Pretty guns.

The Chapman

werder1646.jpg

Kind of off-topic, but these are just too pretty. They were on display at a gathering of the Utah Arms Collectors Association a few years ago.

They are made by Felix Werder, Swiss maker, in 1648. This seems late for wheellocks; but the type was evidently made by gunsmiths in Europe well into the mid-17th century.

Werder's specialty was brass work; this pair isn't gold plated or anything, that's brass. His genius was developing a cold-hammered process for the brass used in the barrels which resulted in a strong, somewhat lighter tube.

You know, with my own very limited experience in handling pistols of this grip angle, which is very different than modern pistols, it's pretty amazing how well these things 'point'. At useful ranges sights really aren't that necessary.

Pauly caught a bullet

But it only hit his leg

Well it should have been a better shot

And got him in the head

They were all in love with dyin'

They were drinking from a fountain

That was pouring like an avalanche

Coming down the mountain

Butthole Surfers,

PEPPER

Those are pretty... About that grip angle, I agree the old guns were natually pointable when used with one hand. The modern two-handed grip doesn't work so well. So, when shooting the old guns you have to learn the old style, which is cool. Living history, gotta love it.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...