shoe question

blackbonie

Aye..I have a pic of these which I would love to have. They were simply stated as 18 C shoe. BTW they are a museum piece.

18thc-shoe.jpg

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

If they say 17th and 18th C that probably puts it right smack dab in the GAoP. As a rule of thumb, late 17th C is appropriate.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Lacy Shoe

I found these while looking for shoes yesterday..I found shoes that while not PC was hoping to still be able to use them and Im toying with the idea of adding lace since I found these.

The caption below the shoe states...This shoe with lace trimming was worn by a Miss Langley during the reign of Charles II, made in pale yellow silk it is embroidered with flowers. Drawing from Greig's "Book of Illustrations of Collections of Ladies Old-Fashioned Shoes"

And the info is found here...

The costumers manifesto

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

Actually Chole Black is the shoe authority...

Well off to work :lol:

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

I actually like that type of shoe as well and have found other vintage pics as well. Sometimes the shoe manufactures go back to the style, I have had some shoes within the past 20 years that had that style, alas I wore them all out for faire. Sofi's stitches has a pair I keep thinking about ordering..for 29 bucks. They are just patent leather I believe.

sofi's webby

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg

I actually like that type of shoe as well and have found other vintage pics as well. Sometimes the shoe manufactures go back to the style, I have had some shoes within the past 20 years that had that style, alas I wore them all out for faire. Sofi's stitches has a pair I keep thinking about ordering..for 29 bucks. They are just patent leather I believe.

sofi's webby

those are very cool.something to think about.i just dont like the shape of the heel. they would be good for faires tho.

• 2 months later...

The issue I have had with attempting (and I mean attempting) to make these shoes have been with the sole and the fabric. You can glue fabric over the leather or whatever, but will peel off after the first or second event. And with limited equipment, even using barge glue for putting the sole back together, it won't take long after some usage to have the sole pull apart.

I'm going to attempt another experiment (mentioned this to Siren) and HOPEFULLY will turn out the way I want it. And will be like these fancy style shoes we see.

~Lady B

:lol:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Actually Chole Black is the shoe authority...

Well off to work :lol:

Aww, & I never saw this post. Thanks Red Cat. I'm no expert, I just play one on the internet :lol:

Anyway Lady B have you read this ladies book on making your own shoes? That's a good place to start even though they are modern styled shoes.

http://www.marywalesloomis.com/

In regards to the gold shoes posted back in July by Red Cat. I'd say they are 18th century, 1720's, but probably later is what my gut says. Traits to look at when dating shoes

- the stitching along the back of the heel. Can't see it in this pic but GOF's site has some good info on butt stitching v. the other styles that were used and when each style was popular.

- the size of the buckle. This one looks pretty large for early 18th or late 17th Century

- see that area where the latchet (strap across the instep) connects with the body of the shoe. It looks like an angled downward "L". IN the 17th century open latchet shoes that connection is more like a straight line at the bottom point of the "O" opening. As the opening closes the angle of the connection stays pretty straight. By 1740 the strap angle is the inverted L like in the photo.

- the shape of the heel. Don't know much about different shapes and the years they were popular though, sorry.

- the size of the tongue. Bigger then shrinking through the 18th C until we get the tongue free flat shoes of the last quarter.

HTH

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

I would say they were later as well. My guess, 1760s

The heels start to get thinner around this time, and that is an awfully large latchet and buckle... but women shoes always seem to be different than mens.

But

If you are using these as an example to copy. Go for it. You can make the heel a little stockier and the latchets thinner.

You can get some good ideas by googling 17th or 18th century womens shoes or checking out the V&A online or the Bath Museum of Costume.

Good luck and keep us posted.

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!