Bodices...

that's a gorgeous fabric, honor bright :)

by the way, what did you use to hitch up the front of your skirt? was it made that way or did you have hikes? and if soooo where did you get them?

i looped some brown strings through the garter holes on my corset to try toget the same effect, but they kept moving together and losing the look so i just used pins =p

i was looking at the baldrics at ravenwood a couple of days ago :) i'm trying to figure out how to make one =p but perhaps i should leave that to professionals...

61jctci.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One I saved up for and bought from Ravenswood Leather:

http://www.ravenswoodleather.com/

It wasn't cheap! However, I wear it often, I think it's my favorite.

Are the Ravenswood bodices boned? or thick/stiff enough to do without? From the pictures they look flexible soft and potentially unsupportive. But I do like the style of the saberist one.

All this talk about bodices and stays and not a single picture of someone IN one....

How sad........

;)

GoF

Hey now, I'm wearing my stays in my sig pic & they are visable (the light brown in the middle). Of course you have to look past all the other clothes to find them :lol:

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

I think it is your neckerchief that he would like to look past.... :lol:

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

It's not exactly a bodice or stays but it is a leather waist cincher and it is WONDERFUL for a back support too.

Cool hat, huh?

*Ignore that bottle of Coke. It should have been Pepsi*

DSC09568.jpg

Taking on the world....one pair of boots at a time!

A little bit of this...a little bit of that...a lot of dreams....

Blue Puppy--

I used the same hitching method I do on my overskirt for renfests.

Let's see if I can explain it...

A gathered skirt.

Two in the front and two in the back--

there are four sets of 12" twill tapes sewn into the waistband.

1/3 of the way down, I sew a curtain ring.

2/3 of the way down another curtain ring.

(this is all on the inside)

I thread the two ties through them both and draw them up and then tie them.

Oh, hell....let me post a picture of the method.

For the pirate skirt I just used the same system but only two in the front instead of the four drapes.

Makes sure you have pantyhose or striped stockings. Shows off the boots really well.

I realize this is a thread about bodices but someone asked about hitching up the skirt. Being a relative newcomer here, I didn't want to get in any trouble so that is why I am posting this. As a way to show how to hitch up your skirt. Even though this is a bodice topic.

Am I making any sense? No? I figured as much.

Step one--

DSC09076.jpg

Step two--

DSC09077.jpg

Step three--

DSC09079.jpg

Step four--

DSC09080.jpg

This is all done with two sets in front, two in back (about 4" from the back zipper).

Be sure and use twill tape and use fray-check on the bottom of the cut edges so they don't ravel.

....just jumping in here...I made some short suspender straps for my hiking up needs. Remember those things they used to cinch in the back of the peasant dresses together at one time (80's)? It was a elastic band with two clips on each end. I make them and then used ribbons and buttons to decorate with. I have made several for different outfits, they work like a charm. The ones for my pyrating outfit I found some great buttons that have clipper ships on them. Not authentic but they work great....just another idea.

..oh and about bodices, I have made every single one of mine so far. I borrowed a book from someone that told you how to make and dress for Faire. I followed their guidelines of making a pattern based off of a vest. I have rendered my pattern down to two pieces - outside and lining side.

This is the book, it has great deal of info on making your own costume.

website for book

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg

ahhh great explanations on the skirt hikes! :) thanks very much everyone :lol:

Honor Bright, are those ties then on the inside of the skirt? so when it's on you dont see the rings? or on the outside? i like the ring thing cause you can adjust the hike.

i also like Lady Alyx's suspender idea, too! those would be very easy to use! thanks for the link to the book by the way :)

thanks much again :)

and on the subject of bodies, i saw someone asking about boned ones? any recommendations on those?

61jctci.jpg

It's not exactly a bodice or stays but it is a leather waist cincher and it is WONDERFUL for a back support too.

Cool hat, huh?

*Ignore that bottle of Coke. It should have been Pepsi*

DSC09568.jpg

That hat is pretty cool indeed :)

Not something I'd wear personally (I like plain tricorns) but it looks great on you :)

Are the Ravenswood bodices boned? or thick/stiff enough to do without? From the pictures they look flexible soft and potentially unsupportive. But I do like the style of the saberist one.

Mine isn't boned. It's pretty supportive anyway though as long as you tie it up tight enough. I don't think it does quite the job of a well boned bodice though. Here's some pictures of mine:

bodice2.jpgbodice1.jpg

Blue Puppy--

The rings and the ties go on the INSIDE of the skirt.

If you wear this, I suggest tying the underskirt with the rings and ties before you put it on. Then just step into it and THEN put on the underskirt. That way you don't have to fumble with skirt-on-skirt.

Whatever you do, DON'T bend over before you have the underskirt on. I did that and have yet to live it down. ;)

In a faire parking lot, no less.

Here is the finished look.

WenchandDoxyDeb.jpg

I have 3 of Odd Bodkin's Bodices and they all fit great. I do wear some underthings for support but the boning is pretty good. I might take it out tho and put in the super heavy metal stakes, if just for support. Tell them Melissa from Iowa sent you\

http://cgi.ebay.com/Renaissance-Wench-SCA-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

If you are looking for a truly faire piece. I would highly recommend Moresca for thier bodices. I have had a max bodice for about 6 years now and it has been through everything. and is very adjustable... At the moment it is doubling as my stays as I am losing weight and do not want to put the energy or the money into a proper set. I have the pattern and the cane for the boning and the fabric and am all set to go.

But the Moresca ones are great and work for pirate and wench... and they do give a reallllly good amount of fluff....

One of my g/f's has a Ravenswood bodice, but she has the shorty (the one that stops under the boobs) for more a tribal look, I don't recall her telling me they had any sort of stay. She's rather a timid type and was worried about boobish flying out, but she had no problem the first time she wore it.

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

setting into making said garment i/e/ stays.......................any ideas on how to get the well endowd look for those of us that are less favoured by nature?

ye ship's potter,

Salty

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

One I saved up for and bought from Ravenswood Leather:

http://www.ravenswoodleather.com/

It wasn't cheap! However, I wear it often, I think it's my favorite.

Thanks Rogue Mermaid for posting such a cool site to be sure. I am sure I will have much fun creating a wish list for me self. :(:(

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.