Hat question

I promised pictures so here you go... This is what we call "The Captain Kidd" it is a roughed up version in wool felt with the brim turned up toward the front. It is customizable and can be made without the distressing, with a flat brim, or formed in other ways as well. These are stiffened and water treated and go for $65.00 as shown including the leather hatband.

JohnCaptainKidd.JPG

JeremyKidd.JPG

KiddSide.JPG

We block our own blanks but if you are just looking for a blank and trying to cut the middle man for cost reasons, we're not necessarily going to be more cost effective because most blanks you buy are machine blocked & ours are done by hand... believe it or not the raw materials cost about as much and sometimes more than some of the pre-finished blanks you'll find.

The guy blocking the hats IS the middle man!

The only way to cut out the middle man is to block them yourself.

If you're only making a few hats (less than a few dozen) it's not worth the trouble.

But if you wanna make a ton of hats, go to http://www.hatsupply.com

You can buy Capelines (cartwheel, body) for $10 bucks and then block and size yerself. But I warn you...it takes practice to hand block and size a hat!

Felt Hats are easy to work with, plus it's fun!

"Without caffine, I'd have no personality at all"

I have posted this before, but this seems to be as good as any to post again.

Here is a montage of cocked hats from the GAoP

Tricorn-Develop.jpg

That may help you come up with a style that satisfies your needs.

Greg aka GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

I have posted this before, but this seems to be as good as any to post again.

Here is a montage of cocked hats from the GAoP

<snipped to save screen space>

That may help you come up with a style that satisfies your needs.

Greg aka GoF

Hey GoF (or anyone else),

I'm not sure if it was a figment of my sometimes faulty memory, but is there a similar montage for womens hats out there? I've been half-heartedly looking for it for a few days, and since the topic is fresh...

Thanks in advance for any links or images provided.

Michael_banner.jpg

I'm not sure if it was a figment of my sometimes faulty memory, but is there a similar montage for womens hats out there? I've been half-heartedly looking for it for a few days, and since the topic is fresh...

The links that Captain Pogue posted earlier include ladies hats:

It looks like the pilgrim hat evolves a bit thru the years, same general shape... If the galleries are correct.

17th Century Hats

18th Century Hats

The links that Captain Pogue posted earlier include ladies hats:

It looks like the pilgrim hat evolves a bit thru the years, same general shape... If the galleries are correct.

17th Century Hats

18th Century Hats

Thanks!

Those are exactly the images I was half remembering and looking for! Sorry I was being too lazy to think of going back through this thread to find them.

Michael_banner.jpg

Patrick

The cowboy hat was a right fine idea. I just so happened to have an old cowboy hat that I was looking at trashing. Instead of a coffe can I used a planting pot. It looks beat up and distressed, but has the shape I was going for. As soon as I get my digital camera back I'll post a picture.

Thanks for the advice.

Pogue

Conceptual Simplicity, Structural Complexity, Achieves a Greater State of humanity.

I'm glade the cowboy hat worked....

I went to the Northern California Pyrate Festival this weekend.... it was very windy, and the cocked hat stays on my head.... but my face got kinda sunburned.... so I bought a brown hat blank for $28.00, and will be fixing that up.... I'm going to leave the brim down so it shades my face, and stretch the crown.. I have to find what I want to trim the edge, and I'll be linning it....I'll post pictures of the whole process as I'm making it.....

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my hat finished. Thanks again to everyone that contributed. Here's a pic, with my pipe stuck in the band.

Still Pantless Pogue, but I got a new hat... :rolleyes:

Conceptual Simplicity, Structural Complexity, Achieves a Greater State of humanity.

If it fits, and you like it, then the answer is 'no'.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

You better believe I looked at it quite a bit... I'm still bouncing around a hat lining. I'll be wearing a rag between my head and hat so I'm waffling... I think I'll stay away from the edging for now. I'm still working on a way to make sure the hat stays on even in windy conditions. Would chin straps(more like strings) be accurate, if not I've got to go with staples... Glue will just clump up my hair. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the compliment Carlislekid.

It is scary how much I didn't spend on this one compared to my Capt. Jack.