as well. It's pointless to complain tho, they'll just tell me to place them in plastic bags instead, but that's still beside the point. I don't like the idea of how they don't flippin' tighten the bottles back up. It still will spill out in the plastic bag, wasting my stuff! They don't care if I have to go buy more stuff because they wasted my stuff all over my bag, the schmucks! :lol:

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

Last year when I flew out to Miami enroute to PiP, I tied by Seabag (in checked baggage) with a Thief's knot.... I figured I be able to see it it was inspected at a glance instead of opening it and finding the little card inside....

I didn't have to bother with the Thief's knot.... whoever checked the Seabag, couldn't even tie a squaire/reef knot.... they tied it with a poorly tied Granny knot :huh:

Luckly, the poorly tied Granny Know held, or they could have spilled a bunch of my stuff outta the bag.....

When I went to Canada a few years back I brought a really great knife for my pen pal, even though I had it packed in my regular luggage. When on the plane before landing there all passengers are given a piece of paper to fill out and one of the things mentioned are if there are any weapons in your luggage. Well being the honest person I am, I answered yes. When the plane landed and I got my luggage I was sent to a special area to have my luggage checked and explain to them the knife was a gift for my Wiccan friend and I was sent on my way with no further problems.

...do not joke or discuss the no-no words on line, especially at the checkpoint or in Customs. These include, bomb, explode, explosive, jihad, terrorist, blow up, fire, guns, firearms, crash, and any other such word. I have seen people yanked off line, denied flight on the airline ever agin and blacklisted on the spot. This will also land you on one, if not more undesirable lists. If another passenger overhears you and expresses concern, or an agent decides to take advantage of what you said while you were grumbling. They have every right under the law to assume you meant it or you're a threat even if it seems absurd. At the least the cops will come to tell you you're only trip will be home.

Nice to know we're so safe and having our rights protected here in Amerika.

...Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum...

~ Vegetius

Speaking of Bean...

:lol:

(We were speaking of him in the movie quote thread which appears to have once again died...)

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

I only recently started to fly so I had to learn from scratch.

I wanted to have my Tim Horton's coffee in California, so I brought the single pot packs in my carry on. Not knowing how to pack properly, I just tossed the packs into the carry on.

I had to unzip the carry on before it went through the machine and it had tipped over, spilling out all the single packs of Tim Horton's coffee. So I reached over to gather them up, and I was yelled at by security. I wasn't suppose to go near the convenyor and I didn't know. So there are my coffee packs going down the convenyor belt, one after another! LOL

I am sure they were glad to get rid of me at that point.

Oh, dental floss isn't considered a weapon but it makes a great slicer for cheese. Especially Velveeta!

kttcsignature.jpg

I always thought it weird how you can't have a water bottle or any kind of liquid for that matter more than 3 oz when going thru security. But, once you go thru security you can go to any of the little gift shops and buy water, soda, mouth wash, all kinds of stuff you couldn't have on you before security. I've walked on to the plane holding a soda bottle and had no problem, but of course I couldn't have done that if I bought the soda before security. They would have made me trash it. What's the point in all that if you can just buy that stuff after security? :lol:

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

They will make you down your liquid and toss the container before security. Heh I see people chugging everyday.

The other morning a plane (not sayin who) was having the lav system pumped full of clean "blue juice" before the flight. This is the stuff that flushes. It looks like windex. Well they kept pumping..and pumping..suddenly there was a puddle on the ground. It's a smaller jet and apparently there was a leak. Filled the belly (you guessed it - there's yer luggage) and they had to clean up the mess before they could fix the leak. Again...value it? carry it or don't pack it. I can imagine the soapy mess....ew. At 5:15 am no less. :lol:

Carry it or lose it.... I used to travel for competition and carried on everything I needed for horse shows... I can't tell you how many folks missed the competitions because they arrived and their gear went to Hawaii and none was returned until after the event. I have flown to many a Wild West event in pc clothing with a few spare needs in a carry on and have always managed... now GAoP... the damn hat alone is going to be a problem... :lol: I also agree with Jenny... IF YOU CAN, ship your stuff ahead of time.

Also, Dad travels to hunt a lot... I know the NRA used to be willing to tell you what carriers are weapon friendly and those who are not and will happily trash or lose your stuff because THEY think YOU shouldn't own such things. For those of you concerned, you may wish to give them a call and see who they recommend for flying/shipping your favorite blunderbuss or the sword you really can't afford to replace at the moment.....

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Last year when I flew out to Miami enroute to PiP, I tied by Seabag (in checked baggage) with a Thief's knot.... I figured I be able to see it it was inspected at a glance instead of opening it and finding the little card inside....

I didn't have to bother with the Thief's knot.... whoever checked the Seabag, couldn't even tie a squaire/reef knot.... they tied it with a poorly tied Granny knot :lol:

Luckly, the poorly tied Granny Know held, or they could have spilled a bunch of my stuff outta the bag.....

Hey Patrick, be glad they didn't CUT the bag open to see what was inside...

We arrived in England for a Rev. War event. (back in the 80s) One of our dragoon's luggage had been broken into and everything was laying out on the baggage collection area for ANYONE TO walk away with... when we inquired as to why, one agent was happy to tell us, knowing who we were, some of the chaps just wanted to see the gear...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/