Questions about POTC AWE

Jib

Perhaps, for the sake of story, we could assume that it being a curse, they only feel unpleasant things.

And thanks for the clarification on what Tia Dalma said before going to pieces!

Sea Captain: Yar, that be handsome pete, he dances on the pier for nickels!

Sea Captain: Arrr... you gave him a quarter, he'll be dancin all day.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i hope i dont sound dumb here, but how did davy jones walk right thru the cell bars, but his "hand" was stuck in it?

and how did they tie themselves to the mast when they went under water?

and i too have been wondering what mark jack left on beckett and why they dont say.

i had 100 questions before and cant remember now.

I read this about the Davy Jones/Calypso situation:

One scene cut explained that if Calypso had greeted Davy Jones after his ten years of ferrying dead souls, then he would have been freed of his duty. In turn, Will is freed of his captaincy as Elizabeth remains faithful to him ten years later

Here's my thoughts on that: I just watched this again tonight for my 2nd time. And btw, a 2nd viewing is so much better than the first time. Anyway, they explained more than once that there must always be a Captain for the Dutchman. And the only way to be free from being the Captain is to have someone else stab the heart. It kills the present Captain and makes the person who did the stabbing the next Captain. They then have their heart cut out and placed in the chest. Davy Jones became quite bitter when Calypso wasn't there when he showed up after those first 10 years. He then started negelecting his duties, thus the reason he started looking like a sea creature, his crew as well. I wonder tho if it works this way: After the first 10 years are up, if you return to find your lover had been true to you are you then at least able to stay on shore longer than a day, but still remain the Captain? Meaning, you still are Captain and still do your duties, but just can go back and forth on shore more often because your lover stayed faithful? That would be a little better than only one day on shore every 10 years. But then, here's another thought: Jack wanted to be Captain as well. He doesn't have anyone steady in his life. He mentioned in the one scene when the 2 little Jacks were talking with him if he could handle the 10 years at sea and then just the one day to do whatever he wants. More and more it sounds like it doesn't matter if you have a faithful lover or not, you only get one day out of every 10 years and that's it. Jones was just so bitter not to have his woman on that one day on shore. So, in the end it's a very sucky deal! Elizabeth should just get herself pressed gang on the Dutchman so she can always be with Wil. Have their kid on the Dutchman as well and just live forever that way. The one day every 10 years is just ridiculous! Elizabeth and their son will grow old and then eventually die while Wil stays forever immortal. Of course there's the bucket of seawater theory. Jones stood in a bucket of seawater to be on that sand bar with Beckett, Wil, Barbossa, Elizabeth and Jack. Why can't Wil do the same on some days? But again, it just goes back to the fact it's a sucky deal no matter what! So, even tho it's been said the Wil and Elizabeth storyline is over, really it's not. Too much is left wide open with it. Oh, I dunno, I'm tired and going to bed now...... :lol:

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

I thought in DMC they said Jones cut out his own heart because of the pain he felt from being betrayed by his love. He's never stopped loving her, that’s why he didn’t want the chest on his ship.

I thought in DMC they said Jones cut out his own heart because of the pain he felt from being betrayed by his love. He's never stopped loving her, that’s why he didn’t want the chest on his ship.

DING DING DING!!!!!!!

One of a NUMBER of inconsistancies in the PotC series.

It just seems to me that there were just too many hands in the pot and convolution of the plloting, writing, and shooting. Things just "POP" up, that really are not really anyone's fault in particular, but in the final cut of a trilogy.

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

That's right about Davy Jones cutting his own heart out, ugh! This actually is getting more confusing when I really start thinking about it. If you go by that, that Davy did that to himself then why would Wil have to do the same thing? That makes no sense. If they wanted to end the Wil and Elizabeth storyline they shouldn't have chosen to do it this way, it's got way too many plot holes. :lol:

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

Yeah I mean it's not like Davy Jones KNEW that there was some unwritten rule that he was supposed to cut his heart out when he did it....he just did it out of spontaneous despair and passion. "Waahhh...I'm so upset....Calypso stood me up...wahhh...I'm gonna go cut my heart out". That's what he did.

newbannersigtar0db.gif

Bess, darling dear, I do have one more probably superfluous questions... Why does Hector wear a glove on his left hand only? Mystique? Just because? Enquiring minds won't quit bugging me about it. :huh:

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

He's never stopped loving her, that’s why he didn’t want the chest on his ship.

that had me wondering- the reason he was having feelings of love again and shed a tear was because the heart was very close to him,right? i have to watch it about 3 more times

[Myself, I have been immersed in the idea of the pirate lords. I started noticing that they may represent actual famous pirates from the moment Mistress Ching showed up. I have been trying to figure out who each of them represent since. I'm not sure if Mistress Ching is the name of the real pirate. I have pinpointed that the french pirate Chevalle is actually Edward Lowe, jaw scar, red skeleton flag and everything. I think the short bearded villanueva might be Blackbeard due to the fact he flew the flag depicting a demon with a pitchfork stabbing a heart . I have no idea about the others and have been wracking my brain for answers. Anyone have any leads? COLOR=red]

Ohhhh...what was the name of that famous Chinese piratess? I can't recall her name and my ref books are elsewhere... Cheng I Sao! (My own (under my Mission user ID) handy Pirates sorted by Nationality post in Twill helped me! Check it out - it might prove quite useful in your hunt if you know each pirate lord's nationality: https://pyracy.com/forums/index.php?showtop...hl=nationality)

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Bess, darling dear, I do have one more probably superfluous questions... Why does Hector wear a glove on his left hand only? Mystique? Just because? Enquiring minds won't quit bugging me about it. B)

I'd have to ask Geoffrey since it appears to simply be a costume preference....

And he is LONG gone. :rolleyes:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Okay, "What did Calypso say before she went to pieces?"

She said..... nothing.

According to Terry and Susan nothing at all was scripted and the sounds were added for effect. What ever anyone thought they heard, they didn't.

Next?  :unsure:

According to Marty the mystery of what Tia said from the script is as follows:

"Malfaiteur en Tombeau, Crochir l'Esplanade, Dans l'Fond d'l'eau!"

Translation:

"Across all the seas, find (search out) the path to he who wrongfully entombed me!"

I wouldn't read too much into the flags. I drew a few "known" ensigns, and a few made-up ones, and Gore picked the ones he liked. Those were the ones I made. In the original script, Blackbeard, Roberts, etc. were all to be pirate lords, but since the script was being hashed out as we filmed, this all changed. In reality, while researching descriptions from first hand accounts, it has become clear that some of the flags I.D.ed as certain pirate's ensigns by the Maritime Museum weren't necessarily so. It also appears that several pirates borrowed designs from each other. If Gore wanted a flag for a certain ship, that's the one we used. The Lords were more composites than anything.

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.

Okay, "What did Calypso say before she went to pieces?"

She said..... nothing.

According to Terry and Susan nothing at all was scripted and the sounds were added for effect. What ever anyone thought they heard, they didn't.

Next?   :lol:

Translation:

"Across all the seas, find (search out) the path to he who wrongfully entombed me!"

I found this info on KTTC as well, per the script.

I'll have to make an effort to view Calypso as she is screaming this out among the noise and clatter...

kttcsignature.jpg

Translation:

(shrug) Well.... I suppose the internet could know more then the writers.

I asked The guys and that was what they told me.

She said nothing.

Maybe the answer is somewhere half way between..... I'll let them know they are getting old and cannot remeember what they wrote. :lol:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Translation:

(shrug) Well.... I suppose the internet could know more then the writers.

She said nothing.

Maybe the answer is somewhere half way between..... I'll let them know they are getting old and cannot remeember what they wrote. :lol:

:lol::lol:;):lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

(shrug) Well.... I suppose  the internet could know more then the writers.

She said nothing. 

Maybe the answer is somewhere half way between..... I'll let them know they are getting old and cannot remeember what they wrote.  :unsure:

:lol::lol::lol:24.gif:lol::lol::lol:

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?