Reconstrucing History's Stays

Well this was an adventure. I've never really made anything this precise before. There are still minor issues with the fit. Due to my own inexperience.

But here are some pics. These include the period shift (chemise) in white light weight linen. Two petticoats, one underneath white light weight linen, and the outer one in blue medium weight linen, all knife pleated. Using Kass' instruction from pattern #713. (I'm not on the payroll I swear. :lol: )

The stays are made out of multiple layers of linen and the outer was hand dyed green and is a linen/ cotton blend. Fully boned without busks.

I used plastic boning instead of reeds at suggested per Kass. (I wanted to be able to wash it.) So enough talking here are the pics.

ShanaGarb2.jpg

ShanaGarb1.jpg

StaysSide.jpg

StaysFront.jpg

I believe this is how you spiral lace.

Staysback.jpg

Awesome job Aminjiria! :lol:

I had started one of those for my other half, but had gotten stuck on the boning issue. After hearing you had good success with plastic boning I will probably follow suit and use that as well, I had previously thought of using metal boning, but that sounded like too much hard work compared to using plastic.

Michael_banner.jpg

How hard was the project?

Quite traumatic. :lol: I worried the whole time that it wasn't going to fit some how. It fit well of course but a few thing will need to be adjusted before I make another one. If I ever make another one. :D Binding was probably the hardest thing on whole garment.

It has been the hardest garment I've made myself. I don't plan on making another one any time soon.

I had started one of those for my other half, but had gotten stuck on the boning issue. After hearing you had good success with plastic boning I will probably follow suit and use that as well, I had previously thought of using metal boning, but that sounded like too much hard work compared to using plastic.

Yeah I did some research and found a few sites were people had made there own corsets and used plastic boning. I didn't use a busk on hers. (Busk is a larger stiffener than boning. It can be made out metal, bone, or wood.) That would go on the front. I didn't use one because I felt she didn't need that much support and I wanted to make it comfortable enough for here to wear it. :D

Wow, Jack! It looks totally amazing. I'm shocked that this is your first time working with stays.

Kass

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Bravo :(

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

And Hand Dyed, WITH A PATTERN TO IT? WOW! I'd love to see a close-up of the fabric ~

Here you go. The file size is a bit larger than I would normally use, but I wanted to show good detail.

The Original is on the left, dyed on the right. I dyed several smaller pieces

with different times. I also beached a couple of them and dyed them to see

what that would look like. I eventually went with an unbleached piece dyed for 10 minutes and rinsed the crap out of it. I used RIT brand dye, I'm currently out of a dye fixative. So before I wash it, I will need to procure some. Rit dye will continue to run even after I've rinsed and washed to death. :huh: One the these days I will get into fiber reactive dyes, but thats another day. The pattern is woven into the fabric. Thats why it still shows, even when dyed. I bought this fabric at Jo-Ann. So you might be able to find some. Check their linen section. Here are the pics. ENJOY!

fabric3.jpg

fabric1.jpg

fabric2.jpg

The only concern that you should have about the plastic boning in stays, would be that plastic does not breathe.

Also, you should not really need to wash your stays, when worn with a proper shift. I have had my pair for about 4-5 years and have touched cleaned it, never soaked it through.