Hat question

From what I've read about proper GAoP headwear it is pretty much the cocked hat, monmouth(sp?), and thrum(sp). I've seen another hat style, a bit taller than a tricorn, flat on top, and the brim is down. If that is the proper way to put it. Somewhat like a pilgrim hat without the buckle.

Right now I'm watching Yellowbeard, not the best source for piratical ideas I know... But, Blind Pew is wearing that style of hat.

Is it historically accurate, if so does it have a name?

Thanks,

Pantless Pogue (still)

Conceptual Simplicity, Structural Complexity, Achieves a Greater State of humanity.

It's a "sugarloaf" crown ..... I blocked a Jas. Tounsend Hat blank into one....

Filled the top with boiling water.... then stretched it over a coffee can.... (but not as tall as what I'm thinking you are thinking.... :blink: )

The biggest problem with it, is that it blows off your head too easily,,, so I just cocked it, and now it stays in place......

To be truthfully honnest... I'm not 100% positive....

In the period picture gallery (somewhere ) on Foxes page (I can't find the web address...) is a picture of Edward Lowe and another showing Captain Spriggs and both are wearing flat crowned hats.... Capt. Sprigg's is cocked, and Edward Low's looks like it's turned up on one side....

I think they were from an early eddition of Johnsone General History... but I'm not sure.....

I've done some searching and found the exact style I was talking about, the Capotain. It doesn't look like a cocked hat blank would quite cut it though.

Any ideas where I could find a hat blank for it? What about making one out of leather? Is there a precendence for a leather hat, besides Jack Sparrows?

Also, I'd love to hear more input on the different hat styles that are appropriate.

Wiki Capotain

Village Hat Shop Gallery

Conceptual Simplicity, Structural Complexity, Achieves a Greater State of humanity.

Seems like similar hats are seen in a lot of Howard Pyle paintings & Don Maitz depicts Captain Kidd in a "pilgrim" hat, now I know these aren't necessarily period renderings but it seems from the other research that it is a period style.

I have recently acquired a block to block felt in this style, I'll post pictures later.

Here are a couple of Pyle images depicting pirates in this style of hat:

fate_tt_3x.jpg

fate_tt_4.jpg

ahh yes the "pilgrim" hat.

It can be period correct, depend of course on your class and how early in the GAoP your portraying. We see tons of them in the Cries of London, well worn of course.

Unfortunately so far the only place I've ever seen one for sale is on an English site, and it's not a cheap hat. Let me go digging through the enormous list of links and see if I can find it again.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

I believe the second Pyle painting depicts the sacking of Cartegena - a buccaneer action. In that case, the hat would be appropriate, I guess. But for the GAoP, I don't know that it is period-appropriate. But if you don't care, then go crazy.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Patrick - What is Twill?

Captain Twill... the section above this one.....

I can't remember the name of the book those hats came from..... Costume through the Ages, .... or something like that.....

If it's the book I'm thinking of, they did drawings from period paintings.... the drawings are close.... but If I remember right.... they were not always exactly accurate.......

But it all depends on how acurate you want a hat to be.....

For Hollywood Pyrate, Howard Pyle will be close enough....

For authentic, finding a copy of the original painting (for the details) or a photo of a period hat is better.....

Kinda off topic...

CrazyCholeBlack - What is 'Cries of London' ?

Patrick - What is Twill?

Sorry, should have been more clear there.

The Cries & Hawkers of London. A series of etchings of street hawkers and other folk, drawn after life by Marcellus Laroon. There is a compilation by Sean Shesgreen available on Amazon or through interlibrary loan. It's a must read for anyone doing a common person impression during the GAoP.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Twill, ah.

Is there a post somewhere that lists some good books to research for pictures?

It has been a while since I had to do historical research, back in the ol'college days. Entirely different culture as well. Some pointers would be tremendously helpful. Other than hitting the local public library and pulling everything on 17th and 18th century. :lol:

If you can't pay a lot, use Haentze ? Hat Crafters somewhere in PA. I know this place was mentioned somewhere here before. They have a cheap "pilgrim" hat (English Civil War) that works well if tarred or stiffened in some way. We're not talkin' great quality, but with some work, they can look pretty good.

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.

Just a fun thought....

go to your local thrift store..... find an old coyboy hat.... buy it... take it home.... and mutilate the snot outta it..... (I prefer to use boilling watter than steam)

Pour the crown of the thing fulla boilling water (be carefull not to burn yourself) then dump out the water, and mash it over a coffee can.... see how it stretches..... you can pull the snot outta a felt hat..... you can use a broom stick and pull it all the way into a witches hat... hey.. it's only a cowboy hat.... you are using it to experiment with....

Once you see what you can do with a felt cowboy hat... you will be more comfortable messing with a felt hat blank.....

Billy Bones -

I'll have to look into HatCrafters, thanks for the tip.

Patrick -

Used cowboy hat, that's a fine idea. I don't know if I could

find one down here in Texas... If I do, don't they hang you

for that? Just adds to the excitement, thanks for the idea.

Sebastian -

Two years? Is that there standard turn around time? What

did you order that took two years? Or are they just that

busy? Do you have any experience with Capt. Jack's Hats, if

so how does it compare for quality and price?

Pogue

I've had quite a bit of experience with Captain Jacks Pirate Hats. At the moment I have three styles of hats from the MacKay: an oil/wax treated Long John Silver, an oil/wax treated Barbossa, and the scallywag limited (which I have moded a bit by cutting a horseshoe shaped hole from the tip and curling out the edges slightly to produce a worn looking barber's bowl style hat.) When you order your hat you are looking at around a two month wait, but I have never been disappointed with any of his work. I am very fond of all my hats from the MacKay and will probably get more in the future. As far as price goes that totally depends on what line of hats you order from and what treatment you desire, my scallywag limited is untreated which makes for a more comfortable hat right out of the box, but my other two with the oil/wax treatment have stood up to a lot of punishment and weather that I wouldn't try to put my scallywag limited through.

You also might consider these folks for you hat needs:

http://www.centerstagecostumes.com/Catalog...g/FrameCAT3.htm

I've never gotten a hat from them, but the other products I have ordered have been great, and their service is fantastic.

GageSig.png

Two years? Is that there standard turn around time? What

did you order that took two years? Or are they just that

busy? Do you have any experience with Capt. Jack's Hats, if

so how does it compare for quality and price?

Pogue

For Dirty Billy's it all depends on what else he's got going on... his Girl Friday, also said to keep on them about it...honestly I didn't need to, my hat came in less than two months and it was a special order in gray beaver. But if you can get a cheap substitute in the meantime, Dirty Billy's hats are not only worth every penny but worth the wait....

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

:lol: Aye, Dirty Billy is a migh slow, depending on wether the CW guys keep him busy or Hollywood. He madse many of the hats for GETTYSBURG and GODS AND GENERALS. Best way to deal with Billy is go see him and don't wait til you need yer hat tomorrow.