PYRACY PUB ARTISTS

Ransom

I finished Patrick's today. It'll go out tomorrow.

I recieved Ransom's yesterday, and have one page completed.

Pheew... :blink:

Got the addy Silkie.

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bravo, lad, bravo! :blink:

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Patrick's book sent to Silkie,

YAY......

I'm really glad we went to once a month..... what I'm working on for Silkie's is happly impressive...... (I'll have to scan it so I can post it later....)

This might be a bit premature..... but what if we start "Round Two the Sketchbook's revenge" (or some other good title...) on Wednesday October 31st.......

This round of sketchbooks should all be done by then....so it gives us some time to post some of the entrys that we really liked, and get more people interested/excited about the project....... and it's such a good date to start the next round.......

I had every intension of asking people to post pictures from the books, once they got them back. I think it would be a great way to show everyone what we did, and how much fun we had. Then more people would want to play the next time. This first time was just an experiment to see if it would work.

As for another round of books, I'm very game, but as I was the organiser of this round, I'll bow out and let someone else handle it next time. (That's a hint, Patrick!)

Halloween is a great date to start. Pirate All Hallows Eve, ghost ships, haunted taverns, Dead Men Tell No Tales! :angry:

BTW...any word on Boot's book? Does Lady B still have it?

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

I'll bow out and let someone else handle it next time. (That's a hint, Patrick!)

Awh... but it's just setting up the sequince...... it dosen't really matter where the sketchbooks are going, it still cost the same to mail them.....

For the next round, shipping is something that people should be aware of..... it's not just getting your drawings done and to the Post Office on time.... Some of the heavier sketchbooks are costing about $6.00 to $7.00 to mail...... Once a month, that isn't really a problem.... but anyone that wants to play, should know that......

But the project is so much fun, that it's worth it......... you get to see everyone elses work, and add yours to thier books.....

First Round was (is) fun..... I think after we post some of the drawings, and collages that were put into our books, more people will wanna play..... sure, with more people, it will take longer to get your book back..... but it will have more fun stuff from other Pyrates in it...... Cool.....

We've figured out that twice a month was too quick... once a month works better, we now have an idea about what mailing cost will be, I think all the "roughf" (dang.... can't spell tonight) parts have been figured out, and we can let anyone that wants to play in round two kinda know what to expect.....

But DANG..... it was (is) such a fun project............

In the near future the post of the contributations in the sketchbooks will show that........ :lol:

Halloween eh? I'd be in for a "haunted" project.

Count me in!

:lol:

(Just to confirm, I have Ransom's book currently. It goes out Sept 1?)

Would a Halloween round begin with new contributors?

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

Would a Halloween round begin with new contributors?

I think so.... I figure there should be a few more Pyrates that would wanna play now........

I figure we will be done with this round at the end of October..... and so we don't have withdrawles in November, we should start Planning on starting the next round on Holloween day..... (it's just too much fun to pass up.....)

I just finished Silkie's sketchbook tonight...... I still have to scan all the pages, and then staple them together for her book...... but dang... I outdid myself with this one...... I can't wait untill I can post the drawings......cool.... an 18 page comic book........ I'm realy happy with how it turned out.......

Like I posted earlier.... each sketchbook has it's own character.... and that enfleunces what gets drawn in them........

cool.... an 18 page comic book........

;)

B);)

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

I really want to scan and post the comic book, but I don't want to take away from Silkie's enjoyment of getting to see it in her sketchbook......

Then it occured to me....

I could start a new thread and post it there.....(with a buncha Silkie warnings..... "No peeking Silkie.... you have to wait untill your Sketchbood with the original comic arrives....."

That way other members of the Pub could see it....

That brings up another interesting question....

This round of Sketchbooks will end in October, and everyone should be recieving thier book in November....

If we're going to start a new round of Sketchbooks on Halloween, what is the best way to post and show some of our contributions, so other Pyrates could get interested, and want to participate in the next round?

I guess when you get finished one Pirate's journal, post in big letters:

"____________________ do not peak. ART JOURNAL SPOILERS AHEAD!!"

Or something to that effect... :D

Start a new thread, i.e. PEW's JOURNAL, therefore knowing I shouldn't click on that thread....

Good lord ...so much reading reading!

Any way ...I got Patrick's Book Today!

Some very nice stuff! Feeling Guilty That I rushed Pew's book. Well lad, perhaps I'll make you some additional entries and send them at a later date ...perhaps.

I'm in for the Halloween round but I would like to strongly suggest that the weight of the book be considered very closely. I also think I may have sent some extra paper with mine ...bad idea, don't include anything extra ...it is expensive enough. Also, don't put off mailing the books at all, rush shipping of a heavy book is expensive. Howerer, you can send a book for a cheaper "book" price but it takes longer.

With the Halloween book I think I may use the same book cover Just add artwork to the back of the book. Include a tab for each chapter. so I can mail it out as "Chapter 2" Each tab will have one of my creations on it ...the shipping will be less for everyone if I take out chapter one after I post it.

Some very nice stuff! Feeling Guilty That I rushed Pew's book.

I was rushed when I got Boot's sketchbook (that was when we started, so it was every other week....) but now that we are sending the monthly, we do have more time....

I think that the shipping isn't too bad.... the last two books cost about $7.50 to mail, and once a month I can deal with that, I just think anyone that wants to play in round two should know about the cost, so they arn't supprised.....

The ring sketchbooks like Boots and Randsom used have enough paper, so you don't have to worry about doing to many pages.... I made mine with 50 or 60 pages, and that might be cutting it a little close if we have more people in round two..... For Silkies, I could have dug out my hole punch and added pages, but attaching a comic book to just one page was a fun solution.....

Each sketchbook has a certain "style", that sets the "tone" of what is added to them..... but that's part of the fun.....

I think in round two, we should post when we ship a book, and when we recieve a book.... that way, by going through the post in this thread, we can figure out how long it takes for someone to get a book, and can adjust our shipping accordingly......

This is/has been a really fun project..... I wanna keep it going......

:huh: Thanks, Patrick. I always knew it would be a fun project, once people got "into" it. I've seen examples of this type of thing being done by collage artists, and I have three books that deal with just this type of book exchange. I just thought it would be fun to try it on the Pub, since there are so many artist members.

As for the mailing, I agree, I don't think $7 dollars or so is too much, since you only mail out a book once a month. I don't recommend using the cheap book rate, as it takes forever to get from one place to another.

I am still without a book to work on until Silkie finishes up with Patrick's, so I'm still becalmed until after Sept 1.

Go ahead and start another thread for the pictures, Patrick. As usual, you're one beat ahead of me. I thought starting a seperate thread for the pictures would get more people's attention, and hopefully, more players for next time. I have photos of the work I did in Silkie's and P.E.W.'s books, so I can post some of those. I just don't have any pictues of my own book. :huh: Mine was already gone by the time Silkie posted that great idea.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

I posted the Comic up in PYRATE POP (So no peeking Silkie or P.E.W. , it's more fun to read on paper than on a computer.....)

I think we should move the second round thread up into PYRATE POP also.... THE WAY TO A PYRATE'S HEART is more for food and such, POP is where people looking for art and movies and such go......

I figure I'll mail Silkie's sketchbook out early....

But I started thinking about what I want to do for P.E.W.'s sketchbook, and came-up with another comic book idea...... the main character just kinda pop'ed into my head, and then most of the story fell into place.....

I use to draw comic books all the time, they were dirty 8 pagers that were fun to draw, but most of the men I showed them to just looked at the pictures..... so I kinda gave up drawing them.....

Now that I started drawing them again (well, clean ones..... B) ) we deffinately have to start the second round of Sketchbooks......

My husband suggested that the next round of books be stories, each started by the orignal person, then added to by each next artist in line, who could take the story anywhere they wanted. The format wouldn't have to be restricted to comic book style, since we're not all so good at that as Patrick is, but like illustrations in a storybook. When you got your book back, you'd get the surprise of seeing where your story ended up.

Just a thought.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

I don't know...... for one or two of the books it might be fun, but I think it might be too restrictive to have a different story in all of them.....

I wonder how it would work if someone whanted a specific theme for thier sketchbooks.... (Something like Pyrates and mermaids, or Ghost Pyrates)

So for a story, or theme, on the fisrt page of the sketchbook, they could set it up......and let everyone know what sorta stuff they wanted.....

Or they could just leave it up to whoever is contributing to the book at the time, to decide what they wanted to do.....

For me personally, I'd rather leave it up to each artist as to what they wanted to put in my book. That way it's more of a surpise, and no one feels intimidated by a limitation.

I just like the "Whatever happens, happens" anticipation. :lol:

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up.

Getting close to the end of the month. How is everyone doing? Ready to mail the books out on the 1st?

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Mine may be a few days out. I had to order something online for my pages and it hasn't come in yet.

Almost finished though...