Another one would be "mind your Ps & Qs"

Cheers

Redhand

:huh:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If ye be looking for a way of interperating Patrick O'Brain's nautical terms, ye have to go no further than Dean Kings book " A Sea of Words: A Lexicon and Companion for Patrick O'Brain's Seafaring Tales" . It covers everything nautical as well as everthing that Maturin study and talked about, and just about everything in between.

King also wrote " Harbors and High Seas: An Atlas and Geographical Guide to the Complete Audrey-Maturin Novels of Patrick O'Brian ". This covers just what it says in the title. It starts with the first book and shows the places and conditions and some of the history of every voyage that Audbrey and Maturin take.

It can be slow reading sometimes but both books can come in might handy when ye get stuck in an O'Brain tale.

I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning. To me it smells like....PIRACY!

Another good reference is 'The Illustrated Companion to Nelson's Navy'

by Nicholas Blake and Richard Lawrence. Stackpole Books, 2000, isbn 0-8117-0864-0

This is an excellent book about the ships, the men, and the navy. References the O'Brian books, CS Forrester, Dudley Pope and some others. Puts them in perspective and give a good command of the lingo.

Hawkyns

:lol:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

"The soundtrack is freakin' grrrreat!!.. All local crew are welcome to a burnt copy...touch base,........free is good!!!"....Goes back to burnin' yet another copy.........

:ph34r:

I'll take ye up on that, Cap'n...now it's just a matter o' getting me blank CD in the mail...

Thankee!

What a terrific film! :lol:

I saw a screening last night. The thing left me breathless!

I'm pretty sure there will be no dissapoinments here!

Go early and often!!! :ph34r:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

"The soundtrack is freakin' grrrreat!!.. All local crew are welcome to a burnt copy...touch base,........free is good!!!"....Goes back to burnin' yet another copy.........

:ph34r:

Pyrate, might I take ye up on ta offer too? Thanks much...

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

First Mate Jan, and Renato Beluche, and I, just got back from a showing of Master and Commander: we all heartily recommend it. As they say, "if you go to only one movie this year...": by all means, see it!

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

I just got back from the theatre, and I'm still quite tipsy from the pre-movie bash...all I have to say is...

...FRIGGIN' AWESOME!!!

I just can't wait to see it next weekend with me girl and while sober. I might catch more of the movie then, even though it was already...

...FRIGGIN' AWESOME!!!

Coastie :ph34r:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

Saw it opening day...and must say it was awesome....and showed things the most realistic I have ever see them....it truely gives a idea how things were....and absolutely loved the ending.....enough said....

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

Thar be a new book out called " Patrick O'Brians Navy" by Richard O'Neil listed in the Barns & Noble catalog. It's listed as "This illustrated companion to the Audbrey-Maturin novels creates a vivid picture of 19th-century naval operations, with detailed diagrams of warships, a glossary of nautical terminology and slang, and a complete list of the series' major characters." Pub. Price $30.00, Member Price $27.00. I,ve not seen it yet but it is on my wish list, it couldn't hurt and it goes well with the rest of me O'Brian collection.

I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning. To me it smells like....PIRACY!

I be wondering, I bein off the ship fer a day er two but havin the movie already been comin out err arrrr we still waitin fer it to come out?

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

I just saw it last night and were impressed in the extreme. Loved the ships and the gun play brought a tear to me eye the effects were incredible the sound of the French cannaon balls hummin over head brought goose bumps to me hide . Do ye figure there might be another O'Brian film some day ?

Lord above please send a dove with wings as sharp as razors , to cuts the throats of them there blokes what sells bad booze to sailors ..

" Illigitimiti non carborundum . "

When we saw it, we arrived about 20 minutes before show time, and the theatre was already so packed that we had to sit in the front row; something that I'd ordinarily hate, but in this case, it made me feel that I was a crewman!

A great film, very authentic and realistic; uncomfortably so, at times.

Even had me rootin' fer the bad guys!

:D

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"