Barbossa style slops................

smoolie671

makes no real world relevance.

to you

and that's all well and good. To each their own.

But for some of us (there's more than just me right?) those "irrelevant" details are why we do this. They are what makes this fun, the researching, the trying things out, the pouring over books and paintings and antique diary entries to find one little reference to one little thing and then discussing (usually civilly) with others about that tiny little detail. Oh, I'm getting all excited just thinking about it :lol:

And by the way, there are people who get just as obsessive about emulating their Hollywood movie icons (*cough* Johnny Depp impersonators *cough*). Just because one is modern and one is historic, doesn't mean that the mentality is any different.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

I would also like to mention that you posted this here in Capt'n Twill. It is here for these types of discussions. This is where they stay. I know personally when I'm in other forums my focus and tone are vastly different.

I used to think much the same, until I really started researching it.

Now for me it is fascinating how the styles change. Just like we don't still wear platform shoes and bell bottoms today, we don't wear bucket boots and fall front breeches when trying to represent the GOaP. This is what some of us are here for, to research and discuss these details.

Please, please don't take this as a lecture or as a personal attack at all. Believe me, I still wear my boots and have some drawstring baggy pants to go with them. Just check my profile. It’s just another side of the coin. So please try and get these pants made, heck I might just make some myself. Post pics when your outfit is complete and share. Just about all of us we'll admire time and effort you have put into it. I truly hope there is no hard feeling about this; I do not want to sound mean. Tone is sometimes misconstrued in written word. No worries mate! :lol: Can't wait to see what you can come up with.