POTC 4 ??

He loves doing it... because his two children, Lily Rose and Jack, ADORE Captain Jack Sparrow.

Savvey? :huh:

:huh: Who does not adore Captain Jack? Im keeping fingers crossed for a fourth..Ol Barbossa and Jack...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

Yes, I had forgotten that thing about his kids. I read that somewhere now that you mention it.

(shrug) Suit yourselves. I like the stylized Jack. I think it looks more devious than mean. They should do a stylized undead Jack. Then we'd have something.

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

As long as they take there tyme writting #4....Ok...

#1 was written extreemly well... something #3 needed...( some of it was a little too far out for me) though I enjoyed it an saw it twice..

A re-vamp series like Long John Silver / The Bucaneers would be alot more funner for me...

I am more warm to the idea of 'nother pirate movie thats historic in nature with new players in it...Perhaps The Black Bart or something like that.

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

I wonder how well a standalone, no mystical stuff, no Johnny Depp pirate movie would do, though? For the most part, pirate movies have not very done well in theatres since the 50's. I think it was Depp's off-the-wall characterization that really elevated this movie above the normal fare. (Anyone remember Haunted Mansion? Me neither.) The undead thing was an added bonus, but I agree with one critic's review of CotBP which basically said, "all the rest of this has been done before in one way or another and while it's done well here, it's Depp's character that really makes this movie standout."

Go back and read the reviews of the first movie that come out at the time. All the positive ones talk quite a bit about Captain Jack and Johnny Depp. That was very much my impression at the time. Since then, it has acquired an aura all it's own and has, in some ways broken away from the Captain Jack thing. (Helped by his rather lacklustre role in the second movie.) But I think that was the X-Factor that broke the Box Office Curse of the Modern Pirate Movie

"Am I not?"

I wonder how well a standalone, no mystical stuff, no Johnny Depp pirate movie would do, though? For the most part, pirate movies have not very done well in theatres since the 50's. I think it was Depp's off-the-wall characterization that really elevated this movie above the normal fare. (Anyone remember Haunted Mansion? Me neither.) The undead thing was an added bonus, but I agree with one critic's review of CotBP which basically said, "all the rest of this has been done before in one way or another and while it's done well here, it's Depp's character that really makes this movie standout."

Go back and read the reviews of the first movie that come out at the time. All the positive ones talk quite a bit about Captain Jack and Johnny Depp. That was very much my impression at the time. Since then, it has acquired an aura all it's own and has, in some ways broken away from the Captain Jack thing. (Helped by his rather lacklustre role in the second movie.) But I think that was the X-Factor that broke the Box Office Curse of the Modern Pirate Movie

i think also, well with a more historic movie, everyone eventually knows how it ends. polices are passed to end piracy, pirates are hanged in mass quantities, etc etc

so even if the characters make it out of the present situation in this movie, they're doomed anyway, and that takes the "magic" away for the general population

i think (beyond johnny depp) what makes the POTC movies stand out is that people identify with the legendary, folklorish free-wheeling pirate spirit (especially nowadays when we're pretty much all stuck at desks or cubicles, i know that's what i'm primarily into) AND the facination with magic and the "unknown depths," sea monsters, mysterious pirate treasure, "the still beatin' heart o' davy jones," etc etc =p

but johnny depp's portrayal of captain jack did indeed have alot to do with it. if you read a review now, it's all "pirates rules! whoo!" but like caraccioli said, the reviews at the time give his characterization much more credit for the success of the movie

(everybody knows SOMEONE who went to see it just BECAUSE depp was in it =p)

61jctci.jpg

Yet, I know of no other large scale pirate movies currently in production. (This isn't to say that there aren't any, it's just that I don't know of any.) Actually, that's kind of nice for Disney.

Remember when Star Wars came out. (Many of you won't. :D ) Within the next few years there were literally dozens of space movies. Even the James Bond series altered their plans so they could release the (awful) Moonraker to cash in on the mania. Yet you don't see this with pirates. Curious...

"Am I not?"

i think there will be some, though. people are just sort of "waking up" to how lucrative pirates still are =p maybe they're trying to come up with something "perfect" to outshine was disney's managed to do

i think at this stage though, consumers are kind of "aware" of the rip-off factor in hollywood. "Ants" and "A Bugs Life," "Finding Nemo," and "A Shark's Tale," etc. nobody wants to be the "rip off movie" =p

61jctci.jpg

What?! I doubt that. Hollywood can't change it's spots that easily. Next you'll be saying that they embrace originality. :D

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

What's interesting is how well breaking the mold has worked in the past. Star Wars was turned down by over twenty studios when Lucas was pitching it. Rocky was rejected by even more. One studio agreed to make if Stallone didn't appear it - and he wrote it form himself! Even low budget films that try different things sometimes outsell many of the Hollywood carbon copies. The story of how the original Night of the Living Dead got made (in Romero's industrial film facility) is another fine example. Even Black Pearl works...a film in a genre that everyone had decided was dead and buried. (Although I have great hopes for Indy IV. :lol: )

OTOH, who knows how many times Hollywood has been burned by experimentation? If you know Police Academy 11 is going to generate a decent sum with low costs...well, I guess I can see why such a thing gets made. (For the record, there were seven of those. With a potential eighth one being planned!)

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright