The Smallboat

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll see what we can do. :rolleyes:

About the original boat. Keith and I will be arriving in KY on Tues. Nov 27th so we'd be happy to help in restoring it if it isn't finished by then. He's really good at woodworking and I can certainly handle painting and finishing.

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

Well Foxe did leave that nice example in the colours of white,green, gold and red...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Port Royal relinquishes any claim to the boat. Being buccaneers, we are landsfolk, not sailors. So there would no reason for us to be boating anywhere.

Have at it!

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Port Royal relinquishes any claim to the boat. Being buccaneers, we are landsfolk, not sailors. So there would no reason for us to be boating anywhere.

Have at it!

-- Hurricane

Polite and historical. We need to poach some cattle and pigs for your camp.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Amanjiria wrote:

Also I can't tell what the top rail is covered with? It looks like leather. So hard to tell what needs to be done.

Oakum? nah , that would be too sticky.

sigh...I had my sights on building a herreshoff designed beetle-cat, now you have me all confused.

SHIP2-1.jpg

OK.... this is kinda silly, and not really period....

But I always though it would be fun to have a mob of Pyrates in a row boat(s), land on some public beach.... go ashore, and dig a deep hole and bury some treasure.... then go back to the boat and just row away....

Of course you'd have a "stooge" with a vidio camera filming all the beach goers reactions.... :ph34r:

OK.... this is kinda silly, and not really period....

But I always though it would be fun to have a mob of Pyrates in a row boat(s), land on some public beach.... go ashore, and dig a deep hole and bury some treasure.... then go back to the boat and just row away....

Of course you'd have a "stooge" with a vidio camera filming all the beach goers reactions.... :ph34r:

It's funny that you should say that, because a few of us have been talking about a night raid or some very 'public' thing involving the boats.

Your idea has great merit and I find it hilarious, and more than the silly humor of it, it has advertising potential. Someone watching us bury it is bound to go and dig it up if we just leave it there, so we fill it with maps to Fort Taylor and a bottle of rum that says, "If found, please return to Patrick Hand at the Pirate Festival in Fort Zachary Taylor.

Okay, has a decision been made yet upon what colors shall be used to restore the boat? I wish I could be part of the restoration crew. Truly I do. It would be great fun.

(And, aye, if Lily and I can commandeer some more boats for you we will.)

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.

Your idea has great merit and I find it hilarious, and more than the silly humor of it, it has advertising potential. Someone watching us bury it is bound to go and dig it up if we just leave it there, so we fill it with maps to Fort Taylor and a bottle of rum that says, "If found, please return to Patrick Hand at the Pirate Festival in Fort Zachary Taylor.

Brilliant idea... now if the stooge with the video camera could possibly be from the local news...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

I don't like the idea of leavin' any rum..... (two reasons... it might be a kid that digs it up..... and welll ..... it's RUM........)

Getting the local media to film it....... Hey..... Six O clock news......Now THAT HAS SOME POTENTIAL........

We just explaine it to them.... kinda a "Candid Camera" Kinda thing...... fillls in one of thiere "spots" (news around Town...) .... and it lets everyone know that something is happining out at the Fort........ Cool.......

Well the concept is that we have shouvels in th' boats..... so we could dig a deep hole.... that way it would take some "work" to recover it........ :ph34r:

Like I typed... I allways thought it would be lotsa fun...........

But I also like the idea of letting the local news know about it........

Fun, and a (6:00 ) story...... all at the same time.......

...and in local news...pirates were seen in the vacinity of Southernmost Point earlier today burying what appeared to be stolen goods. Locals reported that a band of the scurvy knaves arrived armed with pistols and shovels...

...and so forth.

And yes, the rum bottle was a bad idea for the kiddies. I'm a pirate. What can I say?

Sorry ~ continuing the hijack ~

But! If we do bury treasure at Fort Zachary, say, Friday ~ and make it clear that the treasure remains there to be dug up ~ could generate attendance to just go looking for the chest, if it looked worthwhile ~

And this is not to say we couldn't bury chests at a few Key West beaches (chests buried at remote beaches might have a 2 free passes to the event, with maps and such?).

Love ya, Patrick! Keep that mind going!

:P

My vote is green, gold or red accents for boat colors.

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

I don't want to burst anyone's bubble. Hidding a treasure sounds really fun, but we are forgetting that it is "Key" West. A key is not an island, it is formed from old corral beds. In most places you can only dig down around a foot before you hit solid coral and limestone. We can bring picks to get down deep, but it will be alot of work. Near the Southern Most Marker is a Marriot Hotel. They have a man made beach with tons of sand. A large pier goes out where many people could watch/ film the event as the pirates row in and bury the treasure on the beach. We'll just have to avoid the crazy jet skiers. If we contact the Marriot, they might really go for the idea! I remember them being nice to us in years past.

"Remember, on a pirate ship, in pirate waters, in a pirate world, ask no questions. Believe only what you see. No, believe half of what you see."... Burt Lancaster

iiiiii.jpg

DUM SPIRO SPERO... WHILE I BREATH, I HOPE

it is formed from old corral beds. In most places you can only dig down around a foot before you hit solid coral and limestone. We can bring picks to get down deep

Forgot about that..... OK How about Dynamite? :ph34r:

If we contact the Marriot, they might really go for the idea!

That might be cool also.......

If we contact the Marriot, they might really go for the idea! I remember them being nice to us in years past.

Keep in mind, that this could mean free publicity for them as well...

Crewe of the Archangel

Lovin' the whole idea of this...

But, need to raise a question...

What's the surf like around there? And, when's the last time anyone who'd be doing this rowed a small boat in through the surf without getting swamped?

If the surf is very light, no worries... If it's surfboard worthy... er.... good luck....

Mayhaps we need a bigger boat? ;)

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

There is no surf in KW. I wish there was, I surf myself, but the shallow reefs around Truman Annex kill all the swells on the eastern side. At best it gets a little chop and that's it. Maybe during A tropical depression/ storm/ hurricane there could be surf. The most difficult thing with water activities, is the current.

Several years back when we had the first Walk. the Plank Championship, I rowed the judge out to the Wolf from the beach side. The current was running probably 10 to 15 knots. I had a tough time at first until I got used to it . The other 3 boats spent their afternoon trying to get close with no avail. Louie threw me a line from the Wolf so I wouldn't have to row during the contest.

I didn't get a chance to go on the Fort side, but I think the current will probably be the same. I would be smart to have a little Kodiak standing by with some modern propulsion.

Heck time it right, bury the treasure, and drift down past the Beach and up to the fort. No fighting the current and having a nice scenic trip to the encampments to boot.

I'm in!

"Remember, on a pirate ship, in pirate waters, in a pirate world, ask no questions. Believe only what you see. No, believe half of what you see."... Burt Lancaster

iiiiii.jpg

DUM SPIRO SPERO... WHILE I BREATH, I HOPE