Pewter Piece of 8 buttons

On an historical note, it is not likely that anyone would take a whole eight real coin and turn it into a button, much less a whole set of them. I don't know the exchange rate then vs. now, but just offhand I think that 50 some buttons made from money would represent a small fortune to the common man. Also, I don't recall any historical references for such.

Now mind you that this is just from an historical accuracy standpoint. If anyone wants to go Hollywood, none of us will say anything against it as many of us flop from one extreme to the other depending on the venue. But a lot of people on this board want accuracy, especially as regards coats and such, and so the lack of response.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

• 2 weeks later...

Slightly OOP, but I'm willing to stand partially corrected. Hereare buttons recovered from a wreck mid-18th century.

1741_2realcoinbtnsm.jpg

1744_2realcoinbtnsm.jpg

"Recovered from a mid-18th century shipwreck off the coast of Cuba, the Mexico City mint silver two real coins of 1741 and 1744 shown above became coat or jacket buttons via the simple addition of looped silver wire shanks. Similar examples have been recovered from land sites in the Floridas and elsewhere in the former Spanish colonies. Together with other coat buttons and cuff link forms, they are members of a large family of patriotic accessories that were very popular in use by Spanish soldiers and citizens during the 18th and early 19th centuries."

Anyone find anything earlier?

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...