A sign yer gettin' old

Matusalem

I forgot. What was 20, 000 Leagues Under the Sea about? The last time I swa it, I was 11, and that was in the gym of my school. On a 16mm film projector, no less! I'm talking about the original, not the re-make.

SHIP2-1.jpg

Kirk Douglas stars as Ned Land and James Mason as Captain Nemo in this classic Jules Verne underwater adventure. The movie, which garnered two Academy Awards in 1954 (for Special Effects and Art Direction), chronicles Nemo's heroic rescue of shipwrecked survivors and their journey "20,000 leagues" beneath the waters of the Earth.

And Kirk Douglas got to sing *A Whale of a Tale*!! :rolleyes:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

I never saw it either, always heard it refered to and saw snippets. Did you happen to see the movie "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen"? They have a Captain Nemo in that I believe. I taped it I have to see it from start to finish but looks like a good thriller.

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg

Lady bess wrote

And Kirk Douglas got to sing *A Whale of a Tale*!!

'Whale of a Tale' was on a supplimental CD of Sea Shanties that only comes with the Walmart issue DVD of POTC-DMC.... which unfortunately does not come with the second disc of DMC bloopers, etc. I had to buy another copy of DMC elsewhere just to get disc II.

SHIP2-1.jpg

And Lady Alyx, the1954 verison of 20,0000 leagues featured the Mother of all 'Kraken vs. ship' scenes. From what I recall, I found the scene with the Kraken's beak far more scarier than the one in DMC with Capt' Jack.

SHIP2-1.jpg

I definetely have to watch that movie...also I heard the other day they found a new relative of our dear Kraken...they were calling it the psychodelic octopus..from under the ice caps...I have to see what I can find. I guess since the polar caps are melting they are finding some new creatures they never saw before.

Found a link with the pic..

Pic of new Octopus

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg

There be a silent version many years older then Disney's. While not bein' true ta the book old Walter did make a fyne movie. Many years was the 20K squid on display in Anaheim. Scare the holy shite out of a 4 year old I be tellin' ya.

Why did JV be killin' off Captain Nemo in 'Mysterious Island"? Makes it hard ta follow 20K's plot when the main character be ded B)

PIRATES!  Because ye can't do epic shyte wi' normal people.

In the early days of Disneyland there was a 20,000 leagues exhibit in Tomorrowland. Basically, you walked through the sets used for the film. It had the organ room, the fabulous-looking (and usable) diving suits and the big round window, outside which was the giant squid, which was built lifesize and really looked alive, with tentacles writhing and beak coming out and snapping. There was also one of the models of the Nautilus, which was one of the greatest pieces of design in the history of Hollywood. It was only there for a few years. I sometimes wonder where all that stuff is now. Probably in a warehouse someplace. They never throw anything away. Back in the days before computer-generated effects they performed wonders.

There was also one of the models of the Nautilus, which was one of the greatest pieces of design in the history of Hollywood. It was only there for a few years. I sometimes wonder where all that stuff is now.

The 11 footer be in Disneyworld Fla. IMHO the boat be missed when none of the classic plastic model companies be puttin' one out. Ben Franklin an his 9 twin brothers can get ye a good lookin' 31" resin replica but nobody be talkin' ta us common folk yet.

PIRATES!  Because ye can't do epic shyte wi' normal people.

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (or LXG) was a load of dreck. It would have been better had i not read the comic book it is based off of. Save yourself the trouble and read the comics.

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Heave Ho, theives and beggers

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

"I don't care who ye say you are lad, if ye say 'savvy' one more time, I'll bury this cutlass in that thick skull

of yers!"

-Captain John Young - PILF

In the early days of Disneyland there was a 20,000 leagues exhibit in Tomorrowland. Basically, you walked through the sets used for the film. It had the organ room, the fabulous-looking (and usable) diving suits and the big round window, outside which was the giant squid, which was built lifesize and really looked alive, with tentacles writhing and beak coming out and snapping. There was also one of the models of the Nautilus, which was one of the greatest pieces of design in the history of Hollywood. It was only there for a few years. I sometimes wonder where all that stuff is now. Probably in a warehouse someplace. They never throw anything away. Back in the days before computer-generated effects they performed wonders.

Believe it or not....part of the squid is still in storage out at the park.

Back in the day, it used to hang from the ceiling of a ware house and could be lowered to scare visitors but now the poor thing is a little frayed.

(Chuckle)

Kinda like the rest if us that remember it! :blink:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Well, last night I did manage to pick up a DVD of 20,000 leagues Under the Sea (the 1954 version) in attemt to re-live a moment of my childhood...now it's all coming back. For those who are serious fans of POTC, this is a mandatory must-have. Disney/Buena Vista doing what they do best....pirates & rogues on the high seas. Some real parellels with DMC, particularly with the Kraken, and the captain's monstrous pipe organ. I didn't see the re-make, didn't care to.

SHIP2-1.jpg

20K was one of my childhood favorites. I just saw it on tv a couple of weeks ago. It was just as corny and good as it was way back then. I still plan on buying it one of these days. My sister knows the words to A Whale of a Tale by heart too. One of my favorites for sure!

I caught "20,000 Leagues" a couple of weeks ago as well, on Turner Classic Movies, or American Movie Classics...one of those. What a blast from the past THAT was. I love Peter Lorre in anything...and I had forgotten the scene of Kirk Douglas playing his tortoise shell "guitar" in a reprise of "Whale of a Tale" alongside Nemo's pet seal.

Good thing I had only had one Guinness at that point...

Patrick Hand - not only do I remember "Blackbeard's Ghost", I had the comic book AND the 33 1/3 LP version. You're triggering flashbacks, mate. :P