Chained Cannonball

Maggie Crowe

Chain Shot is what I think you are thinking of

I have seen it both as two cannon balls connected by a short chain

and as two half spheres connected by a short chain.

but in both cases, I believe it is called "chain shot" and yes it was real

see http://www.aeragon.com/o/am/a-03.html

or http://www.kipar.org/piratical-resources/b...-firepower.html

and scroll down to where they describe the different types of cannon balls, etc.

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I

There were chain shots and also bar shots. The latter looked like a dumb bell, and sometimes was extendable so as to widen the destructive radius. Purpose of both was to destroy rigging parts such as masts, yardarms, sails or shrouds.

The name "angel" for both of these devices originated from the banshee howling they made when whirling trough the air.

banner.jpg

"The floggings will continue until morale improves!"

I was watching POC I on the tv tonight, and noticed that just before the boarding scene, Pintel and Raggetti load chain shot into their cannon and fire it at the mast, which in turn brings down the mast trapping Will in the hold where he went to retrieve the Aztec coin. I also found it kind of interesting that just before that, Elizabeth has them 'club haul' the ship. I first remember reading about that fancy maneuver in the Patrick O'Brian Aubrey-Maturin series. Wonder if that is where they 'borrowed' the idea from?

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I

LOL, That's actually how it came up in conversation. I was saying the 'hang-gliding' scene in POTC3 (my son's favorite scene) was the most unbelievable scene in the movie, and that's sayin' something. My husband said he thought it was the chained together cannonballs, to which, of course, I said, 'No, no, those were a real thing'

Thanks to you all, I know WAY too much about pirates B):lol:

I can't remember his name, but one of Davy Jones' crew carries around chainshot in II and III, which he uses as a hand-held weapon.

"Remember, on a pirate ship, in pirate waters, in a pirate world, ask no questions. Believe only what you see. No, believe half of what you see."... Burt Lancaster

iiiiii.jpg

DUM SPIRO SPERO... WHILE I BREATH, I HOPE

• 2 weeks later...