Baratarians

capnwilliam

capn william.... I am very interested in the subject. I know very little about Jean Lifitte. I would welcome more info about him. As far as privateeres verses pirates; well, there is a lot of debate and discussion about that. Some say that the only difference between the two was a letter of marque. Others claim there was no real difference. Then you have many who started out as privateers and "turned" pirate. I personally believe that there was a true difference and that a true privateer made a real difference in the events that they were hired to participate in.

What say the rest of you. Lets hear what you have to say on this subject. Also don't forget to share whatever info. any of you have on Lifitte... argghhh..... The Capt.

There is a whole group devoted to the study of Jean and Pierre Laffite and the other Baratarians -- The Laffite Society. See their website at: http://www.thelaffitesociety.com

They put out a very impressive publication, the Laffite Society Chronicles. I believe all back issues are available. Any Laffite afficianado should have these. There's information at the website on how to order them.

Recent articles have discussed what really happened to Jean Laffite in his final years; an account of a trip by several society members to the Yucatan to search out places the Laffites were said to have been; investigations into the authenticity of the "Journal of Jean Laffite" (a document that is claimed by some to be the autobiography of Jean Laffite); and a valuable listing of primary source material on the Laffites.

BTW -- one of my favorite pirate movies is the second version of "The Buccaneer", starring Yul Brynner as Jean Laffite.

Blackheartedly yrs,

--Jamaica Rose

FUN

PROFITABLE

LEGAL

Pick Two

--Jamaica Rose

Editor of No Quarter Given - since 1993

http://www.noquartergiven.net/

"Bringing a little pirate history into everyone's life"

Find No Quarter Given

... on Facebook: facebook.com/noquartergiven

... and on Twitter: @NoQuarterGiven

Thanks for the web site reference, Jamaica Rose!

I'm not sure if Lafitte was a pirate or not. (I'm here defining a pirate as one who plunders ships for gain and who doesn't operate under a letter of marque). Granted, the distinction between a pirate and a privateer becomes moot if you're on the receiving end; also, some pirates have turned privateer, and vice versa. But I see a privateer as being one who plunders the vessels of a belligerent nation under color of a letter of marque. To the extent that he plunders outside of his letter, he is a pirate.

It is my understanding that the Lafitte brothers freely admitted that they were smugglers, and that they had a letter of marque from the city of Cartagena which authorized them to attack Spanish shipping.

Does anyone have any evidence to the contrary?

I'll be back to the debate after payin' me annual tribute to the Empire's revenue agents.

Faire winds, lusty wenches, and rich plunder to ye all! (Lusty lads to Jamaica!)

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

the Lafitte blacksmith shop ,still standing in New Orleans is one of my alltime favorite buildings in the states.it is rustic,beautiful and kept up in very nice condition.

Capt Weaver

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions

some books about them;

Pirate of Barataria by L.B. Evans

The Baratarians and the Battle of New Orleans by Jane Lucas Grummond

and R.R. Morazan

Jean Laffite, Prince of Pirates by Jack C. Ramsay, Jr.

The Journal of Jean Laffite: The Privateer-Patriot's Own Story by John

Andrechyne Lafitte

Laffite of Louisiana by Mary Devereux

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

aahhh-a tavern that never closes-a glorious place indeed.

I love new orleans,but alas,I am alergic to mold and mold loves new orleans also :huh:

Capt William,you are lucky to live in a place of such beauty,history and decadence.

Capt Weaver

Capt Weaver

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Aye, Capt. Weaver, thes-here capital o' New France - under temporary Yankee occupation - does raise as much mold as it does cain! :huh:

That's a goodlie list o' books. I'll have to try to read some when I have time!

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"